Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 02-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Wizard Video Collection

http://www.wizardvideocollection.com

Quote:
Lost in a warehouse for 33 years! The amazing big box Wizard Video Collection!

An early pioneer in the home video business, Charles Band started both MEDA HOME ENTERTAINMENT in the late 70’s and WIZARD VIDEO in 1980.

After releasing features like THE GROOVE TUBE, FLESH GORDON and TUNNELVISION in the standard VHS box format WIZARD VIDEO introduced the oversized “big VHS box” which featured lurid titles such as ZOMBIE, I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE, DEMONIAC & BREEDERS! After a few short years of these big VHS box releases WIZARD VIDEO returned to the standard size VHS box as retailers were quickly running out of shelf space. A fond memory for people who grew up in the video store era of the early 80’s - the big VHS box has become a rare collectable due to its scarcity and (usually poor) condition. And now a treasure trove of original big VHS boxes was found late last year in one of Charles Band’s and Full Moon’s many overcrowded warehouses! 36 features are represented in this discovery with quantities ranging from 180 boxes to 420 boxes. The 30+ year old big VHS boxes are in mint condition as they have never been out of their original shipping boxes!

This unique sale!

Beginning February 12th and for every month thereafter four of these 36 Wizard Video big box VHS cassettes will go on sale. They will contain the original program newly duplicated on VHS in a black clam shell which will be in the original box. Each original box will be numbered based on quantities found (IE x180 original boxes were found of RETURN OF THE ZOMBIES so therefore the numbers will start at 01/180, then 02/180 and all the way thru 180/180) and each box will be signed by Charles Band.

This is truly a rare discovery and little part of the early days of the home video explosion!
Every month beginning February 12, 4 titles will be on sale at $50/title.

Rollout schedule:

FEBRUARY 12
RETURN OF THE ZOMBIES
TRAUMA
OASIS OF THE ZOMBIES
DEMONIAC

MARCH 12
A VIRGIN AMONG THE LIVING DEAD
FEAR
BREEDERS
HEADLESS EYES

APRIL
I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE
BLOOD CASTLE
MANDINGA
TORMENTOR

MAY
ZOMBIE
MONSTER HUNTER
SPACE VAMPIRES
THE SCREAMING DEAD

JUNE
SS EXPERIMENT
DREAMANIAC
SAVAGE ISLAND
EROTIKILL

JULY
ZOMBIE LAKE
SPACE ZOMBIES
ZOMBIETHON
BEST OF SEX & VIOLENCE

AUG
FILMGORE
HELLTRAIN
POSSESSOR
FAMOUS T&A

SEPT
THE INVISIBLE DEAD
BEAST
THE MISS NUDE AMERICA CONTEST
FIEND

OCT
FRAULEIN DEVIL
WHITE SLAVE
ESCAPE
PARASITE

As much as I'd love to get all the Jess Franco titles and Zombie, Breeders, and I Spit on Your Grave, these would kill my bank account with the shipping costs added on...

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
eric_angelus
Testacular

This is kind of cool. But I am slightly skeptical that maybe these boxes are not newly printed instead of newly discovered. Seems odd that they would just have boxes and not the tapes to go with them. I know that in the early 90s a mom and pop that I went to a lot in my home town one day got in a ton of bargain priced big box wizard titles in mint condition, so it seems like Band had a clearing house with cassettes back in the day. I remember picking up Headless Eyes, Virgin Among the Living Dead, and Fear.
But I guess anything is possible...and even if they are technically reprints it would probably be impossible to tell.
eric_angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

How much do we think these things will be?
Old 02-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated Prey View Post
How much do we think these things will be?
The price is posted online and in the description in the post. $50 a pop plus shipping... So $1800 for all 36...

Pretty damn expensive for original boxes with newly duped tapes...

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
Old 02-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #5
maybrick
HackMaster

I was interested until I got to the part where they decided to fuck with the original packaging by numbering them. This is barely more authentic than new Star Wars figures sold in original packaging.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
WesReviews
HackMaster

Why would they be stored without the tapes inside? Kinda fishy.

Oh, The Horror! Reviews - Horror movie reviews... all decades, all sub-genres.
ACTION ALLIANCE - Action film talk with action film fans.

"Life differs from the play only in this... it has no plot, all is vague, desultory, unconnected till the curtain drops with the mystery unsolved." - Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
WesReviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesReviews View Post
Easy, because when you order sleeves you're likely ordering more than the demand because of price points. You're only going to dub as many tapes that supply requires, but will likely end up with more printed covers. These were probably boxes of the excess sleeves, unopened and stored away.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #8
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Damn…quite tempting actually. I think the $50 is a little steep, since all you are really paying for is the box. Weren’t some of those title’s released under Wizard’s sister company Force Video? I assume you are getting the Force Video big box then?... correct?

I own a few Wizard big boxes already, but I might pick up a Zombie, Best of Sex & Violence, and White Slave….no way in hell all 36.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #9
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorallySound View Post
The price is posted online and in the description in the post. $50 a pop plus shipping... So $1800 for all 36...

Pretty damn expensive for original boxes with newly duped tapes...
Pffft, not happening......NEXT!
Old 02-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #10
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesReviews View Post
"FOUND THE LAST BOX OF PUPPET MASTER BOX SETS IN A CORNER OF THE WAREHOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

For $50 each + shipping, they can keep 'em. I'd rather just seek out the originals.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #11
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
Only thought in my mind is if I order one will they ship it in a bubble mailer??
It really wouldn't surprise me.

It looks like shipping within the US is $10.25 for one video, so surely they'd pack it in a box.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:21 PM   #12
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
It really wouldn't surprise me.

It looks like shipping within the US is $10.25 for one video, so surely they'd pack it in a box.
Yeah, I poped two in a cart to find out how much shipping was to Canada and the cheapest option was just $28...

Old 02-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #13
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

So around $60 each for a cool cover I find a nice scan of on the internet for free, and a newly dubbed VHS I can't even play anymore of a film I probably have on blu-ray.
One word keeps circling my head, WHY?

I get there are collectors out there and hope this is good news to them, but it smells fishy and doesn't have a great track record behind it.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #14
maybrick
HackMaster

The thing is, there are plenty of us who bought original but used rental copies of wizard videos with severely damaged covers either by wear and tear or by outright butchery from the video store themselves, cutting them down to fit inside smaller boxes. There is already a market to sell mint original covers out there, so I think that it's almost criminal to ruin original cases with a collectors edition numbering system and an autograph.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #15
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
I think that it's almost criminal to ruin original cases with a collectors edition numbering system and an autograph.
I agree but it's very small and on the spine. I couldn't help myself and ordered RETURN OF THE ZOMBIES.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote