Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 01-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #16
Mr.G
Victim

So if they are locked where would an American purchase either a multi region or strictly 'B' region blu ray player? Suggestions would be much appreciated!
Mr.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #17
Steel76
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
Nice! I hope Black Sabbath will FINALLY offer the English version of the film.

And it looks like it is!: http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/index.ph...=744&art_id=44

I love that version, and itīs the one that was released on VHS (in the early 80:s) over here in Sweden, which I used to watch about a billion times as a kid.

I was VERY disappointed when that awesome AIP soundtrack was not avalible on the DVDīs.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #18
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
So if they are locked where would an American purchase either a multi region or strictly 'B' region blu ray player? Suggestions would be much appreciated!
I personally have a Seiki BD660 as my region free player and it's both Blu-ray and DVD region free via a simple remote code which allows you to go into the factory settings menu and change both the DVD and Blu-ray region codes.

These are super cheap, around $80, and available at Walmart. Although I'm not sure if the US Walmarts stock them...

But if you have the cash to blow, the OPPO BDP-95 is considered the Holy Grail of region free players.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #19
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorallySound View Post
I personally have a Seiki BD660 as my region free player and it's both Blu-ray and DVD region free via a simple remote code which allows you to go into the factory settings menu and change both the DVD and Blu-ray region codes.

These are super cheap, around $80, and available at Walmart. Although I'm not sure if the US Walmarts stock them...
i noticed you recommend this model about 6 months ago, and decided to seek one out. unfortunately, i couldn't find any walmart that still carried them. i fear they may no longer stock this model. i was able to find a like-new player on kijiji for $60, and i've had absolutely no problems with it. its become our living room default dvd and blu ray player (set to region A most of the time, so my wife doesn't get confused ). so thanks for that recommendation, MS.

Mr. G, if you can find one, then go for it. but you might have to look a little harder to track one down...
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #20
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel76 View Post
I love that version, and itīs the one that was released on VHS (in the early 80:s) over here in Sweden, which I used to watch about a billion times as a kid.

I was VERY disappointed when that awesome AIP soundtrack was not avalible on the DVDīs.
i've never heard it, but as a Karloff fan, i've been wanting to ever since i bought the AB Bava boxes.

which is the Bava film where Christopher Lee is dubbed by a different actor? Whip and the Body, or Hercules in the Haunted World? its been so long since i've watched them, i can't remember. although i remember it being really offputting.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #21
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
i noticed you recommend this model about 6 months ago, and decided to seek one out. unfortunately, i couldn't find any walmart that still carried them. i fear they may no longer stock this model.
The Walmarts around here still stock them.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
Old 01-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #22
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Is Spider Baby going to be a blu-ray? I'll upgrade if it's region free. The movie is one of my favorites. Same goes for Motel Hell (which I believe they already announced a blu-ray).
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #23
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
Is Spider Baby going to be a blu-ray? I'll upgrade if it's region free.
All those announced titles are Blu-ray, or Blu-ray+DVD combos. But according to Arrow's spec sheet on their site for the Spider Baby release, it's Region B/2. But who actually knows until it's released.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #24
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel76 View Post

Agreed! I really dislike the Italian version of the film to be honest. Not only does Karloff sound weird being dubbed in Italian, but the stories are also rearranged...and the film just doesn't work nearly as well, IMO.

I also enjoy Les Baxter's English music score much more. I recently bought the Intrada CD of that...

Katatonia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #25
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorallySound View Post
The Walmarts around here still stock them.
thats interesting. maybe its a regional thing? or maybe i just picked a really bad time to look. walmart is notoriously bad at knowing what they have in stock. they never even seem to know what they have on the shelves.

in any case, its good that they're still available. like i said, i've been happy with mine.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #26
Steel76
Maniac

"Baron Blood" will also contain the AIP soundtrack by Les Baxter

http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/index.ph...=743&art_id=44

This is also the version I loved from the VHS days, and also was a huge letdown when the DVDīs only had the italian score.
Though wasnīt the AIP lacking a gore scene? I guess it will switch to the original Italian soundtrack during that moment and back to the awesome AIP track
Old 01-23-2013, 11:12 PM   #27
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Wasn't Arrow's BARON BLOOD originally announced to have Bava's FOUR TIMES THAT NIGHT included on it as an extra?
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:20 PM   #28
SpaceAce
Maniac

Was really pumped for Motel Hell (love the artwork too), but if it isn't playable in the US, I will pass. Will there be a region 1 blu of this? Seems like it would appeal to a much wider market if it was region 1 also. Seems kinda silly to limit it to certain regions (and I don't want to buy another player just to get a region free player.)
SpaceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:05 AM   #29
Mr.G
Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceAce View Post
Was really pumped for Motel Hell (love the artwork too), but if it isn't playable in the US, I will pass. Will there be a region 1 blu of this? Seems like it would appeal to a much wider market if it was region 1 also. Seems kinda silly to limit it to certain regions (and I don't want to buy another player just to get a region free player.)
I agree but according to their facebook page they are "contractually obliged to region code to Europe by MGM."

Sucks for us!
Mr.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:18 AM   #30
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce h View Post
Wasn't Arrow's BARON BLOOD originally announced to have Bava's FOUR TIMES THAT NIGHT included on it as an extra?
I believed so, and it's listed on DVDAf that way, but Arrow's site doesn't list it now. Hopefully, maybe, they ended up with some better material after all?

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote