Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 12-12-2001, 03:57 AM   #31
meshuga

I enjoyed The Blair Witch Project immensely. I loved the fact that it forced you to rely on your <i>immagination</i> to scare you. I, for one, have a wild immagination so this really worked. I think most people are really lazy and need to be shown what they need to be afraid of. I think that is why a lot of people didn't like this film. They needed to be shown that the guy in the rubber mask is the <i>thing</i> you are supposed to be afraid, rather than entice you with legends, myths, and stories. This really works because it uses the latter elements (or sets up the premise) and then later delves into these elements. While I know it is not a completely original film (for instance, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre stated that it was based on real events, which in fact it wasn't. Rather it was loosely created around Ed Gein), it told it's story in a rather original way. Of course, this is my opinion and most wont agree with me, but that's okay because this is how I feel about the film and no one will change that light for me.

Old 12-12-2001, 04:01 AM   #32
meshuga

Quote:
It's a Scooby Doo episode
No, The Blair Witch Project is not. However, <b>The Scream Trilogy</b> is a Scooby Doo episode/s. Think about it, the searching for the "villian." The unmasking of the villian at the end. They might as well have said, "Zoiks! It's Mr. Barber the school janitor whose been killing us off one by one!" and his reply: "And I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for you meddling kids."

BWP? no.
The Scream Trilogy? all the way.
Old 12-12-2001, 04:28 AM   #33
DefJeff
Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

Quote:
Originally posted by MISSIONCODEZ
Somebody found What Lies Beneath "scarey", or scary for that matter?
hey i found that movie scary and im a hardcore horror fan -- something about ghosts scares the hell outta me
DefJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 01:39 PM   #34
slinker
Un-Holy Force.

on the subject of ghost movies `What Lies Beneath` doesnt hold a candle to this years `The Others` that was a fantastic cinema experience, and a creepy and thought provoking one at that!
I found WLB predictable to even new extremes and YES the BWP is a remarkable acheivement and a rewarding experience to the open minded movie viewer. i repeat

Last edited by slinker; 12-12-2001 at 01:42 PM.
slinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 06:56 AM   #35
Agent Z
"Get to the river...

Slinker is building up points left and right!
Old 01-04-2002, 07:08 AM   #36
aoiookami
Demon Fetishist

I personally really liked the movie. I found it very creepy, and original. Something different from the usuall slasher/gore flicks being put out. There was a feeling of dread throughout the whole thing, rather than just random 'jump scenes' like a cat jumping out, or 'oh its my friend grabbing my shoulder rather than the killer' and the ending was really creepy to me. Of course I could do without the jerky camera that made me motion sick : P
take care
Old 01-04-2002, 03:54 PM   #37
ParmagentoCheez

BWP was a fucking bad ass movie. the sequel was made for the cinematically challenged folks who couldn't grasp the tone & intent of the original. you know who you are....

if you dig BWP then also check out "the last broadcast & kolobos"
Old 01-04-2002, 06:21 PM   #38
Cujo108

Thumbs up

I actually liked the jerky camera movements, because that made the film seem much more realistic. I also don't get motion sickness. I've said it once, and I'll say it again: Blair Witch Project is a modern horror masterpiece!
Old 02-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #39
deepred
Maniac

I find it funny how quickly some fans dismiss this movie as a relic of 1999 when the internet just began or put most of the emphasis on why it worked so well was the clever marketing attached to it but I think there's more to it than that.

I rented it when it first came out but by that time it was a known hoax and my friend at the time kept dissing the movie all the way through so it was hard to enjoy. I went back and watched it this weekend and thought it was very well-done but can't help but think that maybe the "clever" marketing hurt it in the long run since people dismissed it when it was announced as not true and hung all of it's strengths on the marketing.

I think it holds up and is really clever as a film (kinda like a found film version of Picnic at Hanging Rock), regardless of the marketing. I saw a panel for it this weekend before a panel for the original Texas Chain Saw Massacre and couldn't help but think how much these two movies have in common. Both movies were very low budget, had uncomfortable working conditions that impacted the actors's performances, were highly influential, had the documentary feel and claimed to be based on a true story, both stories start by a group of youths checking out a situation (TCM - grave robbings, BWP - legends) and both used the power of suggestion to make the viewer use their imagination. I never thought about all the similarities between the two.

Last edited by deepred; 02-08-2013 at 05:59 PM.
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #40
Ash28M
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepred View Post
I find it funny how quickly some fans dismiss this movie as a relic of 1999 when the internet just began or put most of the emphasis on why it worked so well was the clever marketing attached to it but I think there's more to it than that.

I rented it when it first came out but by that time it was a known hoax and my friend at the time kept dissing the movie all the way through so it was hard to enjoy. I went back and watched it this weekend and thought it was very well-done but can't help but think that maybe the "clever" marketing hurt it in the long run since people dismissed it when it was announced as not true and hung all of it's strengths on the marketing.

I think it holds up and is really clever as a film (kinda like a found film version of Picnic at Hanging Rock), regardless of the marketing. I saw a panel for it this weekend before a panel for the original Texas Chain Saw Massacre and couldn't help but think how much these two movies have in common. Both movies were very low budget, had uncomfortable working conditions that impacted the actors's performances, were highly influential, had the documentary feel and claimed to be based on a true story, dealt w/ youths investigating a case and then stumble across something worse then they ever would have imagined and both used the power of suggestion to make the viewer use their imagination. I never thought about all the similarities between the two.
I think as time has gone on more and more people are seeing it for what really is. A classic and one of the best horror films of all time.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:51 AM   #41
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

Holy thread resurrection Batman! LOL

When BWP first came out, I didn't follow the hype and really didn't know what it was about. I never thought it was real (why would they show real footage in movie theaters?) as I watched it, but I absolutely loved the movie. The key is to place yourself in the shoes of the characters and how you'd feel if you were out in those woods, lost. I've been lost in the woods before. That is truly a scary experience once daylight disappears.
rxfiend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:10 AM   #42
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxfiend View Post
The key is to place yourself in the shoes of the characters and how you'd feel if you were out in those woods, lost. I've been lost in the woods before. That is truly a scary experience once daylight disappears.
Exactly. I watched it with headphones on too which made it even better. I could clearly hear all those little kids laughing when the tent starts shaking - creepy!
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:36 AM   #43
dave13
HackMaster

i've always like the film, although i've only watched it a few times. my reaction to it the first time was completely visceral. i completely suspended my disbelief, and it scared the shit out of me. i feel that watching it several times would probably kill that. i haven't owned it since it came out on VHS. haven't watched it in 10 years, probably. i have great memories of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxfiend View Post
I never thought it was real (why would they show real footage in movie theaters?)
was this ACTUALLY a thing? I mean, really? has anyone ever met anyone who honestly thought it was real? i find that hard to believe. ah, yes...the old "let's release this snuff film footage theatrically" routine. happens all the time.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:21 AM   #44
Anaestheus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
was this ACTUALLY a thing? I mean, really? has anyone ever met anyone who honestly thought it was real? i find that hard to believe. ah, yes...the old "let's release this snuff film footage theatrically" routine. happens all the time.
Yeah, it actually was. I did know one person who really believed it. She had seen "The Curse of the Blair Witch" on Discovery or History Channel before the film was released and totally bought into it.

I can also say that the audience reaction on opening weekend here in Chicago had a decent number of dupes, just from listening to people's comments walking out of the theater.

I doubt anyone held on to that belief for long, but in those first few days, there were a large number of people who fell for it.
Anaestheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #45
SaviniFan
I Have A Fetish

I've always enjoyed TBWP. Although I don't consider it a classic as some have, there is no denying the impact it had on the horror genre. I do think it has one of the best and most disturbing endings I've ever seen. If I had to pick one thing I disliked about it, it would be what I consider an over use of the word "fuck" by the cast. I found that the liberal use of it in the dialogue just made me dislike and be kind of annoyed by the characters, which in turn didn't help in making me feel frightened for them. It just feels like cheap writing and if I personally knew anyone who consistently talked like that, I'd avoid them most of the time.

PS3 Gamer Tag: SaviniFan Steam Gamer Tag: ToastyBuffoon

My DVD Profiler
SaviniFan is offline   Reply With Quote