Other (Creepshow 3? lol) 2 3.92%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #31
Ash28M
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Well now you're just talking crazy...
I guess it's just me but Trick r Treat feels like an average Masters of Horror episode. There was nothing new or shocking or chilling about it. I don't know, I've seen it like 3 times and I just don't see what you guys are seeing. I guess i'll have to give it another try. On the other hand outside of the rap around story and the slasher episode I though each story in V/H/S had something to offer and had it's chilling moments.

Last edited by Ash28M; 02-14-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:07 PM   #32
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash28M View Post
I guess it's just me but Trick r Treat feels like an average Masters of Horror episode. There was nothing new or shocking or chilling about it. I don't know, I've seen it like 3 times and I just don't see what you guys are seeing. I guess i'll have to give it another try. On the other hand outside of the rap around story and the slasher episode I though each story in V/H/S had something to offer and had it's chilling moments.
Yes you need to give it another try. It is one of the best celebrations of Halloween put on film, with one of the coolest horror characters in a long time.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:36 PM   #33
maybrick
HackMaster

Every Masters of Horror episode always felt like the producers forced excessive gore into it whether the story warranted it or not. It was one of the major things that irked me about the program. I guess they were contractually obligated to give the guys at KNB something to do... Trick 'R Treat had gore, but none of it was so deliberately over the top that I felt as if I was watching a MOH.

If you've already seen a film three times and you still give it a thumbs down, then I wouldn't bother with a fourth. You're better off watching something else.

Last edited by maybrick; 02-14-2013 at 11:39 PM.
maybrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:43 AM   #34
Paff

Yeah, I don't give a movie more than 2 attempts to like it (if it has a solid reputation, of course). Example: Session 9

I've mentioned it time and time again, it's the cohesiveness that makes Trick r Treat stand out so much. Even more than the individual stories. The whole is greater than the sum of it's parts, so to speak. You really feel you've seen ONE film, not a collection of shorts. Very few people refer to Pulp Fiction or Amores Perros as "anthology" films for that very same reason.

The Theatre Bizarre was the worst offender in the cohesiveness department. I really felt like I was at a film festival, watching the horror-themed shorts program. Some were well done, others were absolute shit. And there was nothing tying them together other than the fact that they were all horror themed.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #35
Ash28M
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
Every Masters of Horror episode always felt like the producers forced excessive gore into it whether the story warranted it or not. It was one of the major things that irked me about the program. I guess they were contractually obligated to give the guys at KNB something to do... Trick 'R Treat had gore, but none of it was so deliberately over the top that I felt as if I was watching a MOH.

If you've already seen a film three times and you still give it a thumbs down, then I wouldn't bother with a fourth. You're better off watching something else.
It's not that i hate the film i just don't get what the big deal is, much like the way i feel about cabin in the woods. Also the fact that Trick r Treat is more of a cohesive story doesn't matter to me. What matters to me is that i feel both V/H/S and the Theatre Bizarre have at least three segments each that are more enjoyable to me then any segment of Trick r Treat. They do feel like a collection of short films, you guys are right but that doesn't take away from my enjoyment at all. Being cleverly put together or being self referential isn't anywhere near the top of my check list when it comes to horror. Take at look at the best horror films of all time, barley any are known for those traits. As for MOH I don't mind at all that they threw in excess gore or went over the top, it was all part of the fun.

Last edited by Ash28M; 02-15-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #36
thrashard76
Thrash or be Thrashed

Trick 'r Treat
Old 05-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #37
spawningblue
Deadite

I finally saw VHS and can't believe it's even getting mentioned in the same breath as Trick r Treat. What a piece of crap VHS, with only the final story being worth a watch. None of the twist endings were very good, the acting was terrible, and it all looked like it was shot by a bunch of high schoolers. Trick r Treat on the other hand is a loving tribute to the Halloween holiday with its cinematography and set decoration, has fun twist endings like a good anthology should, great acting, and all fits together nicely.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote