Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 03-13-2013, 05:04 AM   #76
Korngold
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
Mine finally arrived today!!!!

I actually felt the opposite about the location in the remake. It's definitely colorful, but the beautiful renovated mansion they used wasn't the least bit creepy. And it wasn't Hull House, one of the major things that was sorely lacking from the remake.

Part 3 also used a different house, but it was still Hull House, and they do a decent job of creating that atmosphere. It's a pretty weak movie, but it has grown on me over the years.

I think the first two films flow extremely well together. But the humor in part 2 is undoubtedly much more overt than the first film.

Just curious about the NOTD series... are the rights tied up with different companies? That seems like a great film series for a company to pick and make a box set.

My DVDs
Korngold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:10 AM   #77
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korngold View Post
Just curious about the NOTD series... are the rights tied up with different companies? That seems like a great film series for a company to pick and make a box set.
The first one is actually with the original company that produced it, and the third is with Olive. There's a rumor flying around that part 3 is due out later this year.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #78
crikan
HackMaster

It's a shame the the sequels weren't paired together. #3 is dreadful but could use a decent release. Not sure it stands well on its own.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #79
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikan View Post
It's a shame the the sequels weren't paired together. #3 is dreadful but could use a decent release. Not sure it stands well on its own.
Well I suppose at this point, it's all gravy from here since 2 is out and 3 is coming. I'm sure fans will pick it up regardless - now the first one just needs a release and we're golden.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #80
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Olive has been releasing John Wayne films from the 1930s by themselves on blu-ray, a few of which clock in at under an hour.

So I don't think they're interested in double features.

I hope the Night Of The Demons 3 rumor is true.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #81
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
I hope the Night Of The Demons 3 rumor is true.
Think it'll be a bit before it's officially announced, but I heard from a very reliable source that it's happening.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #82
MisterTwister
HackMaster

So 3 is coming out in a new edition? YES!!!
Old 03-13-2013, 10:07 PM   #83
MisterTwister
HackMaster

The commentary track on the NOTD 2 disc is pretty interesting, especially when Brian Trenchard-Smith and the director of photography complain the transfer they are watching is too bright and make some digs at Olive (although I doubt the copy they were watching was Olive's final product)

My favorite comment, though? Ellen "Sister of John" Travolta auditioned for the role of Sister Gloria but was rejected by Republic because "the travolta name doesn't mean anything anymore"
Old 03-14-2013, 12:02 AM   #84
othervoice1
HackMaster

I would pick up # 3 - although it is pretty bad - but man I want the first one on blu!
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:54 AM   #85
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTwister View Post
The commentary track on the NOTD 2 disc is pretty interesting, especially when Brian Trenchard-Smith and the director of photography complain the transfer they are watching is too bright and make some digs at Olive (although I doubt the copy they were watching was Olive's final product)
What they were watching was and is the final product. DEMONS 2 is a very brightly lit film, the HD version brings that out a lot more than it should. You have to remember, these masters were done by Paramount, they weren't concerned with preserving atmosphere or anything like that - just bringing the best looking transfer out that they can.

There should have been some input by the DOP on this after they stated it was far too bright - some scenes look like they were shot during the day!

The first film is a bit darker in the new HD transfer with a slight blue hue over the night time scenes and it makes a huge difference over the bright transfer on the AB disc. It definitely gives the film a much creepier feel and look so it's obvious any of these films being a tad on the dark side certainly adds to them rather than retracts. Sure you loose some detail, but these films mostly take place at night in a house with no power and nothing but the moon flooding light in, being dark makes sense.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:32 AM   #86
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismac87 View Post
What they were watching was and is the final product. DEMONS 2 is a very brightly lit film, the HD version brings that out a lot more than it should. You have to remember, these masters were done by Paramount, they weren't concerned with preserving atmosphere or anything like that - just bringing the best looking transfer out that they can.

There should have been some input by the DOP on this after they stated it was far too bright - some scenes look like they were shot during the day!

The first film is a bit darker in the new HD transfer with a slight blue hue over the night time scenes and it makes a huge difference over the bright transfer on the AB disc. It definitely gives the film a much creepier feel and look so it's obvious any of these films being a tad on the dark side certainly adds to them rather than retracts. Sure you loose some detail, but these films mostly take place at night in a house with no power and nothing but the moon flooding light in, being dark makes sense.
Thanks for the info.

I agree the DOP should have been consulted on it but I can't really complain myself since I think it looks really good.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:37 AM   #87
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

My copy of NOTD2 arrived today! Looking forward to watching it again.

Part 3 is poo. I don't care for it.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:33 PM   #88
baggio
HackMaster

Anybody know if the picture is different amongst the two Monster Squad releases. Putting the special features aside, just talking about picture & sound quality only. Which is the better Blu, Lionsgate or Olive? Or are they the exact same transfer.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #89
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggio View Post
Anybody know if the picture is different amongst the two Monster Squad releases. Putting the special features aside, just talking about picture & sound quality only. Which is the better Blu, Lionsgate or Olive? Or are they the exact same transfer.
You have both reviews at blu-ray.com

Judge for yourself...
Old 05-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #90
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoni View Post
You have both reviews at blu-ray.com

Judge for yourself...
Thanks, I'll head over there & read the two reviews.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote