Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 02-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #1
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

THE BURNING (1981) and THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN (1976) from Shout Factory 5/21

Preorders are now up for Scream Factory's May lineup. Both are DVD / blu combo packs:

THE BURNING (1981):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ag=cinema09-20

THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN (1976):

Expanded posts coming later!
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #2
Kim Bruun
HackMaster

Instant pre-order on both!
Kim Bruun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Me too, along with CRIMEWAVE. It's disgusting how much Shout Factory stuff I have preordered!
Old 02-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #4
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

It's a Summer camp slaughterthon from Scream Factory this Spring, as Tony Maylam's THE BURNING (1981) gets blu-ified. Camp Stonewater has it all: totally irresponsible counselors, the date-rapiest kids on the East Coast, and their very own garden shear-wielding maniac! Horribly disfigured by a prank gone wrong, jerky groundsman Cropsy turns a Summer vacation canoe trip into a teenage wasteland, as Stonewater's populous gets stabbed, slashed, chopped and impaled in a variety of Tom Savini-orchestrated kill scenes. Featuring great location shooting, comedic asides from a pre-Seinfeld Jason Alexander (with hair!), and a haunting synth score from prog-rock genius Rick Wakeman, THE BURNING may not be the greatest of all '80s slashers, but really, does it need to be? It has what counts, and that's enough for me. Shout's disc promises to port the supplements from the OOP MGM disc along with some new content.

Blu / DVD Combo Preorder:

Trailer:
http://youtu.be/kH3Fy2qFSSY

Old 02-10-2013, 02:00 AM   #5
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

These ain't loobacated rubbahs. I asked for loobacated rubbahs.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #6
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
These ain't loobacated rubbahs. I asked for loobacated rubbahs.
I actually had THE BURNING on in the background yesterday as I was writing it up, and my girlfriend ended up quoting that line for the rest of the night. (Along with "What didja come out here for then? Get the fuck outta my face!") Hilarious.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:08 AM   #7
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

It's a Texarkana terror two-fer from Scream Factory, who give Charles B. Pierce's THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN (1976) and THE EVICTORS (1979) their domestic digital debut.

With a trailer that traumatized every '70s kid who saw it, THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN is a procedural account of the Texarkana Moonlight Murders, a still-unsolved true life killing spree that plagued Arkansas in 1946. Ben Johnson and Andrew Prine play small town cops unprepared to deal with The Phantom Killer, whose motiveless crimes are causing increasing panic in the community. Embellishing the verified facts and inventing some others (like its famous trombone stabbing), the film remains a creepy, intense outing, reminiscent of later docudramas like MAN ON A SWING and ZODIAC -- hick cop comedic relief aside. Look for a post-GILLIGAN'S ISLAND Dawn Wells (a Pierce regular) as one of the victims.

In THE EVICTORS, another '40s-era thriller "based on true events," Jessica Harper and Michael Parks are a couple moving into a Louisiana farmhouse only to find its prior tenants have all met gruesome ends. Is history set to repeat itself? Unjustifiably obscure, THE EVICTORS is an atmospheric slow burn, building a tense, creepy mood not easily shaken off. Bonus points for casting Vic Morrow as their real estate agent -- would *you* buy a house from that guy?

No word on extras yet from Shout, but having this pair of regional recommendations available remastered in their correct aspect ratios (a big deal for TOWN especially) is enough to part me from my money.

Blu / DVD combo preorder:

THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN trailer:
http://youtu.be/JOTOxk1naC4

THE EVICTORS trailer:
http://youtu.be/zEGmAnsWEOI

Old 02-11-2013, 01:16 AM   #8
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce h View Post
It's a Texarkana terror two-fer from Scream Factory, who give Charles B. Pierce's THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN (1976) and THE EVICTORS (1979) their domestic digital debut.

With a trailer that traumatized every '70s kid who saw it, THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN is a procedural account of the Texarkana Moonlight Murders, a still-unsolved true life killing spree that plagued Arkansas in 1946. Ben Johnson and Andrew Prine play small town cops unprepared to deal with The Phantom Killer, whose motiveless crimes are causing increasing panic in the community. Embellishing the verified facts and inventing some others (like its famous trombone stabbing), the film remains a creepy, intense outing, reminiscent of later docudramas like MAN ON A SWING and ZODIAC -- hick cop comedic relief aside. Look for a post-GILLIGAN'S ISLAND Dawn Wells (a Pierce regular) as one of the victims.

In THE EVICTORS, another '40s-era thriller "based on true events," Jessica Harper and Michael Parks are a couple moving into a Louisiana farmhouse only to find its prior tenants have all met gruesome ends. Is history set to repeat itself? Unjustifiably obscure, THE EVICTORS is an atmospheric slow burn, building a tense, creepy mood not easily shaken off. Bonus points for casting Vic Morrow as their real estate agent -- would *you* buy a house from that guy?

No word on extras yet from Shout, but having this pair of regional recommendations available remastered in their correct aspect ratios (a big deal for TOWN especially) is enough to part me from my money.

Blu / DVD combo preorder:

THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN trailer:
http://youtu.be/JOTOxk1naC4

THE EVICTORS trailer:
http://youtu.be/zEGmAnsWEOI

Man, I can't believe I've never seen this. I was also going to skip the new Blu-Ray but that post pretty much sold me.
Alongside, Sinister and Lifeforce this is a top release in terms of interest for me.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #9
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropophagus View Post
Man, I can't believe I've never seen this. I was also going to skip the new Blu-Ray but that post pretty much sold me.
Glad to hear my write-ups are at least getting *one* person to check the flicks out -- hopefully you won't be disappointed!

As a clarification, the master for THE EVICTORS supplied by MGM is standard def, so it's being included as an extra. That's why the release is not being promoted as a double-bill.

Covers:
Old 02-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #10
russweiss
Maniac

Last time I watched the Burning it didn't live up to my teenage memories from the mid 1980's. I'll still pick it up if the transfer is an improvement over the DVD.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Burning  French Mini.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	501.6 KB
ID:	6323  
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:37 AM   #11
ronnie21
HackMaster

the picture above of glasser getting speared looks like a good shot. if the bluray looks this good. might have to double dip
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:47 AM   #12
Bluenoser
Stalker

For my fellow Canadians, the pre-orders are up on amazon.ca.

The Burning - $20.99
The Town That Dreaded Sundown - $18.99
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #13
fceurich39
HackMaster

final list of extras for The Burning!

- Audio Commentary with Director Tony Maylam and International Film Journalist Alan Jones
- Audio Commentary with stars Shelley Bruce and Bonnie Deroski
- Blood ‘n’ Fire Memories – A detailed look at the creation of the film’s make-up effects with Special Effects Artist Tom Savini
- Slash & Cut – An interview with editor Jack Sholder
- Cropsy Speaks – An interview with actor Lou David
- Summer Camp Nightmare – An interview with actress Leah Ayres
- Behind-the-Scenes Footage
- Theatrical Trailer
- Make-Up Effects Still Gallery
- Poster & Still Gallery
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #14
Matt89
HackMaster

Yeah saw this on my FB newsfeed. Fucking awesome. A whole new commentary? That's sweet, can't wait!

~Matt
Old 03-08-2013, 10:14 PM   #15
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Perfectly fine with my MGM DVD.

I'll be upgrading Lifeforce however.