Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 12-03-2011, 05:01 AM   #16
Erick H.
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaestheus View Post
I suspect that this is what the Mayan calendar may have been predicting.

It's an awful film but it's strangely hypnotic.I'm glad someone is taking care to preserve it, if for no other reason than to baffle future civilizations.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:10 PM   #17
Jeremy
Closet SCREAM fan

I think I must have been eleven or twelve when I saw the MST3K version for the first time. When I was thirteen I got it non-Mstied on VHS and proceeded to torment my friends and family with it. Especially my father! He will be so thrilled when I tell him about this new restoration
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #18
Jeremy
Closet SCREAM fan

An update for everyone; I saw the premiere of the full restored version of MANOS, THE HANDS OF FATE on December 4th at the Hollywood Reel Independent Film Festival. Turnout was kind of sparse, but that's par for the course when you're screening a film at 9:30 PM on a Tuesday. Restorer Ben Solovey was in attendance, as was Jackie Neyman Smith (who played Debbie and is the daughter of Tom Neyman) and the son of the actor who played the lead sheriff's deputy (I didn't catch his name I'm afraid). The restored version was projected off of a Blu-Ray at 1080p resolution in it's original 1.33:1 aspect ratio.

First and foremost, for anyone who is used to watching the home video versions of MANOS, all of which seem to have been taken from the same crummy video master that makes the film look like it's being projected through a burlap sack, the new transfer restores a shocking level of color to most of the movie. This was shot on Kodak Ektachrome film stock, which produces some startling and bold colors when exposed properly, "when" being the keyword there. A lot of MANOS wasn't exposed properly and still looks murky and overly dark. When possible, the new transfer also restores an impressive level of detail to many parts, although so much of the production was shot out of focus that the benefits of 1080p resolution aren't always apparent. Basically when it looks nice it's really nice, but there aren't a whole lot of opportunities for it to look great. The new transfer reveals more picture information on all four sides of the frame, which is nice but not really essential. I have seen restorations of certain films where they have gone back to original elements that revealed picture information that was previously missing, picture information that has restored a sense of balance to formerly skewed compositions. But MANOS is not one of those films. The compositions looked skewed in the previous home video versions, and they still look skewed with the missing picture information restored.

Solovey has spruced up the film to a great extent, although, if you're planning on picking up the Blu-Ray or DVD versions of this that are coming out, don't expect it to look pristine, unless he decides to more clean-up work in the interim. A huge number of specks, scratches and other debris have been cleaned off the film surface and it looks great for the most part. The main remaining defect in the restoration is the large number of vertical lines that plague certain shots and scenes, particularly in the early parts of the movie. It doesn't look like he's touched the grain structure at all and the transfer definitely has the texture of 16mm. The audio has also been cleaned up and sounds appreciably better compared to the old home video versions.

Jackie Neyman Smith told a number of humorous anecdotes about the production and her memories of it, which I won't repeat here since the Q&A session was recorded and will presumably show up on the upcoming disc release. But it was an illuminating experience and I enjoyed it very much. Her father Tom (The Master) is now long retired and living in Oregon. She recounted how the film disappeared for many, many years, and nobody who was involved in it could find a copy. Then one day in 1993 her father fell asleep in his living room with the TV on, and woke up to the strains of this very familiar music that he hadn't heard in years - which was of course the soundtrack to the film, now being played on MST3K. The son of the sheriff's deputy actor also recounted how he had looked for the movie for years and years before also happening to turn on the TV and see the MST3K episode and see his father get out of a cop car! Anyways, apparently Tom Neyman is rather indifferent to the movie at this point in his life. He's not embarrassed by it but also doesn't understand why it appeals to so many people. At the urging of his daughter he has, however, agreed to do an on-camera interview and to sit down with her and Solovey for a commentary track. The Blu-Ray and DVD releases, which have been pushed back several times now, are now tentatively scheduled to be out sometime early next year.

Although I have watched MANOS dozens and dozens of times in my life, this was actually the first time that I had seen it all the way through since about 2002. I still love it, and although I have always known it was a bad movie, I think my production and editing background as an adult has given me a greater appreciation of what went wrong and why. I was particularly shocked to realize just how badly the editing on this thing actually is. I mean good lord, talk about not knowing when to begin or end a shot!
Old 12-14-2012, 06:14 PM   #19
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Thanks for the report, Jeremy! I would have loved to have been there.

Any updates on its blu ray release?
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:06 AM   #20
Jeremy
Closet SCREAM fan

Not too many updates on the upcoming disc, although I did have to duck out of the Q&A a few minutes early and might have missed something. I wanted to ask him whether he planned to release it on pressed discs or as a BD-R and whether he was going to do any more clean-up work on the transfer, but unfortunately this was the time of night when the LA Metro only runs most of its buses once an hour and I had only a few minutes to catch the one that I needed. But it's tentatively scheduled to be out in a few months, and Solovey admitted that the whole endeavor had turned into a much bigger process than he had anticipated, hence the delays (when he first did the Kickstarter campaign he had anticipated that the restoration would be done by summer and the discs would be ready around August). But he raised a lot more money than expected and it was allowing him to create a number of supplements, the commentary with the Neymans being just one of the extras in the works.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:43 AM   #21
X-human
I ate my keys

Awesome. I bought each of the shirts and a pin to help contribute. I'm not too sure I want a lot of restoration work done to it. Some of the wobble and stuff like that they should be fix but many of the scratches and such is all part of the fun to me. Why put lipstick on a pig you know? I'm just afraid they're "restore" it too much and we'll get a DNR/EE Sharpened mess.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:31 AM   #22
X-human
I ate my keys

The real Debbie is selling a Manos shirt designed by the real Master.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230917303870

I'll pick up a couple, sounds more reasonable then the deal they were working through the Restoration.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #23
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
How much would it cost to get Don May Jr. on this baby?
From Facebook:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manos: The Restoration
The Master Would Approve! We are pleased to announce that a licensing agreement has been signed with Synapse Films to distribute a Special Edition of Manos: The Hands of Fate on DVD, Blu-Ray, and VOD. More info soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manos: The Restoration
Time for some more news! The Kickstarter backers who donated $50 or above, the DVD or Blu-ray (depending on what you selected) you get will be the Synapse Films edition!
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #24
maybrick
HackMaster

Awesome. Totally awesome.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:17 AM   #25
X-human
I ate my keys

Old 01-31-2014, 05:46 PM   #26
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synapse Films
Just a quick response to those inquiring about the CHANGE.ORG petition for MANOS: THE HANDS OF FATE. Synapse Films will be releasing the title, but there seems to be some confusion... WE are not holding the release up. We cannot release the film until the extras/supplements have been turned in. As of right now, all we have is the commentary, which we have conformed to the picture. The other supplements are being done by Ben Solovey and Daniel Griffith. I do not know why the petition was started, but we are honored that there are so many people who want to see the film released. Unfortunately, getting it released is currently out of our hands as we are just waiting the delivery of all the extras. Once they are turned in... THEN we can start putting the project together in authoring/compression.
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...3&stream_ref=1
Old 01-31-2014, 06:18 PM   #27
f.ramses
Maniac

This is real frustrating... in a few days it will have been 2 years since the project was funded and many months since the estimated delivery date. At this point, they shouldn't be worrying about a bunch of pointless extras, just focus on getting the restored movie on pressed BDs and then send them to the backers ASAP! ffs...

Last edited by f.ramses; 01-31-2014 at 06:22 PM.
f.ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:46 PM   #28
f.ramses
Maniac

Where is the change.org petition? I wanted to read it to see what exactly they were petitioning for but can't seem to find it searching google or the change.org site...
Old 01-31-2014, 06:49 PM   #29
Jeremy
Closet SCREAM fan

Posted by Ben Solovey as a Kickstarter update on December 12th of last year:

Quote:
As we head into the holidays, I've been trying to get some solid word from Synapse Films as to when and how discs can be expected. Having received the necessary materials from me some time ago, they confirmed this week that they are delaying the mastering process until the new year.
I added the underline to the relevant portion.

So Synapse claims they only have the master (pardon the pun) and the commentary track but not anything else, while Solovey seems to claim they have everything they need. Who's telling the truth?
Old 01-31-2014, 07:38 PM   #30
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synapse Films
Quote:
Huh, strange. Ben's last kickstarter update said he sent you guys all the necessary materials from his end. Might want to double check with him and make sure something didn't get lost along the way.
I know he did, Chris and many Kickstarter folks were told this (and emailed me about it). I'm setting the record straight... Nothing but the video master and audio commentary have been turned in to Synapse. Ben has told us he's working with Daniel Griffith and his amazing company Ballyhoo Motion Pictures to get the remaining pieces done. Synapse is thrilled that Daniel is working on the extras with Ben, but Ben has not turned them in to us yet. Daniel is awesome, and a friend of Synapse, so maybe he has an update for us.
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...al_comments=15