Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > Laserdisc

Old 12-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
It's me, Billy
Maniac

My First LaserDisc: Black Christmas (1974)

Released near the end of LD's life in 1999 through Image Entertainment (on loan from Warner Bros.) and presented in 1.85:1 aspect ratio! Now all I need is a LaserDisc player! haha! I've been shopping around on ebay and will get me one eventually. I've heard that the Black Christmas LD is somewhat rare, that not many copies were produced. For those of you who've seen the LD, how's it look?

It's me, Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
Paff

Yes, it's a pretty rare disc, not many produced as the format was near the end. It also clears up a lot of the aspect ratio mystery, as this was clearly taken from a theatrical print (I believe you can see the "cigarette burn" reel change marks), so if you ever wanted to know how this looked in the theater, the LD is the answer.

Sadly though, this disc looks like ass. Most LDs look far better than this one. I should know, as I just spun it this past week. It's grainy as hell, and many of the darker scenes are just terrible. It makes a nice collector's item, but it sure isn't the best way to watch the movie.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
It's me, Billy
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Yes, it's a pretty rare disc, not many produced as the format was near the end. It also clears up a lot of the aspect ratio mystery, as this was clearly taken from a theatrical print (I believe you can see the "cigarette burn" reel change marks), so if you ever wanted to know how this looked in the theater, the LD is the answer.

Sadly though, this disc looks like ass. Most LDs look far better than this one. I should know, as I just spun it this past week. It's grainy as hell, and many of the darker scenes are just terrible. It makes a nice collector's item, but it sure isn't the best way to watch the movie.
I kind of expected that. I guess when you're used to watching Blu-ray Discs and DVDs (and to a lesser extent HD DVDs), popping in a LD is going to be a different world. I guess I'm interested for the novelty of the thing. When LaserDisc was around I could never afford it due to the high cost of players and discs. I was always fasinated with the format though, thought it was so cool. I remember looking through the J.C. Penney and Sears Christmas Catalogs around 1990-1994 and seeing the LD players and discs for sale. Seems like they were always near the back of the catalog.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
It's me, Billy
Maniac

My Black Christmas (1974) Collection:

Top Left: 2008 Canadian Anchor Bay DVD
Bottom Left: 1986/1994 US Warner Bros. VHS
Center: 1999 US Image Entertainment/Warner Bros. LaserDisc
Bottom Right: 2002 Canadian Critical Mass Collector's Edition DVD
Top Right: 2008 Canadian Anchor Bay Blu-ray Disc
Old 12-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
Ash28M
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's me, Billy View Post

My Black Christmas (1974) Collection:

Top Left: 2008 Canadian Anchor Bay DVD
Bottom Left: 1986/1994 US Warner Bros. VHS
Center: 1999 US Image Entertainment/Warner Bros. LaserDisc
Bottom Right: 2002 Canadian Critical Mass Collector's Edition DVD
Top Right: 2008 Canadian Anchor Bay Blu-ray Disc

I still say i'm a bigger fan

Actually I sold my VHS though and my 2006 Special Edition since the Blu-ray shares all of it's features.

so I'm down to

The 2000 25th Anniversary Edition DVD, the 2002 Collector's Edition and the Blu-Ray and I'll keep them all as they all have different features.

Last edited by Ash28M; 12-30-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
Paff

Quote:
I kind of expected that. I guess when you're used to watching Blu-ray Discs and DVDs (and to a lesser extent HD DVDs), popping in a LD is going to be a different world.
That's certainly true, but my point is that the Black Christmas LD doesn't look that good, even for LD. LD picture quality was always a roll of the dice, especially for older movies. Some looked fantastic, some were VHS quality. You never knew.

If you do ever buy a player to watch your Black Christmas disc, buy some other discs and you'll be impressed with the quality of some discs. Not enough to throw out your Blu-Ray player, of course, but it can be a great way to watch a movie. Try something like the Star Wars "faces" discs (which is still the only way to see the THEATRICAL versions of the films), the Roan Entertainment "Spaghetti Nightmares" series (Demons 1 and 2, Tenebre, and Phenomena), or anything from Elite Entertainment's horror series. Oh! And try to find the Japanese disc of Evil Dead. That still blows me away in quality.

Discs with extras worth finding:
Elite's special edition of Night of the Living Dead. It has a still photo gallery, many in full color, that I don't think has made to any DVD
Criterion's edition of Carrie. It has an audio commentary.

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 12-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
killit
Maniac

That ld is the only way I've seen black Christmas other than the remake in the theater which I thought was fucking amazing btw. Love this film, wish I had the ld still. Since everyone here is a bc superfan, what is the primo way to see this film these days?
killit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #8
Ash28M
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by killit View Post
That ld is the only way I've seen black Christmas other than the remake in the theater which I thought was fucking amazing btw. Love this film, wish I had the ld still. Since everyone here is a bc superfan, what is the primo way to see this film these days?
The Blu-ray is the best I've seen it look.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
It's me, Billy
Maniac

What I've found so far:

On the way (currently in shipment)

A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (Elite Letterboxed Edition)
Heathers (Letterboxed Special Edition)
The Odd Couple (1968) (2.35:1 Letterboxed)
Scream (Unrated, Letterboxed)
I Know What You Did Last Summer (Letterboxed)
Old 01-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #10
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Good times! I remember ordering Black Christmas LD and it being very hard to get soon after release.
I also remembering getting it from Digitaleyes (they were called something else at the time) and, even though the packaging was perfect, the actual LD cover was all dented up.
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #11
Paff

Those Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Nightmare on Elm Street are pretty loaded special editions, especially for laserdisc. For a long time, those were highly sought-after by horror fans, as the initial DVDs had nowhere near the special features. Even as LD was dying or dead, those discs would still fetch a good price on E-bay. I think all the special features have been ported over now though.

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 01-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #12
Paff

oh, and dumb question....you got anything to PLAY these discs on yet?

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 01-21-2013, 01:52 AM   #13
startide
Stalker

Quote:
On the way (currently in shipment)

A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (Elite Letterboxed Edition)
Heathers (Letterboxed Special Edition)
The Odd Couple (1968) (2.35:1 Letterboxed)
Scream (Unrated, Letterboxed)
I Know What You Did Last Summer (Letterboxed)
Billy, please post pics when they arrive. Am esp. interested in IKWYDLS. I'm always fascinated when a format is on the way out while another is on the rise and that year (with H20) is a perfect example.
startide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:00 AM   #14
ReelFear
Maniac

I've owned this LaserDisc as well, but sold it on Ebay years ago. I still have my VHS signed by John Saxon, my 2 DVD's signed by Margot Kidder and Keir Dullea, and the Blu too. One of the best movies ever and should be enjoyed in every format!
ReelFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:49 AM   #15
It's me, Billy
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
oh, and dumb question....you got anything to PLAY these discs on yet?
I have been bidding on ebay and just now won a LD player. The Pioneer CLD-1070. It was listed as being "in great shape and works well" and it comes with the remote and manual. I won it for $41.00 plus $15.00 shipping, $56.00 total.