Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 02-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #31
dave13
HackMaster

a "second installment" of I Spit on Your Grave? oh dear...
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:00 AM   #32
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
Oh yeah...I wonder if these will be eligable during Full Moon's various website sales? The Valentine's Day sale is usually half off + free shipping right?
Usually, so far no mention of free shipping this year. I don't think the VHS's will be available half off; at least this year. I actually got a Mephisto replica during last year's sale and it didn't arrive until that Halloween! It was still good though so I'm thinking about getting the SS chick this year. The description says she doesn't come with the SS hat though which really sells the outfit.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:28 AM   #33
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Interesting take from Paul @ VHSCollector (formerly SlasherIndex)

Charles Band surprises the collecting world with an announcement regarding the re-releases of the collectible Wizard Video library of big boxes! On the site WizardVideoCollection.com, Charles Band, in a video, gives his history with video distribution going as far back as the Meda Home Entertainment days in 1978! The history is pretty interesting to hear from the guy himself, but didn’t really give us any additional insight that we didn’t already know. But probably more interesting is the fact that, according to him, found tons of unused Wizard Video big box covers in boxes in a warehouse. Being the entrepreneur that Band is, he is reissuing these videos personally signed and numbered by him.

The video collecting community hasn’t seen anything of this scale before but I noticed a few things that got me wondering…

1) Where are all the other non-horror/exploitation/sleaze titles? If you look the list of films, they’re mostly horror/exploitation films. So did he only coincidentally find these sorts of genre film covers in his warehouse? Or is he only releases these sorts of genre films on VHS? Surely if he did have the non-horror/sleaze type films (Master Killers, Snake Hunter Strangler, Blood Brothers, etc) he’d release them since ALL Wizard titles are collectible, right? Or maybe he just made the whole thing up and had these things printed? This brings me to another concern.

2) I looked at the close up images of the big-box release of “Headless Eyes” and noticed that the cardboard used in that title is identical to the others he’s currently releasing. Any Wizard collector knows that Breeders, Dreamaniac, and Headless Eyes were originally made with a different cardboard stock than the others. They were cheap, “cereal box” type cardboard that would easily get banged up and damaged. Why are the ones Band is currently offering look much different if they’re truly originals found in a warehouse? I’m not really interested in purchasing these, but just to make the comparison, I will buy the Headless Eyes and Dreamaniac videos once they're available. The cardboard stock throughout Wizard’s history changed several times so if there is indeed something funny going on, we will know. Of course, I hope this is not the case. We will see!

3) Does Band even have the rights to re-distribute some of these films? Films like Fulci's Zombie and I Spit on Your Grave are popular films which have since been released by major distributors on DVD and Blu-Ray multiple times. I highly doubt that Band has any licensing rights for these films because if he had, he'd be milking them for all they're worth on his own DVD label. These are just the facts. Band has had a reputation in the past for illegally releasing films, such as the re-called Full Moon Puppet Master DVD box set many years ago.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #34
crikan
HackMaster

I know I'm the only person that feels this way, but I don't really care if these are reprints. I just want a pristine box with amazing artwork on my shelf.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #35
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

I want ZOMBIE and, although I hated the horrific pan and scan job, the picture quality gives the film a really nasty, creepy edge. The effects look better to me. The added resolution of DVD and Blu have ruined many of the effects by making them really obvious.
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #36
old-boo-radley
They stay the same age...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wago70 View Post
I want ZOMBIE and, although I hated the horrific pan and scan job, the picture quality gives the film a really nasty, creepy edge. The effects look better to me. The added resolution of DVD and Blu have ruined many of the effects by making them really obvious.
It's funny you say that; I had the Anchor Bay widescreen VHS for years until i go the Shriek Show DVD and the higher resolution changed the movie somewhat for me as well. The zombies tended to look rotten and dry instead of murky and wet from being undergroud. It's a minor detail, but after years of watching that tape, it was like entirely new monsters compared to what I'd interpreted images from the movie before I ever watched it and the tape I rewatched for years.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #37
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

For me, it's just you notice the make up appliances more. Same with Evil Dead.
I think I'll splurge on Zombie and I Spit on Your Grave.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #38
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wago70 View Post
For me, it's just you notice the make up appliances more. Same with Evil Dead.
I think I'll splurge on Zombie and I Spit on Your Grave.
So supporting inflatedly priced bootlegging, specifically with those titles which Band sure as shit doesn't have the rights to anymore (at least in the case of I SPIT).

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #39
Cannibal Chris
Victim

I'll likely buy Zombie, but I'll hold off until some reviews/comparisons come in after the first few waves. That is assuming the third and fourth waves get released. At the price point for that particular tape it's nice, but the legitimacy of everything really comes into play here...Is Band reallllly that lucky? We all know that guy has never took advantage of a situation like this right?

Am I supporting bootlegging and inflated prices? Honestly, considering I've bought a handful of foreign releases/hardboxes, I guess it wouldn't be the first time. I've got a super nice German edition of Cannibal Holocaust that suspiciously owes a lot to Grindhouse's US release. I just want the box, I used to rent that as a kid so there's certainly a nostalgia factor. Find me a r copy of the Wizard Zombie release that nice for that cheap and I'll fork over the money right now. As far as Band goes, I'm guessing this money will fund Puppet Master 15 or whatever sequel they're on, again, that's assuming he doesn't get sued because there's definitely some legality of these releases in question here.

I'm not some avid VHS junkie either, I've bought a handful of releases that I rented a child, some tapes that aren't available on dvd, and I buy a few of those limited releases along with the occasional Uneasy Archive tape.

For the record though, I don't trust Band as far as I can throw him and I wish he'd just sale the empty cartons at a cheaper price.

So I guess what I'm saying is there are lots of angles here. I'm not going to scoff at anyone buying every release. As I mentioned there's a good chance I will be purchasing one of the tapes. Will I be upset if this is all a sham and it doesn't take off past the first wave? Nope. I will however sit back and read all of the facebook/forum/twitter posts on the subject because this is a very entertaining topic.
Cannibal Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:27 PM   #40
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

I think if you look hard enough, you’d find a decent copy of Zombie for a reasonable price. Didn’t maybrick say he found one for a dollar at a flea market? Like I said, the convenience alone is worth half the cost of the price tag, and that Zombie box is a very nice box indeed. Its reaaaaaaaaal tempting to say the least. I might bite on that one myself…that one and Best of Sex and Violence.

I still see no mention of Force Video boxes. If Filmgore or White Slave mysteriously appear on a Wizard box, then we all know these are reprints.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:15 PM   #41
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorallySound View Post
So supporting inflatedly priced bootlegging, specifically with those titles which Band sure as shit doesn't have the rights to anymore (at least in the case of I SPIT).
I'd spend that much on Ebay for one not in as good condition. If someone has this available under better retail conditions, then I'm interested. The price is about what I would have paid back in the '80's anyway.
I bought Texas Chainsaw Massacre on Wizard VHS for $60 in 1983.

Last edited by wago70; 02-20-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:16 AM   #42
hellachris
Screamy Bopper

I've had decent luck finding VHS tapes, I've found a handful of Wizards, Media, Thriller Video, even a few Super Video tapes (albeit with the cases in shambles) but Zombie is one of two titles that has evaded me (Doctor Butcher and The Gates of Hell are the others). Now I don't mind the hunt, I've been in every rental place I can find in the nearest states, but I've all but given up on finding those three tapes in the wild. So with that said, being able to snag one at that price in the condition is certainly tempting.
hellachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:28 AM   #43
crikan
HackMaster

Great News! I don't have buyer's remorse yet.

The box is pristine. I have no interest in the tape inside so I'm reluctant to break the shrink wrap.

Here's a link to the front cover.

Last edited by crikan; 02-26-2013 at 03:36 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #44
crikan
HackMaster

So I was the only sucker on Horror Digital that bought one of these?
Old 03-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #45
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

When did that TROLL dvd get released? Only R1 dvd I recall is MGM's double feature disc.
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote