Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 02-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #16
othervoice1
HackMaster

Quote:
normal footage always looked good anyway....
But there is a pretty significant difference between the dvd and blu ray in picture quality
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #17
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Never bought it.. The DVD looks fantastic.
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #18
maybrick
HackMaster

My Bloody Valentine wound up being one of my most repurchased titles. I bought the original Paramound DVD, then the Lionsgate Special Edition, and then the Lionsgate Special Edtition on blu-ray when I found it for $5 at Walmart. I've even bought the remake twice!
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #19
Paul0889
Maniac

i wish we could get cherry falls and valentine uncut. i hear the original uncut version of valentine, which actually WAS given an R rating at first but was edited down by Warner Bros, was a lot nastier.
Paul0889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:04 PM   #20
Steel76
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul0889 View Post
i hear the original uncut version of valentine, which actually WAS given an R rating at first but was edited down by Warner Bros, was a lot nastier.
It was actually the director himself who choose to cut out the gorier stuff.
He said so himself on the commentary track on Valentine.
He also "chickened out" on showing some gore in Urban Legends.
But I guess he wanted to make the movies more like "Halloween" and "Texas Chainsaw", where the gore is more implied rather than explicitly shown.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:47 AM   #21
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's me, Billy View Post
I love that film, but for reasons I can't understand, it really got trashed by quite a few horror fans in the years since its 2001 theatrical release. I found it to be very suspenseful and the killer looked really creepy with that "cherub" mask. Plus, there was quite a bit of eye candy on hand too. (Denise Richards, etc.) It really needs a Blu-ray release.

Another horror film that needs some attention is Cherry Falls (2000) with Brittany Murphy (RIP sweet girl). It was supposed to get a theatrical release, but got dumped on USA Network in October 2000. The one and only DVD release (which has been OOP for several years) was in Feb./March 2001 and it was a pathetic Double Feature DVD (paired with Terror Tract) which proves that USA Films had no faith in the film selling on its own. Even worse, when Cherry Falls was filming (in prep for a theatrical release, which never happened) it was originally going to be very brutal and bloody. IIRC, the original cut was given a NC-17. Naturally, the director had to tone it down to achieve a "R" rating, because most theaters won't show NC-17 films (stupid!) Well, when it was decided that the film was going to bypass theaters and go the direct to television route (courtesy USA Network) the film had to be completely butchered again because USA wasn't a premium pay channel like HBO, Showtime, or Cinemax where all the goodies could be shown. Also, because USA had commercials, even more cutting was necessary. So, there are three cuts of the film. The heavily butchered television version, the "R" rated DVD version, and the NC-17 version, which has never been available. I'd love to have a proper DVD and Blu-ray release.
I was one of the guys that trashed Valentine, and I still will at any opportunity. Fortunately it's been long enough that I remember very little of it, other than it having a thoroughly unlikeable cast. But as much as I hated Valentine I hated Cherry Falls faaaarrr worse. And no, I will never give either one of them a second chance so forget about even mentioning the thought.

Last edited by maybrick; 02-18-2013 at 02:50 AM.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:03 AM   #22
othervoice1
HackMaster

Quote:
i wish we could get cherry falls and valentine uncut. i hear the original uncut version of valentine, which actually WAS given an R rating at first but was edited down by Warner Bros, was a lot nastier.
I would love to see an uncut version of Valentine- but I bet chances are slim to none.

Last edited by othervoice1; 02-18-2013 at 04:07 AM.
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:49 AM   #23
Sam
Maniac

Found this in a used bookstore not too long ago for like $5. Don't lose hope on oop titles.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #24
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
It appears the 2001 slasher film Valentine is also out of print.

Anyone? Anyone?
When shipping will cost you 3X the price of the dvd on amazon, that means yeah it is OOP, but no one cares!

I feel the same way about another pile of shit film called Blue Demon I just revisited. It sucks so bad and is OOP, but used copies start under a buck and new ones don't go over $7. It now waits for the next upgrade and save as that's all it's good for. Should've thrown that fucker out in 2006 when I got it, for some reason I kept it.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #25
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's me, Billy View Post
Another horror film that needs some attention is Cherry Falls (2000) with Brittany Murphy (RIP sweet girl). It was supposed to get a theatrical release, but got dumped on USA Network in October 2000. The one and only DVD release (which has been OOP for several years) was in Feb./March 2001 and it was a pathetic Double Feature DVD (paired with Terror Tract) which proves that USA Films had no faith in the film selling on its own. Even worse, when Cherry Falls was filming (in prep for a theatrical release, which never happened) it was originally going to be very brutal and bloody. IIRC, the original cut was given a NC-17. Naturally, the director had to tone it down to achieve a "R" rating, because most theaters won't show NC-17 films (stupid!) Well, when it was decided that the film was going to bypass theaters and go the direct to television route (courtesy USA Network) the film had to be completely butchered again because USA wasn't a premium pay channel like HBO, Showtime, or Cinemax where all the goodies could be shown. Also, because USA had commercials, even more cutting was necessary. So, there are three cuts of the film. The heavily butchered television version, the "R" rated DVD version, and the NC-17 version, which has never been available. I'd love to have a proper DVD and Blu-ray release.
Fan of this movie too.

This has been in rotation for a while on HBO (not On Demand). In glorious HD. Side note, Brittany Murphy looks really good in HD in this particular movie. This could be the only way to see this movie in HD. As far as the uncut version, that's another story.

Upcoming schedule: (Might be the last time for a while)

Wed 2/20 9:50AM HBOZ HD East
Wed 2/20 12:50PM HBOZ HD West
Thu 2/28 1:10AM HBO2 HD East
Thu 2/28 4:10AM HBO2 HD West

Last edited by baggio; 02-19-2013 at 05:06 PM.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:53 AM   #26
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

If anyone is curious about the status of My Bloody Valentine, it appears to have gone to Warner in their deal with Paramount.

Warner will be re-releasing the barebones R-rated Paramount DVD on September 24th.

Thank goodness LionsGate got ahold of it and released the uncut blu-ray before it ended up with Warner.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:00 AM   #27
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Yah Mon!
Old 08-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #28
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
If anyone is curious about the status of My Bloody Valentine, it appears to have gone to Warner in their deal with Paramount.

Warner will be re-releasing the barebones R-rated Paramount DVD on September 24th.

Thank goodness LionsGate got ahold of it and released the uncut blu-ray before it ended up with Warner.

The artwork is not good at all on the "new" release imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
I say this over and over again: OOP is not a big deal. What do you think, they're going to press every title over and over again till the end of time? All it does is create some kind of artificial demand. The Amazon and E-bay sellers you talk about it will indeed crank up the price and scream "OOP!!!!", and fans will fall all over themselves to buy it at their inflated prices. Meanwhile, there's some used record store with half a dozen copies they can't move at $4.99.

The reason I rail against this so much is that those Amazon and E-bay sellers are COUNTING on people to do just what Ronnie21 here has done, and that is to spread the word that this is now some kind of hard-to-find collectible. And worse, some who were just about to dump the title will now hold on to it, thinking it'll be another Criterion Salo that goes for hundreds of dollars.

I know you're just passing on the word, a service to other fans of the movie, but we all have to be careful not to scream that the sky is falling just because yet another title has gone OOP.
Well this is one example of OOP being a really bad thing. Look what happened.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #29
Steel76
Maniac

Warner must be totally retarded for not putting the Unrated version on their re-release.

Glad I got the Unrated BD safe in my collection. I doubt it will ever be released again, unless some european label gets the rights to the uncut version in the future.

This is one of my top 5 slashers, and Im thinking about getting another copy (if I can find one) as a spare, just in case
Old 08-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #30
Steel76
Maniac

Still a few left on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Bloody-Valenti...entine+blu+ray

So it might be the right time to snatch a copy before the prices go through the roof