Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 07-17-2012, 02:29 AM   #16
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannafey View Post
They showed it on this channel??? I just got it and love it!! What a great station for fans of horror/scifi and exploitation. I can't believe what they are showing!
It was a true shock. The Troma DVD makes it look like one of the worst shot films of all-time. So I couldn't imagine why anyone would go to the effort of preparing an HD transfer. But it looks like a completely different film. I've never seen a more dramatic leap from DVD to HD.

MGMHD always seems to offer some great genre stuff. The last few months they've been showing a lot of Bronson films. And lately they've had some great blaxploitation flicks. Coffy has been on all the time. I never get tired of that one.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #17
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

This won't be released any time soon. Posted on the AV Maniacs thread yesterday:

Quote:
Heard from Media Blasters today that they just got the HD master from Sam Sherman, so there's no way this will be released for another couple of months, at least. Glad to hear MB hasn't changed the way things work for them...
satans-sadists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:42 PM   #18
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
It was a true shock. The Troma DVD makes it look like one of the worst shot films of all-time. So I couldn't imagine why anyone would go to the effort of preparing an HD transfer. But it looks like a completely different film. I've never seen a more dramatic leap from DVD to HD.

MGMHD always seems to offer some great genre stuff. The last few months they've been showing a lot of Bronson films. And lately they've had some great blaxploitation flicks. Coffy has been on all the time. I never get tired of that one.
Yeah, I'm loving the station!! I pre-ordered the Blu-Ray from DeepDiscount!!
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:36 AM   #19
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Ticks me off that I jumped and pre-ordered expecting it to be out last week. Now it shows Sept 25th!! Well, at least I know it's paid for and I'll get it when it comes out!!
Old 08-03-2012, 06:49 AM   #20
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannafey View Post
Ticks me off that I jumped and pre-ordered expecting it to be out last week. Now it shows Sept 25th!! Well, at least I know it's paid for and I'll get it when it comes out!!
I pre-ordered this too. Media Blasters is once again unreliable with their street dates. At least there are a lot of new releases (from other companies) to hold my interest until then.
satans-sadists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #21
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

I would be beyond pissed if I paid for something that never came out when it was supposed to then delayed for 2 months.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #22
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

I went ahead and cancelled my order from DeepDiscount. Tired of waiting.

Ironically it is on MGMHD this week. Already set the DVR.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:12 AM   #23
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Satus on Dracula Vs Frankenstein (thanks to DVDNewsFlash for the update):

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...ncels-releases

"According to Right Stuf, Media Blasters removed the following titles from its schedule:

•Kite on Blu-ray
•Squid Girl, Part 3 (Season 2)
•Gaogaigar Complete Collection
•Live-action films Unaware, Tokyo Vengeance, Ring of Curse, Fresh Meat Six Pack, Dracula vs. Frankenstein on Blu-ray

Media Blasters has not responded to ANN's request for comment"

So, I'm guessin' cancelled then?
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #24
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
So, I'm guessin' cancelled then?
Probably so. Media Blasters are the absolute worst as far as delayed and cancelled releases.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #25
Jimmy S
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
Media Blasters are the absolute worst as far as delayed and cancelled releases.
This is because of the strange way they work. When they got the rights to a film they set a release date and offer it to pre-order immediatly. But don't check the materials condition or even if the material is indeed available...

Certainly not the best system in the world, a huge difference exist between saying "cool we got the right of the film XYZ" and "cool we got the rights of the film XYZ and it will be release in two months". It's the reason why I don't pre-order their titles anymore (the last one was Emmanuelle and the Last Cannibals and for all I know it was never released).

At least Burial Ground wasn't cancel
Jimmy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #26
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Good riddance! After watching it again on MGM HD I realized how bad this film is!!
Old 12-01-2012, 02:03 AM   #27
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy S View Post
This is because of the strange way they work. When they got the rights to a film they set a release date and offer it to pre-order immediatly. But don't check the materials condition or even if the material is indeed available...
Yeah, like I said... shitty fucking studio.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #28
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce h View Post
Al Adamson on blu-ray? Who would've thought? Media Blasters are releasing DRACULA VS. FRANKENSTEIN in hi-def through their Shriek Show arm. The story basically involves ol' Drac digging up the Frankenstein Monster and trying to get him reanimated, but there's so much more going on: outlaw bikers, missing sisters, a rampaging axe-murderer, hippie communes, sideshows replete with ticket-taking midgets, etc., etc.

No word on print source yet, but MGM Restorationist Darren Gross had this to say on my Facebook page (in response to Fred Olen Ray wondering how good it could look): "The main title sequence was shot in 35mm, the rest in 16mm. If they use a clone of MGM's HD transfer, it will look gorgeous. We used the 16mm originals for the body of the transfer and 35mm originals for the main title. Still grainy, of course, but it's the best it will ever look!"

DVD: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0081AWUVI
Since my original posting, the blu has been canceled. However, the DVD has been quietly released and is in stock with some Amazon sellers. I picked the disc up last night from a Baltimore record store and popped it in for a bit when I got home. The print is indeed MGM's HD remaster, and looks pretty darn good for what it is. It's also loaded with extras, including a commentary, a Sam Sherman featurette, deleted scenes and alternate ending, trailers, stills gallery, 8mm behind-the-scenes and promo stuff, and probably some other odds and ends I'm forgetting. For its low price, it's a really good deal, though your mileage will vary with the film itself. (Al Adamson flicks ain't for all tastes.)

Last edited by bruce h; 02-12-2013 at 01:42 PM.
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #29
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

DVD Drive-In review:

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/a...kenstein71.htm
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote