Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > Euro Horror

Old 01-25-2013, 05:57 AM   #1
dave13
HackMaster

Various Giallos (some OOP) available on budget "Pop Flix" dvd sets

I assume a lot of you have seen these "Pop Flix" public domain collections showing up in stores? I picked up a cheap 10-film tin of early Roger Corman films including The Terror, Bucket of Blood, and Dementia 13 about a year ago. Well, some of their recent releases have been kind of great. None of them explicitly state it on the box, but they're all essentially 4-film collections of classic giallos.

Here they are:

Deadly Fiends Collection

Contains:
The Case of the Bloody Iris
Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I have the Key
(the NoShame release is obviously OOP - is there another R1 version?)
Death Laid an Egg (I can't find any reference to a R1 release for this anywhere)
The Dark is Death's Friend (aka The Killer Must Kill Again)

Killers on the Loose Collection

Contains:
The Red Queen Kills 7 Times (again, the NoShame release is OOP, and I don't know of another R1 release)
The Fifth Cord
Seven Notes in Black
(aka The Psychic)
Don't Torture a Duckling

Blood Red Nights Collection

Contains:
Deep Red
The Cat O'Nine Tails
Seven Blood Stained Orchids
Short Night of Glass Dolls

Although they're all missing whatever supplements the alternate R1 releases had (if any), these are still pretty sweet collections at $5 a pop. I grabbed the first two, since the only film I already had was The Killer Must Kill Again. The third one is probably the least interesting, since I would imagine anyone who's a fan of these films will probably already own the two Argento pictures.

The films all appear to be in the same presentation as their previous incarnations - that is to say, the same length and aspect ratio, each anamorphically enhanced. I can't comment on the A/V quality as it compares to previous releases, but from my brief sampling, the picture quality is fairly good. not fuzzy or faded, at least from what I saw.

Perhaps a lot of you have already seen these, and already decided whether or not to grab them, but I just wanted to make sure.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:03 AM   #2
dave13
HackMaster

oh, a quick search shows that these were already mentioned here

still, I missed the announcement, so others may have as well...*shrug*
Old 01-25-2013, 06:03 AM   #3
Dobby
HackMaster

From my experience their DVD's are nothing more then old 4 generation VHS rips. I have never once come across good quality DVD's released by Pop flix.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:51 AM   #4
Body Boy
HackMaster

How are most of these titles even legal!? Deep Red and Cat are PD, but the rest? I call shenanigans...
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:46 AM   #5
Erick H.
HackMaster

I haven'r seen these pop up.I wanna do a little research before I'd grab one but if they are legal (decent) copies they would be kinda fun to have,especially at that price.

Are these all compressed on a single disc,two flippers or something else ?

Last edited by Erick H.; 01-26-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:17 AM   #6
Dobby
HackMaster

Oh f.ramses owns these might be time to touch base with them!
Old 01-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
From my experience their DVD's are nothing more then old 4 generation VHS rips. I have never once come across good quality DVD's released by Pop flix.
Probably so. And these are all "unavailable" on Amazon.com now, so I'm sure some of these were not public domain titles.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick H. View Post
I haven'r seen these pop up.I wanna do a little research before I'd grab one but if they are legal (decent) copies they would be kinda fun to have,especially at that price.

Are these all compressed on a single disc,two flippers or something else ?
i did a brief sampling of The Fifth Cord, The Red Queen Kills 7 Times, Death Laid an Egg and The Dark is Death's Friend. All looked....quite good. Relatively clear images, decent color. I'm perfectly satisfied with them on that score. They're split up onto 2 single-sided discs (haven't checked if they're dual or single layer, yet), with 2 films per disc.

I noticed that they're not available through amazon anymore either, although 3rd party sellers still carry them. i got mine from HMV.

Last edited by dave13; 01-26-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
f.ramses
Maniac

I've had a quick look at most of the titles from all 3 sets and everything that I've looked at has looked OK and was anamorphic. For the money, these were a steal; quality is nothing spectacular but I was expecting worse. One thing to mention is that every title I've looked at has only included the English audio track. From what I can gather on AVManaics, not many of these actually made it out and the sets have been pulled from the Pop Flix lineup so if you want these and see them around, grab them.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #10
Crystal Plumage
Dig me..but don't bury me

They are all out on YouTube, courtesy of PizzaFlix. Coincidence? I read they're the same people. Beats shelling out cash for what appears to be subpar bootlegs anyway.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:56 PM   #11
Dobby
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage View Post
They are all out on YouTube, courtesy of PizzaFlix. Coincidence? I read they're the same people. Beats shelling out cash for what appears to be subpar bootlegs anyway.
Yeah most can be seen here via this link.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...VdgYRmmSzPaarJ
Old 01-27-2013, 12:08 AM   #12
dave13
HackMaster

i decided to pick up the 3rd one too, the Blood Red Nights set - the only one i'm missing from that was Seven Blood Stained Orchids, but for $5, why not? I think people are honestly underestimating the picture quality of these releases. I haven't watched too much yet, but everything I've seen has been good. not to the quality of an anchor bay or blue underground transfer, but easily as good as some that shriek show has put out...
Old 01-27-2013, 01:09 AM   #13
Dobby
HackMaster

One thing that always irks me about this company is floaters in their cases. Did any of you receive these with the discs loose inside.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:40 AM   #14
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
One thing that always irks me about this company is floaters in their cases. Did any of you receive these with the discs loose inside.
yes. all 3, in fact.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #15
Erick H.
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
i did a brief sampling of The Fifth Cord, The Red Queen Kills 7 Times, Death Laid an Egg and The Dark is Death's Friend. All looked....quite good. Relatively clear images, decent color. I'm perfectly satisfied with them on that score. They're split up onto 2 single-sided discs (haven't checked if they're dual or single layer, yet), with 2 films per disc.

I noticed that they're not available through amazon anymore either, although 3rd party sellers still carry them. i got mine from HMV.
Thanks for the info.I own singles of all the Argentos' and I have the GIALLO COLLECTION box set which has a few more but I could still see grabbing a couple of volumes for films I don't have,if I see them around that is.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote