Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > Euro Horror

Old 06-27-2005, 10:24 PM   #1
Crystal Plumage
Dig me..but don't bury me

Island Of the Fishmen - Sergio Martino

H.Simon Kittay's current avatar is the inspiration for this thread.

Any opinions on this movie?
I never seen it,only read one review
The NoShame Italy release apparantly is the way to go since it has an English audio option.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:30 PM   #2
jak

Pretty bad, it just doesn't do much with the premise. the Screamers version is interesting only for it's inserted opening. Richard Johnson is good as always though.

Personally, the only way I would ever consider buying this one is if they found the lost footage of the Screamers print with a man being turned inside out (a pivotal part of the advertising).
Old 06-27-2005, 11:00 PM   #3
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak
Pretty bad, it just doesn't do much with the premise. the Screamers version is interesting only for it's inserted opening. Richard Johnson is good as always though.

Personally, the only way I would ever consider buying this one is if they found the lost footage of the Screamers print with a man being turned inside out (a pivotal part of the advertising).
Saw this on french tv a few years back and I could swear the man being turned inside out footage was included. Is this scene really considered lost? Does anyone have a description of it?
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 11:37 PM   #4
JW77
Support Halliburton

What did the "man turned inside-out" scene look like?

I remember seeing this advertised in the newspapers when I was a youngin'. THEY'RE MEN... TURNED INSIDE-OUT! AND WORSE THEY'RE STILL ALIVE! Kind of freaked me out.

Now there's a movie that could stand a remake. Remake it into the movie it should've been in the first place.
"There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz, and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and any others." -- Harry J. Anslinger, first commissioner of the United States Bureau of Narcotics
JW77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 12:38 AM   #5
DeathDealer
I Inhale Horror

Crystal, this movie is pretty chessey. The fish people look annoyingly weird, stupid, and fake. Plus the acting, screenplay, and directing do not help the film at all, it damaged the film.

It seemed like a worthless effort, from a worthless director.

Sorry, Just had to say that. I may change my opinion on him later.

My Dvd CollectioN

Top 6 Directors Of All Time (No Order) -

1. Quentin Tarantino (America) 2. Dario Argento (Italy) 3. Takashi Miike (Japan)
Ingmar Bergman (Sweden) 5. Akira Kurosawa (Japan) 6. Martin Scorsese (America)
DeathDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 06:16 PM   #6
h. simon kittay

this movie with its fishmen, an underwater city, a mad scientist, mutants and an erupting vulcano is rather enjoyable. you have to see it for what it is though, a cheesy b movie, but knowing that, i think it is entertaining.

it has nice costumes and sets, lots of (obvious) miniatures and funny looking fishmen. claudio cassinelli is one of my favorite italian genre actors and richard johnson is also pretty good here.

just like martino's big alligator river, made with much of the same cast and crew, this is a winner!

and i'm going for noshame's dvd for sure....
Old 06-29-2005, 05:04 PM   #7
Crystal Plumage
Dig me..but don't bury me

Also haven't seen his Aligator film yet.I'll check that out too.
If I can find them cheap I'll buy them both.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:29 PM   #8
eric_angelus
Testacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW77
What did the "man turned inside-out" scene look like?

I remember seeing this advertised in the newspapers when I was a youngin'. THEY'RE MEN... TURNED INSIDE-OUT! AND WORSE THEY'RE STILL ALIVE! Kind of freaked me out.

Now there's a movie that could stand a remake. Remake it into the movie it should've been in the first place.
I am pretty sure that scene only existed as part of the trailer and tv spot. According to the IMDB, Corman did eventually insert clips from the trailer into the prints of the film when audiences complained...but these prints seem to have vanished. The VHS version from Embassy has no inside out men. I have the VHS here, but I have not watched in in a really long time. I remember the movie being corny but enjoyable.
eric_angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 07:26 PM   #9
youthief
Victim

delete

Last edited by youthief; 08-18-2008 at 10:42 PM.
youthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:02 AM   #10
legz
Victim

The trailer for Screamers is on You Tube. Here is the link for it:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IHGZI6gt8g
legz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #11
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

I love that trailer. The actual film could be watched back to back with War Gods of the Deep.
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #12
maybrick
HackMaster

You mean that there is actually footage out there of people being turned inside out? Even if its just for the trailer that's pretty awesome. I always thought that it was nothing more than a nonsensical bait and switch tactic with the box and was disappointed that it didn't turn out to be the motion picture adaptation of the old Lights Out! radio play called "The Dark". (If you've never heard it then by all means track it down. It's awesome!)
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #13
Eddyw78
Stalker

I know its a different movie but I always loved Martino's Mountain Of The Cannibal God also starring Cassinelli. Would really like to see Blue Underground do a Blu ray of this.
Eddyw78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #14
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

I think the "man turned inside out" scene is really some little miniature puppet that was dubbed with a growl while a few latex squibs covered in slime blew up with air. It looked nothing like someone being turned inside out. The "it" being shown in the trailer that's on Youtube.
I was always disappointed that Corman didn't just finance a brand new movie with that very notion of someone being turned inside out. I guess Incredible Melting Man was as close to that notion as we're gonna get.
Now here are two films THEY SHOULD REMAKE.
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #15
maybrick
HackMaster

Here's "the man turned inside out" story I was talking about:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HC2mNJcYtvw
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote