Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 02-06-2013, 10:57 PM   #16
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
Not necessarily. Often times transfers receive a color/saturation boost and thus sometimes creating a totally different color scheme than what was intended by the film makers. It has been stated several times that Severin’s Santa Sangre transfer is more accurate to how it played and was viewed in theaters. The more saturated color scheme (bleeding colors, edge enhancement) was unauthorized and artificially created when it was released on DVD.

And I don’t know which Santa Sangre BD you own, but Severin’s transfer’s color scheme does “pop”….especially in the [u]reds[/i]. I love that disc. It’s one of my favorite BD’s and one of my favorite flicks. I know the Mr. Bongo release had richer black levels, but I heard it also had compression issues and didn’t have Severin’s exhaustive extras…. So, I am happy enough to stick with the Severin disc and just adjust a few settings on my television.

I don’t know what the case is with Bay of Blood, but I personally thought the transfer was great. But I am often a completest and I own all of Bava’s releases Kino did so far…so what the hell?
Especially when you can adjust black levels yourself on most TVs, I'd much rather have a "muted" image than anything that's boosted or crushed.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:38 PM   #17
russweiss
Maniac

Just recently ordered this from Amazon UK along with Tenebrae and Phenomena so unless it's considered a much better transfer I'll stick with Arrow.
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:39 PM   #18
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Not necessarily. Often times transfers receive a color/saturation boost and thus sometimes creating a totally different color scheme than what was intended by the film makers. It has been stated several times that Severin’s Santa Sangre transfer is more accurate to how it played and was viewed in theaters. The more saturated color scheme (bleeding colors, edge enhancement) was unauthorized and artificially created when it was released on DVD.

And I don’t know which Santa Sangre BD you own, but Severin’s transfer’s color scheme does “pop”….especially in the [u]reds[/i]. I love that disc. It’s one of my favorite BD’s and one of my favorite flicks. I know the Mr. Bongo release had richer black levels, but I heard it also had compression issues and didn’t have Severin’s exhaustive extras…. So, I am happy enough to stick with the Severin disc and just adjust a few settings on my television.
Sorry, didn't know it was stated several times. I will do an internet search the next time I decide to have an opinion to see if it's been discussed ad nauseum. I personally prefer the brighter and warmer colors (not necessarily the bleeding and edge enhancement) as I think it fits better in the circus world.

You can see in these shots how muted the colors look (especially screen shot #4) and if that's what the director wanted - great! But I prefer the bolder colors.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdrev...nta_sangre.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorallySound View Post
Especially when you can adjust black levels yourself on most TVs, I'd much rather have a "muted" image than anything that's boosted or crushed.
I didn't know we had to pick one over the other. Frankly, I'd like a release with an image that isn't boosted, crushed OR "muted". And for what it's worth, several sites had reported that Tim Lucas stated that the colors were off on the Arrow Bay of Blood release.

Last edited by deepred; 02-06-2013 at 11:50 PM.
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:17 AM   #19
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Quote:
And I don’t know which Santa Sangre BD you own, but Severin’s transfer’s color scheme does “pop”….especially in the reds.
Severin

Mr.Bongo

I know which one I like better...
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:26 AM   #20
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce h View Post
Severin

Mr.Bongo

If you even look at these two images, you can see that the white border and birds on the Santa Sangre sign looks more white (which I am sure was the color it was suppose to be) on the Mr. Bongo image where as the Severin looks more grey. Some sites have even mentioned a grey filter that seems to be over the film. To me, it looks like the Bongo image has the sun shining down whereas the Severin image almost looks like a cloud is passing by. I wonder how many drugs Jordowsky has done since this movie was in theatres? But I forgot that many fall for the pretense that director's have memories that do not falter like other human beings.

I personally can't remember the exact hue of colors for movies that I saw over 20 years ago but to those of you who can, more power to you.

Last edited by deepred; 02-07-2013 at 05:17 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:34 AM   #21
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepred View Post
Some sites have even mentioned a grey filter that seems to be over the film.
Link?

Quote:
I wonder how many drugs Jordowsky has done since this movie was in theatres? But I forgot that many fall for the pretense that director's have memories that do not falter like other human beings.

I personally can't remember the exact hue of colors for movies that I saw over 20 years ago but to those of you who can, more power to you.
Uh...You don't need to remember when you have the film's negative sitting in front of you.

Quote:
Sorry, didn't know it was stated several times. I will do an internet search the next time I decide to have an opinion to see if it's been discussed ad nauseum. I personally prefer the brighter and warmer colors (not necessarily the bleeding and edge enhancement) as I think it fits better in the circus world.
What’s with the sarcasm? I don’t need it nor do I think it is warranted. I was being sincere as it seemed like you didn’t know. Yes, it is CLOSER to how it was originally screened in theaters. Not every film is going to look like Avatar when it gets put onto BD. You may want bolder colors, but in Santa Sangre’s case, what you are getting on previous versions is all artificial. If you like that, fine, but you are in the minority as most want films preserved the way they were originally intended to look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce h View Post
Severin
Mr.Bongo

Yeah if you can handle the compression issues and lackluster features, by all means double dip.... I mentioned in my previous post Mr. Bongo's transfer is more balanced, but I am more than fine with tweaking a few settings on my television, which can be easily done with the Severin disc.

Last edited by Chomp; 02-07-2013 at 12:47 AM.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:47 AM   #22
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Link?

Uh...You don't need to remember when you have the film reals sitting in front of you.

Ummm, I've already posted one link that states the transfer is beautiful but the colors might be off. And to me the colors look off and I've already described why I feel that way.

Quote:

What’s with the sarcasm? I don’t need it nor do I think it is warranted. I was being sincere as it seemed like you didn’t know. Yes, it is CLOSER to how it was originally screened in theaters. Not every film is going to look like Avatar when it gets put onto BD. You may want bolder colors, but in Santa Sangre’s case, what you are getting on previous versions is all artificial. If you like that, fine, but you are in the minority as most want films preserved the way they were originally intended to look.
Your remarks that it had been addressed several times and that you didn't know what blu-ray I had came off to me as condescending, not sincere. If this is how he actually intended it to look, then great. I support that.

Quote:

Yeah if you can handle the compression issues, slight cropping, and lackluster features, by all means double dip.... I mentioned in my previous post Mr. Bongo's transfer is more balanced, but I am more than fine with tweaking a few settings on my television, which can be easily done with the Severin disc.
if you are adjusting your TV, then why can't you just say yeah the colors are a little off? That was the only thing I said about the release so I don't know why people are arguing with me about which has better cropping, compression or features.

Last edited by deepred; 02-07-2013 at 05:20 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:57 AM   #23
Chomp

Quote:
Ummm, I've already posted one link that states the transfer is beautiful but the colors might be off. And to me the colors look off and I've already described why I feel that way.
I want a link that states the presence of a "grey filter".

Quote:
I said that the blu-ray looked better all the way around but I just thought the colors were off - why would I want to buy a crappy quality dvd? And if you are adjusting your TV, then why can't you just say yeah the colors are a little off? That was the only thing I said about the release so I don't know why people are arguing with me about which has better cropping, compression or features.
I’m not quite sure exactly what you’re babbling about here, but my last comment about compression, special features, etc. was directed towards bruce_h as evident by quoting specifically his post.

Last edited by Chomp; 02-07-2013 at 01:30 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:59 AM   #24
deepred
Maniac

Here are some reviews for you, Chomp

This one was very positive BUT

Quote:
Contrast is heavily restrained and often dull, giving the picture a rather flat and somewhat boring appearance. The color palette also lacks some pop and vibrancy, yet reds and greens are brightly rendered and energetic. Black levels tend to suffer a bit as well and can fall a tad on the grayer side, but they generally appear accurate and fairly deep in nighttime scenes without taking away minor details in the shadows.
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4085/santasangre.html

Another great review BUT

Quote:
The 1080P is more muted, but, presumably, closer to the theatrical appearance - it is sharper, has less artifacts, seems slightly cropped on the bottom but show more information on the right edge. It can tend to look quite pale at times.
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdreviews25/santa_sangre.htmL

How many links do you want?
Old 02-07-2013, 01:05 AM   #25
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
I want a link that states the presence of a "grey filter".

I can't find any of them now and I don't feel the need to. I stated my opinion and why I felt that way. If you don't agree, cool.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:13 AM   #26
Chomp

LoL…very good little Jimmy, run along and go play now. The adults would like to talk now.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:16 AM   #27
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
LoL…very good little Jimmy, run along and go play now. The adults would like to talk now.
I take back every bit of energy I gave you.

That's my attempt at a joke.

Anyway, I don't want to argue with you, Chomp. Sorry if I came back overly sarcastic.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:36 AM   #28
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

I never bothered with the Arrow release, so I'll definitely pick this one up. Hopefully the transfer will be improved upon.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #29
Horrorphilly
Maniac

F all this bologna I'm gonna stick with my Simitar dvd.I think the movie looks great in the Bava set.Its always been a favorite movie of mine but the ending is a tab bit weird.

Sean
Horrorphilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:35 PM   #30
Vincent Pina
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrorphilly View Post
F all this bologna I'm gonna stick with my Simitar dvd.

Sean
Ha! You have inspired me to create a meme.

Vincent Pina is offline   Reply With Quote