Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 02-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
ronnie21
HackMaster

My bloody valentine 81 blu ray out of print already.

yep, if you have it hold on to it. Its finally OOP.. oh well.. I had it lent it to someone never got it back. But personally i like the picture of the dvd better...Wonder why these titles go out of print so quick...amazon marketplaces and ebay will be selling for fortunes no doubt..
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
Paff

I say this over and over again: OOP is not a big deal. What do you think, they're going to press every title over and over again till the end of time? All it does is create some kind of artificial demand. The Amazon and E-bay sellers you talk about it will indeed crank up the price and scream "OOP!!!!", and fans will fall all over themselves to buy it at their inflated prices. Meanwhile, there's some used record store with half a dozen copies they can't move at $4.99.

The reason I rail against this so much is that those Amazon and E-bay sellers are COUNTING on people to do just what Ronnie21 here has done, and that is to spread the word that this is now some kind of hard-to-find collectible. And worse, some who were just about to dump the title will now hold on to it, thinking it'll be another Criterion Salo that goes for hundreds of dollars.

I know you're just passing on the word, a service to other fans of the movie, but we all have to be careful not to scream that the sky is falling just because yet another title has gone OOP.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
Cropsy
Screamy Bopper

Plus, it will be re-released. Probably soon.
Cropsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

This has been OOP for a while now, probably because Lionsgate's licensing deal with Paramount expired. The same is true of Hard Rain and Drop Zone.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this show up again via Paramount's licensing deals with Olive or Warner Brothers.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
ronnie21
HackMaster

i think the uncut footage matches up better on the dvd than it did on the blu-ray. the transfer on the blu seemed that they turned the brightness button way up.. only thing that the blu has thats diffrent is the trailer. which i dont know why it wasnt on the dvd as well..
Old 02-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

I was happy to find a copy of the Canadian version of this a few months ago when it did go OOP, same disc ID as the US version, just Maple logos in place of Lionsgate on the cover (and Canada rating). I think it looks far better than the dvd, but it does make the deleted footage stand out far more.

If there's any Meijer's stores in your area, that's where I found mine. Most Meijer's have some Canadian bds including the OOP Running Man (new onefrom Olive will lose all extras for a new commentary and 7.1 for 2.0), Drop Zone, Hard Rain and all these really.

If it does get re-issued, there's a good chance it will lose the extras just like Cujo and Running Man already have. If you've been on the fence, grab it now.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #7
Matt89
HackMaster

The features on the My Bloody Valentine BD aren't even features. There's a trailer, the other "special features" suck. I guarantee you that Olive will probably re-release it in the coming months.

Oh and the blu-ray looked fucking amazing. One of the best-looking transfers of a slasher film that I've seen yet. They did an amazing job.

~Matt

Last edited by Matt89; 02-14-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Matt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:53 PM   #8
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
Oh and the blu-ray looked fucking amazing. One of the best-looking transfers of a slasher film that I've seen yet. They did an amazing job.
This.

Of course, the deleted footage stands out horribly now, but the "normal" footage is indeed amazing-looking.

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 02-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #9
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

It appears the 2001 slasher film Valentine is also out of print.

Anyone? Anyone?
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #10
Paff

If you really want a criminal "OOP" of My Bloody Valentine situation, it's the Alesmith brewery. Every February they have a "My Bloody Valentine Ale" (and in October there's an "Evil Dead Red"). But they only make a small batch, only available at the brewery. They don't bottle it! And you can't even take home a growler of it. You can only drink it there. Boooooo

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 02-14-2013, 10:28 PM   #11
ronnie21
HackMaster

normal footage always looked good anyway....
Old 02-15-2013, 01:54 AM   #12
The Tall Man
Stalker

What does everyone make of this ????

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/My-Bloody...item35bf84a967

Nearly 500 bucks ! I doubt this is real.

"Very rare Japanese edition was realeased before Paramount made their cuts in the USA. This seldom seen disc is in fantastic condition and should satsify the most vain collector!!"

So, supposedly this contains the cut scenes that people wanted for over 20 years, and has in fact been around all that time anyway ?

Last edited by The Tall Man; 02-15-2013 at 01:57 AM.
The Tall Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:59 AM   #13
othervoice1
HackMaster

This was truly a great release with the regular film looking great and the ability to see the cut scenes- so happy I have it in my collection- although I will admit tonight I am watching the remake in 3D at home- but only because Ive already watched the original so many times <:
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #14
It's me, Billy
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
It appears the 2001 slasher film Valentine is also out of print.

Anyone? Anyone?
I love that film, but for reasons I can't understand, it really got trashed by quite a few horror fans in the years since its 2001 theatrical release. I found it to be very suspenseful and the killer looked really creepy with that "cherub" mask. Plus, there was quite a bit of eye candy on hand too. (Denise Richards, etc.) It really needs a Blu-ray release.

Another horror film that needs some attention is Cherry Falls (2000) with Brittany Murphy (RIP sweet girl). It was supposed to get a theatrical release, but got dumped on USA Network in October 2000. The one and only DVD release (which has been OOP for several years) was in Feb./March 2001 and it was a pathetic Double Feature DVD (paired with Terror Tract) which proves that USA Films had no faith in the film selling on its own. Even worse, when Cherry Falls was filming (in prep for a theatrical release, which never happened) it was originally going to be very brutal and bloody. IIRC, the original cut was given a NC-17. Naturally, the director had to tone it down to achieve a "R" rating, because most theaters won't show NC-17 films (stupid!) Well, when it was decided that the film was going to bypass theaters and go the direct to television route (courtesy USA Network) the film had to be completely butchered again because USA wasn't a premium pay channel like HBO, Showtime, or Cinemax where all the goodies could be shown. Also, because USA had commercials, even more cutting was necessary. So, there are three cuts of the film. The heavily butchered television version, the "R" rated DVD version, and the NC-17 version, which has never been available. I'd love to have a proper DVD and Blu-ray release.
It's me, Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #15
SickNick89
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie21 View Post
i think the uncut footage matches up better on the dvd than it did on the blu-ray. the transfer on the blu seemed that they turned the brightness button way up.. only thing that the blu has thats diffrent is the trailer. which i dont know why it wasnt on the dvd as well..
The reason for the trailer being on the blu but not the dvd is because after the release of the dvd but before the blu Don May had found a 35mm trailer and had offered it up to Lionsgate to put as an extra on the blu ray release.

My DVD Collection:
http://sicknick.dvdaf.com/
SickNick89 is offline   Reply With Quote