Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 03-04-2013, 11:29 PM   #46
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shlockjock81 View Post
If you come on here just to go against the grain and 'challenge' others (aka cry for attention)
Clearly, a master of irony, you are.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:32 AM   #47
Cannibal Chris
Victim

Stores like FYE and Suncoast shut down possibly in part to the internet, but I think an even bigger reason was because their prices were easily squashed by places like Best Buy, Walmart, and Target. I think blaming the internet for everything a lot of those things is pushing it. A lot of smaller stores closed up shop not because of the internet, but because bigger stores (with better prices) expanded and stole their business.

Other places shut down because of business practices that were no longer working (or were bad from the beginning.)

Sure, you don't get to find a lot of the more "niche" titles in the stores anymore, and yeah, 10 years ago you likely *could* but 10 years ago you had companies like Anchor Bay, MGM, Image, and Blue Underground putting out tons of product. Now things are a lot different, most of those companies have changed drastically, because of the climate and the fact that people seem apprehensive to plop down money like they used to they no longer take chances. That, or they're just no longer interested in the genre.

I for one love amazon, I use websites like amazon, facebook, diabolik, and ebay just as much as I frequent Hastings, Best Buy, or random video/second hand stores.
Cannibal Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #48
DVD-fanatic-9
Tough Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shlockjock81 View Post
The Butt-hurt is strong in this one.
That's right- I've never heard of lube.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #49
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

The only types of stores I see being killed (in my area) is the movie and music side. Other businesses are doing quite well. Perhaps it's because I live in a rural area. But the absence of movie/music stores really piss me off. I wanted to buy some horror blu-rays the other day, went to a nearby metropolitan area to do so, and all the stores I used to frequent, no longer carry such items. Quite sad.
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #50
Cannibal Chris
Victim

Everyone relies on convenience today. It's just the direction technology is taking us. No one wants to carry around a big walkman with a 5 pound book of CD's, they also don't seem to want to waste time walking around a video store when they can rent things from home or spend 2 minutes in front of a redbox. No kids are sitting by the radio waiting/anticipating to hear "that one new song" so they can record it to their tape. Sadly, those days are long gone as is their patience.

Internet isn't really to blame, the internet is a wonderful thing, it's brought all of us together, how many of you can say that you had 15 people to discuss horror movies with in your actual day to day life outside of the internet. I'm sure some of you can say that you could, I can't though, when I go off on a film tangent around my friend some laugh, the others just kind of look at me weird.

My only one complaint about the internet is that it's made almost EVERYONE a hardcore critic. It seems people have forgotten how to sit back and enjoy something. Now they'd rather pick it apart and point out every single flaw. Now I'm not saying that every single movie is perfect and doesn't deserve some criticism, but there's a difference in that compared to what a lot of people do now, which is tear something down along with everyone that enjoys it.

Last edited by Cannibal Chris; 03-05-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Cannibal Chris is offline   Reply With Quote