Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 01:26 AM   #106
othervoice1
HackMaster
 
othervoice1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Indiana
Posts: 3,737
Yea I always hate that - why make a cover or even pics on the back that give stuff away? I also really hate it when a movie trailer basically gives big parts of the movie away or shows every exciting part the movie had to offer. I think the Audition Blu-ray was another one I thought the cover said too much- but maybe that is just me
__________________
'Passion is the source of our finest moments. The joy of love... the clarity of hatred... and the ecstasy of grief.'
Angel
Passion
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:30 AM   #107
soxfan666
Maniac
 
soxfan666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 943
Watched last night and was disappointed. I wanted something that had more horror elements and less attempts at comedy. Recent movies like this have made me appreciate others like Insidious even more for their attempts at true horror.
__________________
"Me fail English? That's unpossible."
soxfan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:35 AM   #108
Zombie Dude
HackMaster
 
Zombie Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,285
I guess because Joss Whedon was behind this I never expected a serious film. I really enjoyed this one. They took a stab at the slasher movie in what I thought was an interesting and clever way. The acting and dialogue was great and I enjoyed the twists. I especially enjoyed the ending. I'm so sick of films ending the way you would have expected this one to.
__________________
The Horror Collection Corner: http://www.youtube.com/user/ZombieDude0001/videos
Zombie Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:10 AM   #109
Katatonia
Master of Doom
 
Katatonia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Missouri
Posts: 17,703
I didn't care much for this one at all. It all seemed incredibly contrived, and the further on it just kept getting more annoying. It reminded me of Cube (which I love), but from the start fully showing the "other side" without any of the suspense/mystery.
__________________
"We know nothing in reality; for truth lies in an abyss." - Democritus

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:16 AM   #110
Dobby
HackMaster
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
I guess because Joss Whedon was behind this I never expected a serious film. I really enjoyed this one. They took a stab at the slasher movie in what I thought was an interesting and clever way. The acting and dialogue was great and I enjoyed the twists. I especially enjoyed the ending. I'm so sick of films ending the way you would have expected this one to.
I knew you were goong to say that your predictable.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:23 AM   #111
Zombie Dude
HackMaster
 
Zombie Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
I knew you were goong to say that your predictable.
I can't help thinking the film was decent. It's not going to win any awards but it's much better than some of the shit-fests they've been releasing these days.
__________________
The Horror Collection Corner: http://www.youtube.com/user/ZombieDude0001/videos
Zombie Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #112
Anthropophagus
HackMaster
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan666 View Post
Watched last night and was disappointed. I wanted something that had more horror elements and less attempts at comedy. Recent movies like this have made me appreciate others like Insidious even more for their attempts at true horror.
+1, high hopes for Sinister as well.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:22 PM   #113
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!
 
Shannafey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
Posts: 6,571
Won't get into a big discussion. Watched it this week and really loved it, but can see how others hated it and found it contrived. I did have a few issues with it. Will make a post later.
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:09 AM   #114
othervoice1
HackMaster
 
othervoice1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Indiana
Posts: 3,737
I know I said it before but Im gonna keep saying it - I love this movie <:
__________________
'Passion is the source of our finest moments. The joy of love... the clarity of hatred... and the ecstasy of grief.'
Angel
Passion
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:47 AM   #115
Paff
Moderator
 
Paff's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SoCal
Posts: 7,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGBRadioMoskow View Post
I should have recognized the meta plot, rather kicking myself in the arse for not doing so. But the deconstruction on the net states that the "reason" is...

Spoiler:
The "evil gods" are the horror movie audience. The organization (in an obvious nod are run by "directors") is just a metaphor for the movie studios - with each location being references to the regional flavors of horror film "genres". In order to keep the "evil gods" - the audience - slumberingly content, they are expected to produce entertainment that follows a predictable set of character and plot points, with the means of the characters' demise just being an unimportant and interchangeable ingredient in the soup. Fail to follow the cliches, try to shake the formula up instead of catering to the lowest denominator, and the "evil gods" will rise up and take their wrath out on the "world" - the movie industry world.
I completely missed this interpretation too, and now that I read it, I like the movie even more (just saw it for the first time last night). It's sort of like Scream, except that it critiques the audience for EXPECTING cliches, whereas Scream critiques the audience for not being able to recognize cliches. Cabin in the Woods is far less insulting in that aspect, and the critique is even justified (unlike Scream, which seemed to point out the obvious absurdities in horror that I and most horror fans have been well aware of for many years; it's a very condescending film).

And if nothing else, Kristen Connolly looks damn cute in her undies.
__________________
CINEMA PAFF - Your BB-Movie Showcase *

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:59 AM   #116
Marclar
Victim
 
Marclar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 124
This movie has been raking up some very good ratings and the reviews looked a little too good to me. So i watched it and....did not like it that much simply because they stuffed a little too much into the story. The ending was clever enough, but the whole movie did not flow well for me. I give it 3 out of 5.
Marclar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:09 AM   #117
Steel76
Maniac
 
Steel76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 923
I love this movie. Best horror comedy since...way too long.
But it seems itīs a movie you either love or hate

The ending was brilliant
__________________
Watching my filthy collection on Super 8mm, VHS, Laserdisc, DVD and Blu-Ray.

Last edited by Steel76; 10-01-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Steel76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #118
ImmortalSlasher
Stalker
 
ImmortalSlasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: In a dark moonlit forest.
Posts: 170
Here's my Cabin in the Woods review posted on the other horror forum. People seem to have forgotten about this one. Or maybe I was just too late. Let's see if anyone here still wants to chat about it.


SPOILERS!!! (Just in case)















I was looking forward to this one. Iím a big fan of Buffy and was hoping for a real good horror movie. It turns out this is like Scream and basically a commentary on why all horror movie rules and themes are tired and overused. It actually gives a reason for it! Which is kind of interesting because depending on your point of view, the viewer could be one of two groups in the movie. But Scream is better as an actual movie. Because itís more than a just a commentary on horror movies but a good movie too. Something like the Starz ďGoing to PiecesĒ special will explain just as much if not more about the workings of horror movies than Cabin in the Woods. So the only real reason to watch Cabin in the Woods for repeated viewings is to pick out all the references in the basement, control room, elevator, and final scenes. Cabin in the Woods really is a love / hate horror movie tale. But it is more hate or tired of this stuff it seems. They show that even nine year old Japanese girls can defeat the ghost girl. The whole movie makes fun of the old and tired plots but they donít make anything new until the ending minutes. And even then itís a big tease. Itís not really scary but thatís part of the joke too. That this stuff isnít scary anymore.

For all the secrecy of this movie, I was surprised that the twist was revealed in the titles and opening minutes. I thought that maybe the monsters were virtual because of force field and how it was shown on posters. But they were real monsters and even explained! The movie reminded me of the old Night Trap videogame where the player would basically watch kids in a house and save them (if they wanted to) from vampires (I think). The bad guys were always people dressed in black from what I remember.

Cabin in the Woods did miss one of my favorite horror tropes of having the villain use victims bodies at end, which you think would happen with the blood sacrifice. I think thatís a flaw since the actual bodies are never collected for the blood sacrifice. You would think that there would be a collection crew picking up the bodies similar to the clean up crew mentioned concerning the merman. And with these crews, why arenít they prepared to handle the monsters? Since this happens every year, I assume the majority of monsters have to be returned to their cages.

The best scenes to me were with the blonde girl. Her make out with the wolf and sadly short fireplace dance. That should have been stretched out like the dance in Death Proof. I like the Stoner character and his early dialog in the van explains the ending decision. Many of his lines are great, especially his introduction scene about the cops fearing his ďtype.Ē Also the dialog about ďdrawing a lineĒ over reading the book in the basement.

I didnít like the ending that much. I thought for all the attempt at something creative and new, basically saying something worse is out there and leaving it to a sequel is a cop out. I was waiting for the movie to be a movie and it ends at that point. I agree with the Stoner, I would like to see the ďAncient OnesĒ as large statues have always freaked me out since I was a kid. Iíve seen tons of ancient civilization statues in museums and other countries. Some modern large statues are kind of scary too. I visited the Awakening statue in DC a long time ago when they still had it in its original location. I didnít want to go near the thing. It is just like the last scene in Cabin in the Woods although a bit smaller. So the movie was kind of a miss to me. But I would watch that sequel if it ever happened.


Questions - Something I wasnít quite sure of. Does only one ritual worldwide need to be successful? You would think there would be more panic in the control room if what we are seeing is the last attempt before the ďAncient OnesĒ are revived.

Also, was anyone else slightly disappointed by the final "Ancient Ones" chamber. This could have referenced tons of old Gods with all their huge temples and giant statues. Maybe the budget wasn't high enough. I thought that would have been cool if the survivors realize that all those old Gods were just contained before the final surprise character dialog.






ImmortalSlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #119
spawningblue
Deadite
 
spawningblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,047
SPOILERS!! I don't feel like putting everything in a spoiler bar so don't read this if you haven't seen the film!











Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
I was looking forward to this one. I’m a big fan of Buffy and was hoping for a real good horror movie. It turns out this is like Scream and basically a commentary on why all horror movie rules and themes are tired and overused. It actually gives a reason for it! Which is kind of interesting because depending on your point of view, the viewer could be one of two groups in the movie. But Scream is better as an actual movie. Because it’s more than a just a commentary on horror movies but a good movie too. Something like the Starz “Going to Pieces” special will explain just as much if not more about the workings of horror movies than Cabin in the Woods. So the only real reason to watch Cabin in the Woods for repeated viewings is to pick out all the references in the basement, control room, elevator, and final scenes. Cabin in the Woods really is a love / hate horror movie tale. But it is more hate or tired of this stuff it seems. They show that even nine year old Japanese girls can defeat the ghost girl. The whole movie makes fun of the old and tired plots but they don’t make anything new until the ending minutes. And even then it’s a big tease. It’s not really scary but that’s part of the joke too. That this stuff isn’t scary anymore.
I didn't know what I was getting into when I first saw this but it was a pleasant surprise. This ended up being one of my favourite horror movies in a long time and I had no problem with the comedy elements. The dialog was extremely creative and witty, never feeling like they were trying to hard or going on for too long. From the previews I thought it would be more like The Evil Dead and thankfully it wasn't since we will be getting the remake of that this year, which will hopefully deliver the scares that this film may be lacking (Although I did kind of find the scenes with the brutish zombie frightening to an extent).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
For all the secrecy of this movie, I was surprised that the twist was revealed in the titles and opening minutes. I thought that maybe the monsters were virtual because of force field and how it was shown on posters. But they were real monsters and even explained!
I never even noticed this. The ending was a complete surprise to me and what a thrill! It was a horror fans wet dream, insanely awesome and fun trying to pick out all the references.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
And with these crews, why aren’t they prepared to handle the monsters? Since this happens every year, I assume the majority of monsters have to be returned to their cages.
I thought they were. Didn't they have several swat team like soldiers to fight them off? I think they were prepared to handle one or two at a time, but not all of them at once, and how could they? It was just pure insanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
The best scenes to me were with the blonde girl. Her make out with the wolf and sadly short fireplace dance. That should have been stretched out like the dance in Death Proof. I like the Stoner character and his early dialog in the van explains the ending decision. Many of his lines are great, especially his introduction scene about the cops fearing his “type.” Also the dialog about “drawing a line” over reading the book in the basement.
I loved everything about this film it's hard to pick favourites but those were great scenes. I love how just about every thing had a payoff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
I didn’t like the ending that much. I thought for all the attempt at something creative and new, basically saying something worse is out there and leaving it to a sequel is a cop out. I was waiting for the movie to be a movie and it ends at that point. I agree with the Stoner, I would like to see the “Ancient Ones” as large statues have always freaked me out since I was a kid. I’ve seen tons of ancient civilization statues in museums and other countries. Some modern large statues are kind of scary too. I visited the Awakening statue in DC a long time ago when they still had it in its original location. I didn’t want to go near the thing. It is just like the last scene in Cabin in the Woods although a bit smaller. So the movie was kind of a miss to me. But I would watch that sequel if it ever happened.
The ending is the one thing that people tend to have a problem with, personally it worked for me. After the insanity with all the monsters I don't think there was anyway to top it, so why try? They have to save something if there ever was a sequel. That and I think you are right abut budget. This wasn't a huge film and I'm sure all the monsters took a chunk out of their budget. They accomplished quite a bit in those regards in my opinion. Every movie could always be bigger and have more, but you have to be realistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
Questions - Something I wasn’t quite sure of. Does only one ritual worldwide need to be successful? You would think there would be more panic in the control room if what we are seeing is the last attempt before the “Ancient Ones” are revived.

Also, was anyone else slightly disappointed by the final "Ancient Ones" chamber. This could have referenced tons of old Gods with all their huge temples and giant statues. Maybe the budget wasn't high enough. I thought that would have been cool if the survivors realize that all those old Gods were just contained before the final surprise character dialog.
Yes, I got the impression that only one ritual had to be successful, and they were the ones to always come out in the end. I think they were just really cocky. They had a perfect record I believe and it was never a problem for them. They started to get pretty worried once things didn't go exactly as planned but again I don't think they foresaw anything that happened. AS for the last part, again I'm sure it had to do with budget, or they just didn't want to stretch out the ending any longer. After having all the monsters, they didn't want to lose the impact that scene had and stretch it out with if you thought that was cool, check out this. I think the giants were just a fun quick way to end it off.
__________________
"First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me. Blow."

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast

Last edited by spawningblue; 01-17-2013 at 04:51 PM.
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #120
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on
 
bigdaddyhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Under a rock
Posts: 12,190
I've watched this twice since picking it up just before Black Friday and have to say...
It is no doubt my new favorite horror/comedy. Just hilarious all the way through, and actually was better the second time despite knowing what was coming.
__________________
"!"

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1999-2014 Horrordvds.com

No text or images from this site may be reprinted or used elsewhere without express consent from Horrordvds.com