Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 02-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #16
Drinkinstein
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
Is alliance still around or should I say in business?
They're doing more business now than ever before! They release a lot of stuff for other studios up here. Also they were just bought by eOne entertainment.
Drinkinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:29 AM   #17
Werewolf Vixen
Screamy Bopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
Seed is out in Canada and some Northern States (Meijers near me in MI has a couple copies) from Alliance, but it's the theater cut and no extras. I really just want Bride and maybe Seed unrated, dvd is fine for the rest of them as they aren't favorites. Bride is just comedic gold!

The unrated version of Seed is a ripoff and not worth seeking out if you have the theatrical R rated version. It's literally one brief shot, and a slightly altered ending that doesn't work(see movie-censorship.com for a comparison). But overall, the changes are not obvious since that's all their is, and the gore is completely uncut in the R version. So I'm happy with my "Killer Collection" set of the sequels on dvd that also features only the R version of Seed, which I didn't like in the first place. But still, the unrated version is a joke and I thought I'd give that friendly little reminder, since some people may assume the unrated version is 'better' and more graphic than the theatrical cut when it's not.

I have not seen the R version of the Black Christmas remake. But I'd be open to checking it out, since I don't think much gore was cut from the theatrical version. But I can't find the Canadian blu-ray available anywhere from my search.
Werewolf Vixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #18
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drinkinstein View Post
The 1080i Black X-mas CAN release was from TVA films, not alliance. But yeah, alliance has buggered quite a few potentially good releases. Every now and then they do outdo the US though... Evil Dead 2 comes to mind!
How is Evil Dead 2 better than the 25th Ann. in the US? That is near perfect. Or was their first disc just better than Anchor Bay's first output?

I read somewhere that Alliance will use the same transfers and features from US discs when US disc comes out first or the same time. If Alliance comes out first, you get bare-bone theater cuts and often times wrong ratios (many early 2.35 discs were cropped to 1.78, like Blade).

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #19
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
How is Evil Dead 2 better than the 25th Ann. in the US? That is near perfect. Or was their first disc just better than Anchor Bay's first output?

I read somewhere that Alliance will use the same transfers and features from US discs when US disc comes out first or the same time. If Alliance comes out first, you get bare-bone theater cuts and often times wrong ratios (many early 2.35 discs were cropped to 1.78, like Blade).
I'm pretty sure the Canadian Alliance release is a direct port of the US Lionsgate re-release with the exception of the slipcover the Canadian release apparently had.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
child's play blu-ray