Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > Euro Horror

Old 03-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #16
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I heard a rumor (and by rumor, I mean a post on another forum, so to be taken with an extreme grain of salt) that Universal's ban on the film is supposed to lapse sometime in the near future. Not sure the exact date though.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:35 PM   #17
Jeremy
Closet SCREAM fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
I heard a rumor (and by rumor, I mean a post on another forum, so to be taken with an extreme grain of salt) that Universal's ban on the film is supposed to lapse sometime in the near future. Not sure the exact date though.
That's an interesting possibility. Frankly, I think there is a legitimately good chance that an American company could license and release THE LAST SHARK now and get away with it, Universal's acquiescence or not.

As long as I can remember on these forums, discussions about the politics surrounding this film's distribution have tended to assume that Universal was crouched like a tiger over the market, waiting to pounce the moment that Castellari's shark reared its plastic, growling head on home video. But that seems like an increasingly unrealistic notion. We're talking about a legal case that's thirty years old, and at the time it all went down, JAWS was still an active theatrical franchise.

I mean think of all the things that Universal's legal department deals with in a given week. Contractual disputes over talent issues, contractual disputes over distribution contracts, going after people who are downloading and seeding torrents of all their new movies, etc, etc, etc. Plus the fact that this happened thirty years ago means that everyone involved in the original case has probably either gone on to a new job, retired or died, and it wouldn't surprise me if the company's internal records from that time period have long since been shipped off for long term storage in a salt mine in Utah or somewhere.

Universal didn't do anything to stop the AWE disc release, and that came out how many years ago now? They didn't do anything to stop American importers from selling the AWE release and so far it doesn't appear that they have done anything to stop this bootleg edition.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #18
Jeremy
Closet SCREAM fan

Also, you can rent/stream/buy it on Amazon.com and nobody has put a stop to that either:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...amazonvideo-20
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #19
chancetx
Stalker

Has anyone received their copy yet? Preorders were supposed to get priority shipping but I haven't got mine yet. I just don't want to miss the Paypal window to dispute the charge if they don't deliver.
chancetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #20
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancetx View Post
Has anyone received their copy yet? Preorders were supposed to get priority shipping but I haven't got mine yet. I just don't want to miss the Paypal window to dispute the charge if they don't deliver.
I received mine in the mail yesterday from DiabolikDVD. I guess you ordered it direct though?

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #21
chancetx
Stalker

Yeah, I preordered direct from their website in January. Actually, it's been over 45 days which is Paypal's normal dispute window. I'll have to check if their policy is different in the case of preorders like this. Hopefully it will still show up.

What's the DVD like? Is it a real DVD as some websites promised or a burned one?
chancetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #22
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancetx View Post
Yeah, I preordered direct from their website in January. Actually, it's been over 45 days which is Paypal's normal dispute window. I'll have to check if their policy is different in the case of preorders like this. Hopefully it will still show up.

What's the DVD like? Is it a real DVD as some websites promised or a burned one?
It is a real factory pressed silver DVD. The transfer looks pretty good, it's 16x9 and progressive encoded...although I have nothing else to compare it to. There's about 4 or 5 trailers, a short featurette, some brief deleted scenes, and a stills gallery.

I would have thought these would be numbered, since it's supposedly limited to 500, but they're not.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #23
Stige
HackMaster

I assume this is the same transfer as the Scandinavian release?
Stige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #24
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stige View Post
I assume this is the same transfer as the Scandinavian release?
I have no idea. The film runs a little over 87 minutes on this DVD.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #25
Katatonia
Master of Doom

A belated review: http://www.avmaniacs.com/blog/2013/n...81-dvd-review/

Old 08-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #26
Dobby
HackMaster

I really wanted to like this movie but found it a complete borefest.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #27
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
Aside from a couple hilariously dizzying highs (the helicopter scene is riotous) I agree. This film should have been trashier. Had it been more consistently outrageous it might not seem like such a pale shadow of Jaws.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #28
MisterTwister
HackMaster

I enjoyed it
Old 08-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #29
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
Have to agree, but I'm glad it's available. Universal's "ban" on the film is ridiculous.

And to be fair, they should have just turned around and sued Universal for Jaws 3-D. If I remember, isn't there a scene in this with a bunch of people partying on a floating dock, and the shark splits the dock apart and knocks the people into the water? Pretty sure the exact same scene happens in Jaws 3-D.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:29 PM   #30
Drinkinstein
Stalker

LIMITED SPECIAL 35th ANNIVERSARY EDITION - Region Free (A, B, C) Blu-ray - ONLY 1000 PRESSED

COMING TO BLU-RAY MARCH 5th, 2015 from SHOCKING ENTERTAINMENT (JAPAN) in conjunction with RETROVISION ENTERTAINMENT, LLC (USA).

For the first time ever, THE LAST SHARK is available on Blu-ray for its 35th anniversary, remastered from the original negative stored in the film vaults in Italy. See this cult classic in beautiful 1080p! This definitive edition of THE LAST SHARK contains new exclusive special features, including a new HD scan of the original GREAT WHITE trailer, the only known remaining film elements of the Film Ventures International cut of the film. Also included is the newly expanded documentary GREAT WHITE: 30 YEARS LATER, featuring interviews with Brannon Carty, ED Tucker, and other LAST SHARK fanatics. This is a release not to be missed! Only 1000 Blu-rays will be pressed. Once they're gone, they're gone forever!

A teenage windsurfer is killed by a giant Great White shark in the coastal community of South Bay. Journalist Peter Benton (James Franciscus) and sea dog Ron Hammer (Vic Morrow) realize the truth, but the young Governor William Wells (Joshua Sinclair) dismisses the claim. Fearing that a canceled wind-surfing regatta will bring ruin to his political career, Wells has shark nets installed. However, the sounds of teenagers splashing in the surf leads the shark to rip through the nets causing havoc throughout the town. It is then up to Benton and Hammer to rid the bay of the shark menace.

Directed by Enzo G. Castellari.

Digitally Scanned, Restored, and Remastered from the ORIGINAL Negative
AVC-encoded HD 1080p Video
Uncut
1.85:1 Widescreen
Region Free
English 2.0 LPCM Audio
Japanese 2.0 LPCM Audio
GREAT WHITE TV Spot (SD)
Italian Theatrical Trailer (SD)
Original GREAT WHITE Theatrical Trailer (HD)
Photo Gallery (HD)
Deleted Scenes (SD)
GREAT WHITE: 30 Years Later - Expanded Documentary (HD)

Run Time - 88 mins.

Pre-orders are up now!

http://www.retrovisionfilms.com/products-blu-ray/
Drinkinstein is offline   Reply With Quote