Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 02-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #31
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, The Twillight saga, the new entries in Star Wars, Star Trek, Paranormal Activity series, pretty much every action hero film except the Amazing Spider-Man and the Bale Batman series. Also many James Bond films like You Only Live Twice and Diamonds Are Forever which are average, but do not hold a candle to other ones like Dr.No, Goldfinger etc...
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #32
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikan View Post
BULLITT
wow. really? that's one of my favorite movies.

Last edited by dave13; 02-20-2013 at 06:13 PM.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #33
Kim Bruun
HackMaster

Quote:
The PHANTASM films. These films are worse than shit.
THEY LIVE
EVIL DEAD
CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD
House On Sorority Row (1983)
Madman (1982)
Maniac Cop films
Wow! Do you even like horror movies? Granted, I don't love every one of these, but they all have devoted fans and are more or less iconic horror movies.

Phantasm I consider pretty artistic even if I never personally could get into it. It's actually a rather philosphical movie about how we deal with death.

They Live - too long since I've seen it to comment, but I always thought it was universally loved among fans of 80's horror.

Evil Dead I always found overreached itself once the demons start possessing everything, but it is an important film, and justifiably popular.

City of the Living Dead is a gorefest on par with Fulci's other zombie movies. Vomitting guts and rain of maggots not your thing?

Maniac Cop is a character-driven, clever expansion of the slasher formula.

Madman is a cinematographically elegant, atmospheric camp (in every sense) slasher, admittedly with some sketchy acting.

House on Sorority Row is a by-the-book, above-average-but-not-top-five 80's slaher with a good final chase. I can see not loving it, but I don't see hating it unless you hate the subgenre.

I guess my point is that if you dislike all of these intensely, what horror movies do you actually like?
Kim Bruun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #34
Cropsy
Screamy Bopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Boy View Post
The Dark Knight (2008)

Ditto, for me. I actually hate all the Batman movies.
Cropsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #35
Kim Bruun
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildeadfan123 View Post
Have to go with the entire Twilight movies.
I'd say those are loved primarily by one demographic. More mature or critical audiences tend to reject the series for its poorly drawn characters. Love or hate the Harry Potter movies, you have to at least grant that they are well-written, with a positive message about friendship and social responsibility. The Twilight saga is about a girl who is totally obsessed with a guy to the extent that she becomes withdrawn and wastes away in his absense - even attempting suicide, which causes him to have a change of heart and come back to her! Not a healthy message if you ask me, but probably compelling if you're a teenaged girl suffering from unrequited love.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #36
Shlockjock81
HackMaster

Quote:
The PHANTASM films. These films are worse than shit.
THEY LIVE
EVIL DEAD
CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD
BULLITT
Conquest (1983)
Keoma (1976)
The Long Goodbye (1973)
House On Sorority Row (1983)
Madman (1982)
Maniac Cop films
Busting (1974)

You poor, poor, soul.
Wow, really dude? You're actually going to list some of the films you did then call me a 'poor soul' because I don't find Pegg/Frost films funny?

Fuck it's no wonder people argue on here with you all the time.
Shlockjock81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:29 PM   #37
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Bruun View Post
I'd say those are loved primarily by one demographic.
I only wish that was true. Teenage (and pre-teen) girls can like stupid shit. It's their job.

What scares the hell out of me are the middle aged women who love Twilight so damn much. Last year at Comic-Con International, one of these weirdos was actually killed while waiting in line TWO DAYS prior to the Twilight panel. She'd traveled cross country for it, no less.

We all did stupid shit as teenagers. But if I tried doing my old punk look at my age (imagine someone with male pattern baldness trying to sport a mohawk), I'd be rightfully ridiculed...

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #38
Kim Bruun
HackMaster

Well then, Paff, let's call that demographic "romantically unrealistic female neurotics, aged 12 - 45".
Old 02-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #39
Paff

Quote:
Well then, Paff, let's call that demographic "romantically unrealistic female neurotics, aged 12 - 45".
Ah, but my point is that from about 18-35, these women actually have lives and do normal shit like having sex. Then at about 35, they regress. Scary shit, I tells ya.

As for popular movies that don't sit with me, I echo all the comments about superhero movies based on comics. I could totally live without those. I haven't seen Avengers because 1. I'm not interested and 2. I don't know shit about any of the superheroes in it. If I do ever see it, it's only because I'm a Joss Whedon fan, and that's the extent of it.

I did like the first Spiderman movie, but Spiderman was always the exception to the rule about my disinterest in superheroes. But even then, the second movie was dull to me, haven't seen the third or this latest "reboot". I also hated Batman Begins, but enjoyed Dark Knight (it's Heath Ledger that makes it interesting), and really liked Dark Knight Rises. That really surprised me. I was bored at the beginning, but I felt it got really good at the finale.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #40
Kim Bruun
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Ah, but my point is that from about 18-35, these women actually have lives and do normal shit like having sex.
I am not saying that you're wrong, but I know at least one woman in that age group who is an avid fan of the series (to the extent that she felt personally offended that Kristen Stewart had cheated on Robert Pattinson).
Old 02-20-2013, 07:07 PM   #41
Marclar
Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie21 View Post
For me, i know its not horror, but everyone around tends to think no movie on the planet is better than the godfather. I gotten into many arguments with many people about how its really so overrated and very slow moving.
I know to each his own, but i'd rather watch Psycho II over the godfather. or should i say borefather.. I know it won best picture and has the so called greatest acting ever seen on film. but i just dont dig it...anyone with me?
some well promoted movies are lobbied very hard to the general public and then become "classics" or "widely accepted". some of us do not ride the bandwagon....so I agree with you on the borefather. btw - it contains lots of era related propoganda which is one ofnthe big reasons it was lobbied so well.
Marclar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #42
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

All Paranormal Activity flicks.
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #43
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shlockjock81 View Post
Wow, really dude? You're actually going to list some of the films you did then call me a 'poor soul' because I don't find Pegg/Frost films funny?

Fuck it's no wonder people argue on here with you all the time.
Notice the winky face?
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #44
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
Wow! Do you even like horror movies? Granted, I don't love every one of these, but they all have devoted fans and are more or less iconic horror movies.

Phantasm I consider pretty artistic even if I never personally could get into it. It's actually a rather philosphical movie about how we deal with death.

They Live - too long since I've seen it to comment, but I always thought it was universally loved among fans of 80's horror.

Evil Dead I always found overreached itself once the demons start possessing everything, but it is an important film, and justifiably popular.

City of the Living Dead is a gorefest on par with Fulci's other zombie movies. Vomitting guts and rain of maggots not your thing?

Maniac Cop is a character-driven, clever expansion of the slasher formula.

Madman is a cinematographically elegant, atmospheric camp (in every sense) slasher, admittedly with some sketchy acting.

House on Sorority Row is a by-the-book, above-average-but-not-top-five 80's slaher with a good final chase. I can see not loving it, but I don't see hating it unless you hate the subgenre.

I guess my point is that if you dislike all of these intensely, what horror movies do you actually like?
I'm on this site so of course I love horror films. Since 2008 I bet I've watched more than 100 each year. These are the big ones I can't stand. Part of it might be that I didn't see them back in the day so I don't feel any nostalgia for them.

Phantasm - An incoherent mess that was poorly made.

They Live - I love the concept but thought Piper was terrible and at times it looked cheap. The finale was stupid.

Evil Dead - I didn't spend the 80's trying desperately to track this film down so I can't easily forgive the stupid Play-doh monster or mediocre effects.

City of the Living Dead - Compared to Fulci's Zombie, which I love, this is a snoozfest with one cool gore effect.

Maniac Cop - Wanted to love it but didn't. Despite my efforts, I'm not a fan of Lustig's films.

Madman - just didn't resonate with me.

House on Sorority Row - mindless slashers are my favorite horror subgenre. I didn't like the characters and wasn't blown away by the kills. Similar movies have done it better, including the remake.

Some favorites that I've watched recently:
Slumber Party Massacre (1982)
Halloween (1978)
The Fantasist (1986)
Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)
Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985)
The Hazing (Dead Scared) (2004)
I Spit on Your Grave (1978)
Dawn of the Dead (2004)
The Last House on the Left (2009)
Humanoids from the Deep (1980)
The Disappearance of Alice Creed (2009)
Night of the Creeps (1986)
The Cabin in the Woods (2011)
My Bloody Valentine 3D (2009)
Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers (1988)
Sorority Row (2009)
High Tension (2003)
Head of the Family (1996)
Night of the Demons 2 (1994)
Dead Calm (1989)
Happy Birthday to Me (1981)
The Centerfold Girls (1974)
Blood Rage (Nightmare at Shadow Woods) (1987)
Deep Red (1975)
Dead & Buried (1981)
The Devil's Rock (2011)
Sorority House Massacre II (1990)
Psycho II (1983)
Zombie (1979)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
wow. really? that's one of my favorite movies.
In defense of BULLITT, I had watched VANISHING POINT months earlier and was blown away. Had I watched BULLITT first I might have been at least enjoyed the car chase.

Last edited by crikan; 02-20-2013 at 08:14 PM.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #45
Mok
Helena Harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodMan View Post
Scott Pilgrim Vs The World (fucking hate hipsters!)
Agreed!

The Hangover
Transformers
True Blood (TV)
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote