Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 10-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #16
baggio
HackMaster

Didn't really like the movie. Word to the wise, make sure you use Dramamine if you intend to see it.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:48 AM   #17
BloodMan
Kill Time B4 It Kills You

The first story, awesome... second and third are garbage... the fourth one was good, the last one the best imo, fun anyway... and the wraparound stuff goes nowhere... just ends before the last bit... *shrug*

If I Don't Have The Right To Torture You, Why Then Do You Have The Right To Torture Me By Taking Away The Pleasure That I Could Get From Torturing You?

Remember, one cannot make footprints in the sands of time by sitting on their butt, and who wants to leave butt prints in the sands of time?
BloodMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:55 AM   #18
Ash28M
HackMaster

Gave this a second viewing and I thought it held up very well. It's definitely my favorite anthology to come out in a long time.

I would rate the segments.

Tape 56 (wraparound (6.5/10)
Amateur Night (9/10)
Second Honeymoon (7.5/10)
Tuesday the 17th (7/10)
The Sick Thing That Happened to Emily When She Was Younger (8/10)
10/31/98 (8/10)

Overall about 8/10
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #19
Angelman
HackMaster

Digging it. Watching it on my phone right now. The first segment (not the guys with bats) was really good. You know what's coming... and it still works.
Angelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #20
spawningblue
Deadite

I have been pumped to see this one for a while now. It has been getting mixed reviews, but for the most part they have been positive. One of my good friends who is into horror flicks as much as I am really enjoyed it as well, so I had somewhat high expectations. That and I love anthology films, and even if they are getting a little stale now, I tend to like most found footage films.

Having said that, I thought this movie was for the most part terrible. The camera shakiness was some of the worst I've seen, the acting was not good, none of it really felt like or made sense to be on VHS, and every story felt like I could have filmed it over a weekend. I know this film had a low budget but I really don't know how it cost more then food and a few brews for the actors. And you know what, I would be willing to let all the go if the stories were any good, unfortunately they are not. They don't even have good endings which is something even bad anthology flicks can usually get right.

Lets dig into the stories.

Tape 56 - The wrap around story is awful, pointless, and contains some of the most obnoxious and annoying characters I've seen on film. They could have went so many ways with the wrap around and this is the best they could come up with? Actually complaint pretty much fits all the stories here. Is this really the best these Directors could come up with? Skype on VHS, really?

Amateur Night - The first story is okay I guess, but again the characters are really annoying, and it's shot terribly. I give credit to the main actress as she delivers the perfect amount of weird/ creepy, and has a unique look. The gore was decent but not much of an ending, a problem with most of these.

Second Honeymoon - The second story had a decent set up, and a creepy moment or two, but was overshadowed by the ending when it is explained what is actually going on. Yawn. What's really saddening is this was directed by one of the better horror Directors out there right now, Ti West, who up until this point had a perfect record with me.

Tuesday the 17th - The third story in the woods used a cool effect to show the killer, but everything else was just awful. This was painful to get through and was just really dumb.

The Sick Thing That Happened to Emily When She Was Younger - The fourth story had again not much happening. It wasn't scary, and the ending was not good.

10/31/98 - The last story was the only saving grace of the film, even if it made no sense why the tape was playing. This one was actually well done with some cool effects, decent scares, and okay dialogue/ acting. Although again it wasn't perfect. The rednecks doing the exorcism were just goofy and cliche. And the ending again wasn't much of a payoff. It was fun, but when you actually take a look at what the plot, there really isn't one. And come on, I find it hard to believe they would get that house mixed up for a house throwing a Halloween party.

I'm really surprised by all the praise this one is getting. Unlike a lot of other found footage films, not one of the stories here was the least bit frightening. And as an anthology film it failed miserably as well, as the stories were all pretty much plotless without any good surprise endings which should be a staple for this type of flick. Recently reading a few members thoughts on the Tales from the Crypt series really made me appreciate that so much more, as even if the stories or acting weren't always the greatest, they at least would put a grin on my face with their endings. Apparently the sequel to this, S-VHS, is getting more praise. Even though this one was pretty much abysmal, I'll give the sequel a chance and hope for the best.

I give this one a 3.5/10, as the last story was at least worth a watch.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast

Last edited by spawningblue; 04-10-2013 at 07:27 PM.
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #21
Anaestheus
HackMaster

So, a good review on DVD Talk and the Halloween mood of October finally prompted me to watch this. I can certainly see why others would dislike it so much. The shaky cam is pretty significant, but that doesn't bother me at all. And, I'd say that I agree pretty much with dominant rankings here. 10/31/98 and The Sick Thing... are probably the best. With Amateur Night giving a good argument for beating out Sick Thing... for second place. Overall the whole thing feels like a bunch of pretty skilled filmmakers just kinda fucking around and if this had been presented as part of some sort of indie film festival, which is really how it feels, it probably would have been easier to enjoy. And, yeah, the wraparound is awful.

However, I'd still recommend it to people just because the whole project is such an interesting idea. Even though many of the stories don't work well and stretch some plausibility, it's really interesting to see how the different filmmakers tackle the idea. From that standpoint, I think The Sick Thing... and Second Honeymoon are big successes, even if the stories had flaws.

And, I would say that 10/31/98 is worth watching. Even though the idea of the guys walking into the house is really hard to believe, the characters are entertaining and believable. And the effects are pretty impressive.
Anaestheus is offline   Reply With Quote