Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 02-20-2013, 04:08 AM   #1
ronnie21
HackMaster

Movies that everyone else likes, but you cant stand?

For me, i know its not horror, but everyone around tends to think no movie on the planet is better than the godfather. I gotten into many arguments with many people about how its really so overrated and very slow moving.
I know to each his own, but i'd rather watch Psycho II over the godfather. or should i say borefather.. I know it won best picture and has the so called greatest acting ever seen on film. but i just dont dig it...anyone with me?
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:18 AM   #2
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Fight Club.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:19 AM   #3
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie21 View Post
For me, i know its not horror, but everyone around tends to think no movie on the planet is better than the godfather. I gotten into many arguments with many people about how its really so overrated and very slow moving.
I know to each his own, but i'd rather watch Psycho II over the godfather. or should i say borefather.. I know it won best picture and has the so called greatest acting ever seen on film. but i just dont dig it...anyone with me?
I agree!!
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:20 AM   #4
Mark Relford
Chairman of the Bored

Thumbs down

The Big Lebowski
Old 02-20-2013, 04:24 AM   #5
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Relford View Post
The Big Lebowski
yeah, i really didn't like that either. although i haven't seen it in years. i've always felt i needed to give it another go.

i remember in university being taken to task because i didn't think Zoolander was a funny movie. well, i still think its not. its a stupid piece of shit.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:26 AM   #6
MisterTwister
HackMaster

I find all of the Coen Brothers films vastly overrated.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:44 AM   #7
Body Boy
HackMaster

The Dark Knight (2008)
Silent Rage (1982)
The Avengers (2012)
Halloween (1978) - i like it, but i can't stand how overloved it is...
Halloween 4 (1988)
Friday the 13th Part VI (1986)
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:49 AM   #8
buck135
The Duke of New York

While I agree that The Godfather took several viewings to appreciate, I really liked The Big Lebowski since the first time I saw it in the theaters. I'm very surprised that it has achieved such a massive cult following though. I generally like all of the Coen Brothers for that matter. The film I don't see the appeal for is The Hangover. I guess I just have a different sense of humor than most people. I'll take Robot Chicken over most comedies any day.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:53 AM   #9
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Boy View Post
The Dark Knight (2008)
Really? Did you dislike Batman Begins and/or Dark Knight Rises as well? I haven't heard much criticism when it comes to TDK.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:55 AM   #10
Paff

Love The Godfather (although the second one was a bit overlong for me). I also didn't care for The Big Lebowski when I saw it the first time, but I've caught bits and pieces of it recently while channel surfing and find it a lot funnier now. Bridges, Goodman, and Turturro are hilarious.

For me, it's anything Middle Earth that puts me to sleep. Saw Fellowship of the Rings. Hated it. Read the book. Hated it MORE. Tried the extended version. Still hated it. Gave it one more chance with The Two Towers. Now this was some real sucking. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING happens that really advances the story. I think anyone unfamiliar with the story could go right from Fellowship to Return without missing a thing.

I've still never even bothered with Return of the King. Can't imagine it would make the boring-ass story any more interesting.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:58 AM   #11
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
i remember in university being taken to task because i didn't think Zoolander was a funny movie. well, i still think its not. its a stupid piece of shit.
I remember shutting that off very quickly. I also just remembered another film that I despised that everyone else loved...Anchorman. It seemed as though the second coming had occurred when the sequel was recently announced. I think I was the only person who wasn't excited.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:59 AM   #12
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
For me, it's anything Middle Earth that puts me to sleep. Saw Fellowship of the Rings. Hated it. Read the book. Hated it MORE. Tried the extended version. Still hated it. Gave it one more chance with The Two Towers. Now this was some real sucking. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING happens that really advances the story. I think anyone unfamiliar with the story could go right from Fellowship to Return without missing a thing.

I've still never even bothered with Return of the King. Can't imagine it would make the boring-ass story any more interesting.
So you're not a fan of watching short people walk for hours?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmuT8UeTk4s

Last edited by buck135; 02-20-2013 at 05:05 AM.
buck135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:06 AM   #13
Shlockjock81
HackMaster

-Inception
-Dark Knight Rises
-The Departed
-Fight Club
-Die Hard sequels (actually it's not so much the films themselves. I think the titles are fucking retarded)
-all Friday the 13ths after the first one
-all Nightmare on Elm Street sequels after the 3rd one
-Terminator 2: Judgement Day (it's a good film, I just don't think it holds a candle to the first one)
-The Video Dead
-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (hipster drivel)
-Scott Pilgrim (re: above)
-Shaun of the Dead (some chuckles, but not the side-splitter everyone makes it out to be)... scratch that, ALL Simon Pegg and Nick Frost flicks.

There's a ton more but I'm too disgusted to type.
Shlockjock81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:08 AM   #14
Erick H.
HackMaster

Here's a current one that seems beloved but I just do not care for it.SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK.I thought it was a structureless mess.The performances were solid but I just didn't see the point,and I saw it before the Oscar buzz.I'm actually not a big admirer of David O. Russell to begin with.I loved his debut film,FLIRTING WITH DISASTER and was okay with THREE KINGS (though I found it to be a 70% lift of Clint Eastwood's old film KELLY'S HEROES) but I detested I HEART HUCKABEES and thought THE FIGHTER was extremely overrated and hammy.I guess I'm just not a fan.I know he's much admired though,that's fine,just my opinion.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:29 AM   #15
Ash28M
HackMaster

The Lord or the Rings and The Harry Potter Movies. I can't sit through that stuff and to a lesser extent The Dark Knight films. Also almost every Super Hero, Pixar, action film and romantic comedy made this century.

Last edited by Ash28M; 02-20-2013 at 05:35 AM.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote