Old 02-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #19
indiephantom
Horny Spirit

Good stuff.

indiephantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #20
MorallySound
There is no magic.

New review posted for Jess Franco's OASIS OF THE ZOMBIES. Will you be able to survive the horror hidden beneath these sand dunes or is it all just a mirage?

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #21
Paff

Is it just me, or does your Oasis of the Zombies review reveal the entire plot, including the ending?

Back in my reviewing days, I used to butt heads with Dave over this all the time. I wanted a synopsis to be just a brief set up, little more than a paragraph or two. After all, we want people to buy or rent the disc, no? Not tell them the whole damn movie. Of course, there's various schools of thought on that, and some people do want the whole thing revealed in a review...

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #22
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Is it just me, or does your Oasis of the Zombies review reveal the entire plot, including the ending?

Back in my reviewing days, I used to butt heads with Dave over this all the time. I wanted a synopsis to be just a brief set up, little more than a paragraph or two. After all, we want people to buy or rent the disc, no? Not tell them the whole damn movie. Of course, there's various schools of thought on that, and some people do want the whole thing revealed in a review...
I did spoil it in this review, but I decided to review the film as a whole on this one as it's pretty simply plotted. I'll be sticking to more spoiler-free stuff in the future. It was just a personal decision for this review.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado

Last edited by MorallySound; 02-15-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #23
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post

I was just about to read the review, but read this first. thanks for the warning. i'm of a similar opinion.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #24
MorallySound
There is no magic.

I've updated the review to contain a spoiler warning, and I'll re-edit a spoiler-free version. I had just based my layout from a couple of previous reviews on the site, all of which were fairly spoiler-heavy. I appreciate the feedback.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #25
Workshed
October!

The reviews on this site are top-notch, and I appreciate that I can come here, search for titles, and sit down and get lost in all these great writings. Thank you, team, for providing these for us free of charge. Writing in your free time can be a chore, and you guys do it out of the horror in your heart.

General gentle feedback: as a reader, I'd love to see more analysis and critical reviewing of the films and less plot summary. I'm not talking about MorallySound's latest (which I have not yet read--will do, pal!), but the discussion here reminded me that the reviews can sometimes be less of a critique and more of a summation of what happens in the movie. You are a bunch of smart guys, and I'd love to see you truly dissect a film, its themes, symbols, narrative structure, etc. Of course, not every film calls for this type of treatment. I enjoy watching a film and then coming here to read what someone else thought of it--maybe he or she saw something I missed, or perhaps the film was interpreted differently. I enjoy reading the reviews so much that I want to hear more from the writers and less from the film.

Just a note from a longtime reader. Regardless, keep up the GREAT work and thanks again!
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:17 PM   #26
MorallySound
There is no magic.

The OASIS review is now spoiler-free!

Old 02-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #27
mcchrist
A new breed of pervert!

Dude, MS!!! Great review, I've been curious as hell about Black Love for years, great write-up. Congrats, man!
mcchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #28
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcchrist View Post
Dude, MS!!! Great review, I've been curious as hell about Black Love for years, great write-up. Congrats, man!
Thanks Matt!

Old 02-23-2013, 10:59 PM   #29
streetlight
Victim

so are you taking any review requests? Personally I like obscure titles that aren't well known from the 70s and 80s, like the ones on Bleeding Skull
streetlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:25 AM   #30
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetlight View Post
so are you taking any review requests? Personally I like obscure titles that aren't well known from the 70s and 80s, like the ones on Bleeding Skull
I plan on bringing back some VHS reviews to this site, so yes the obscure will be getting covered. And I'm gladly open to review suggestions (PM me them) and if I am able to cover them I will.