Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 02-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #46
baggio
HackMaster

Great thread but ..... There is already a thread like this. In fact there is one for both sides:

Inspired by the other thread... Least favorite horror films... that the majority love

http://www.horrordigital.com/vb3foru...AVORITE+HORROR

the original, other side of the argument:

Favorite Horror films.... yet the majority Hates

http://www.horrordigital.com/vb3foru...ad.php?t=27260

Lot of great input on those other two threads.

Last edited by baggio; 02-20-2013 at 08:46 PM.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #47
Kim Bruun
HackMaster

Well, at least we share some favourites, crikan, though I can't help but think "how can he love that and not that". But that's what this whole thread is about, I guess! What struck me is that some of the movies you say can't stand are simply movies that, as you say, simply don't resonate with you.

Back on topic:

Demons: I don't get the appeal at all.

The Howling: Just doesn't hit the right notes for me. The ending, for example, strikes me as silly when it should have been shocking or sad.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2: I've watched this several times, hoping desperately to like it (mostly because it's sandwiched between TCM and TCM 3, both of which I love). But I find it obnoxious, overwrought, and not very scary.
Kim Bruun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #48
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
What scares the hell out of me are the middle aged women who love Twilight so damn much. Last year at Comic-Con International, one of these weirdos was actually killed while waiting in line TWO DAYS prior to the Twilight panel. She'd traveled cross country for it, no less.
You have to elaborate now! How was she killed, why, and did they catch the killer? Was it a tent city thing ala "Occupy Whatever"?

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #49
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
You have to elaborate now! How was she killed, why, and did they catch the killer? Was it a tent city thing ala "Occupy Whatever"?
Oh, it's not that exciting. She just got hit by a car (the San Diego Convention Center is on a pretty busy street, and they don't close it off to traffic until the convention actually STARTS). She was crossing the street (probably to get more Twinkies, based on the photos I saw of her) when she got smacked.

Funny you mention the Occupy thing though, as I had a friend who did a swan dive off a 7-story parking structure right into the Occupy gathering. I bet they all wished they'd gone to work that day instead of witnessing THAT, huh?

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #50
MisterTwister
HackMaster

The Howling: I just find it extremely dull.

House of the Devil: Starts off solid but the middle draaaaaaaaags and the pay off at the end is unsatisfying. Great soundtrack, though.

Cemetery Man: Once the zombies disappeared so did my interest in it.

Black Sabbath: I though the first story was poorly executed, the 2nd story was overly predictable and too long and the 3rd one wasn't that bad due to the creepy woman but still nothing special.

The Loved One: I wouldn't say I hated it but people made it out to be the torture film to end all torture films and it was just painfully average. Good performances but nothing to separate it from other films of its type.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #51
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggio View Post
Great thread but ..... There is already a thread like this.
there's also the "Unpopular Opinions" thread, which was pretty great once upon a time.

Here's another one: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. this was some kind of sensation when it came out, but i was bored to death when i saw it.

Also: Get Shorty and Out Of Sight. I saw the latter in the theater, and had to fight the urge to walk out for the last hour. so boring. i think maybe i just don't like Elmore Leonard adaptations. Jackie Brown is my least favorite Tarantino film, although i've been meaning to give it another chance lately.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #52
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikan View Post
In defense of BULLITT, I had watched VANISHING POINT months earlier and was blown away. Had I watched BULLITT first I might have been at least enjoyed the car chase.
i've never seen Vanishing Point. But the car chase is only one element in what i consider a really great, mature detective story. like i said, a favorite from beginning to end. oh well, dif'rent strokes...
Old 02-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #53
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Oh, it's not that exciting. She just got hit by a car (the San Diego Convention Center is on a pretty busy street, and they don't close it off to traffic until the convention actually STARTS). She was crossing the street (probably to get more Twinkies, based on the photos I saw of her) when she got smacked.

Funny you mention the Occupy thing though, as I had a friend who did a swan dive off a 7-story parking structure right into the Occupy gathering. I bet they all wished they'd gone to work that day instead of witnessing THAT, huh?
Wow, fucked up about your friend but crazy, he hit anyone on the way down? I'll guess no as someone getting hit by a falling body will probably die too, and no mention of that. Inventive way to take someone with you if he did though. Hope he wasn't too close to you.

Makes up for the boring hit by car, shit I could get hit or splatter someone anytime I want. I just like freedom and life enough to choose not to.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:04 AM   #54
Paff

I'm surprised at all the hatred for Scott Pilgrim. I never even thought of it as a "hipster" film, but then I imagined all the characters drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon and I kinda see it. Keep in mind that it's always been accepted that Scott is kind of a dick, so we're dealing with a movie with an unlikeable protagonist.

I just like it for the merging of comic book and video game into film, and not so much in a gimmicky way. The styles meld, and it all makes sense in the context of the film's universe. I usually say that everyone complains that there's not anything different in films today, but here's a movie that breaks a lot of rules and conventions of typical film style. And that people don't really want the rules broken, no matter what they say.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:16 AM   #55
ronnie21
HackMaster

I think what annoys the most about godfather is that when 25 to 30 year olds brag about how its the best thing ever layed down on film. what the f do they know?? Iam 40 and its even way before my time... They are just saying that cause their elders drilled that into them..
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:30 AM   #56
maybrick
HackMaster

I can't stand anything "From the makers of Paranormal Activity". If I see that mentioned in the trailer for a film, I know perfectly well that it's a movie I can avoid seeing. In my experience and opinion these people wouldn't know how to make a good movie for the life of them. But seeing as how they are all immensely popular and make a shitload of money, perhaps I'm wrong. But I don't think so.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:34 AM   #57
SickNick89
Stalker

Dawn of the Dead (2004): People always quote this as being the one good remake. All it is is an action movie version of the original with all the human drama and political subtext taken out. oh yeah, and running zombies.

My DVD Collection:
http://sicknick.dvdaf.com/
SickNick89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:20 AM   #58
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie21 View Post
I think what annoys the most about godfather is that when 25 to 30 year olds brag about how its the best thing ever layed down on film. what the f do they know?? Iam 40 and its even way before my time... They are just saying that cause their elders drilled that into them..
im 30, just for context. i love the first two godfather films. i've seen them probably a dozen times each in my life. most recently a month or so ago. i find the opening wedding scene of the first a little hard to get through, i think because each time i see it i'm consciously aware that i'm watching a supremely lauded film, and have a difficult time forgetting about that and just watching it on its own terms. this happens every time i see it. but when the action moves to hollywood and the story begins, i always get drawn in and forget all about that. its just a great movie. not because people older than me have told me it is, but based just on my own appreciation for it. take that for whatever its worth.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:10 AM   #59
Marshall Crist
Stalker

I'm 45, LOVE films from the 70s above all else, and the Godfather movies do nothing for me.
Marshall Crist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:59 AM   #60
ronnie21
HackMaster

all the godfather is really about in a nutshell is a about a bunch of theiving murderers who dont wanna get real jobs. ha ha ha
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote