Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 02-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #16
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
The thing is, there are plenty of us who bought original but used rental copies of wizard videos with severely damaged covers either by wear and tear or by outright butchery from the video store themselves, cutting them down to fit inside smaller boxes. There is already a market to sell mint original covers out there, so I think that it's almost criminal to ruin original cases with a collectors edition numbering system and an autograph.
A cardboard box is worth $50 to you?

Yeah…the more I think about it, the more this just seems absolutely ridiculous. Ebay bidding is one thing, but there is no reason that a well-established movie releasing company, like Full Moon, should be selling a cardboard box and a dubbed tape (an antiquated format) for $50 a pop + shipping. Especially when they just "found" these big boxes in a warehouse". There is essentially minimal cost to produce these. This seems like a complete cash grab aimed at exploiting the current VHS trend.

Pass.

Subtract $25 from the overall price and I may be interested again.

Last edited by Chomp; 02-07-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #17
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
Are you going to buy any for yourself?
Not at $50, nope. $20 + shipping maybe. I'd rather get originals with damaged boxes off ebay.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #18
Chomp

Yeah...that's the thing too...most of the common Wizard titles can sell for easily under $50 (all the titles I have, I obtained spending less than $50 per tape)...depends on what kind of day it is. But titles like Filmgore, Zombiethon, Zombie, and any old white label Wizard titles I've seen hit the $200 mark. Zombie big box is almost always a $100+ tape on Ebay.

I saw a completely mangled Zombie big box go for $100+. The top was completely off, taped on both sides, looked like somebody took sandpaper to the thing...it still went for over 100 bucks...crazy.

Last edited by Chomp; 02-07-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #19
Chomp

I ain't buying any.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #20
Dobby
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
I ain't buying any.
LOL!!! ....sure.....sure.....
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:43 PM   #21
old-boo-radley
They stay the same age...

I can definitely see why people would pay more for VHS big boxes in great condition, but I think well worn/sun faded copies add to the charm of collecting the tapes. Not that I collect them, but when I think of the era, I recall moderately beaten up covers and worn tapes. That brings back memories for me. I don't care how people spend their dough, but buying VHS when titles are on DVD cheaper and great art scans are available online is absurd to me.

I never got into the rarity and collector bullshit in movies or video games, though. I guess it gets some people off that a handful of others would be jealous of their Zombie Wizard VHS that gives them no pleasure their DVD couldn't surpass. Different strokes for different folks, but we all know most people bidding huge bucks on Ebay for dumb shit they have really no personal ties to is just some goof showing off how big his nerd cock is compared to others'.

I will freely admit I buy way more than my share of dumb shit, too. Pot's just callin' the kettle black. In my case, the stuff I have isn't bought for rarity but for either quality, my interest in the subject matter, or uniqueness. I just don't see anything gratifying about blowing $1800 to look at boxes in person I can see images of for free online. Let's be honest, unfortunately no one is paying those bucks for the films themselves. And if that's the case, what's the point in owning the box art?
Old 02-07-2013, 10:59 PM   #22
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
Yeah...that's the thing too...most of the common Wizard titles can sell for easily under $50 (all the titles I have, I obtained spending less than $50 per tape)...depends on what kind of day it is. But titles like Filmgore, Zombiethon, Zombie, and any old white label Wizard titles I've seen hit the $200 mark. Zombie big box is almost always a $100+ tape on Ebay.

I saw a completely mangled Zombie big box go for $100+. The top was completely off, taped on both sides, looked like somebody took sandpaper to the thing...it still went for over 100 bucks...crazy.
I got a big box copy of Zombie at a flea market about 3 years ago. The box itself was in good to very good condition and the tape itself was almost like it had never been played before. Damage to my wallet? One whole buck!

I certainly wouldn't pay $50 for just a cover, but who knows? If I had a cut up rental box but a mint video tape the cost just might be worth it if it meant the difference between fetching $100 and $200 on ebay. But just the existence of these new editions is going to devalue the collectors market on them anyways.

Last edited by maybrick; 02-07-2013 at 11:01 PM.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:01 PM   #23
Chomp

Yeah, it is tempting, I will admit that...one stop shopping for any Wizard title you want. Its convenience alone is almost worth half of that price tag. I can see why some people would bite. But I meyslef cannot justify it.

We can only hope this "finding" takes some of those "impatient" VHS collectors off of Ebay and drives those egregious dollar amounts of some of those ending bids straight to the ground.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:53 PM   #24
Chomp

Sorry Dobbs, I'm a grower not a shower.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:33 AM   #25
X-human
I ate my keys

They found this in their warehouse... the same day the shipment of newly printed up VHS cases arrived. It's possible they still had a pallet sitting around of unused boxes for 20 years but very doubtful; especially when they keep finding these things over and over during the next ten or so years.

I love these guys but they do stretch the truth here and there. It's almost like people let it slide because we all know it's BS. That said I'll probably buy Zombie and Filmgore. I got suckered into their gift cards so I gotta buy something. Fortunately they gave such good deals with these gift cards I'm probably paying more like $12.50 for these tapes then $50.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:12 AM   #26
Chomp

Oh yeah...I wonder if these will be eligable during Full Moon's various website sales? The Valentine's Day sale is usually half off + free shipping right?
Old 02-08-2013, 06:16 AM   #27
MorallySound
There is no magic.

I wonder how many of these they actually still have the rights for... I bet a few of these they are putting out they don't even have them. I SPIT I know specifically they don't...

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
Old 02-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #28
mcchrist
A new breed of pervert!

Actually, a couple of these I have the original VHS without the box, so, you know what? I'm down.
mcchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #29
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorallySound View Post
I wonder how many of these they actually still have the rights for... I bet a few of these they are putting out they don't even have them. I SPIT I know specifically they don't...
We've learned from Shout Factory that sometimes rights are by format. Its possible they have VHS rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcchrist View Post
Actually, a couple of these I have the original VHS without the box, so, you know what? I'm down.
I do feel a bit like a tool for getting suckered into this, but its nice I'm not totally alone.

Last edited by crikan; 02-08-2013 at 03:10 PM.
crikan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #30
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
How many of these are you buying confess!!
None. Do I need to tell you a third time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikan View Post
We've learned from Shout Factory that sometimes rights are by format. Its possible they have VHS rights.
My friend has been in contact with Meir Zarchi for a few years, having set up numerous theatrical screenings for the I Spit on Your Grave here in Canada. This is an email exchange he sent me after emailing Meir about the Wizard Video Collection news:

Last edited by MorallySound; 02-08-2013 at 03:58 PM.