Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 03-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #31
Eddyw78
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
i held off on watching The Curse of Frankenstein for a while after getting it, after all the poor press it was getting. i was mistakenly under the impression that the 1.37:1 print was a cropping of the 1.85:1 print from the WB dvd, but that's not the case, I was happy to see. The color may be a little desaturated, and its by no means a sharp image, but to my eye it was a definite improvement over the image on the dvd, at least in terms of picture quality. as far as framing goes, i didn't grow up with these films, only discovering them later in life, so i don't have any established preference for the 1.85:1 version. seeing more picture at the top and sides on the 1.37:1 version just makes the film feel more open. in the scene that directly follows the credits, of the baron's tutor riding his horse through the mountains, the matt painting in the background of the baron's mansion is all but completely cut off in the 1.85:1 version. in the full-frame version, you can actually see the whole building. stuff like this makes the 1.37:1 image feel pretty...correct...to me. i dunno, after all the hulabaloo that surrounded this release, i'm surprised to find that i actually am pretty happy with the picture.
I totally agree with you. I am also pleased with the presentation of Curse and think the transfer is actually nice and filmic. Ok so its a little pale in terms of its colour palette but I found detail at times pleasing. The funeral scene outside the crypt looked gorgeous and the black levels in the later scenes were far better composed than the Warner DVD. I too chose the acadamy ratio as my preference as I found the 1.66:1 whether its correct or not to be very tight in the headroom department in a number of scenes. I recieved my Lionsgate Blu of the 1958 Hammer take on Dracula yesterday. Really looking forward to that one! I hope they then go on to do Hammer's Mummy from 1959. Then we can have all three of the original Hammer monster ficks in HD
Eddyw78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #32
buck135
The Duke of New York

Thanks dave13 and Eddyw78. I'll look to pick this up when it gets a bit cheaper. It's currently $35.00 not including shipping on Amazon.uk. Speaking of Amazon.uk and Hammer blu's, I'm still waiting for Dracula. I hope it gets here today.

Awesome! No sooner did I write this the post office truck pulled up with my copy of Dracula!

Last edited by buck135; 03-23-2013 at 04:54 PM.
buck135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #33
Eddyw78
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
Thanks dave13 and Eddyw78. I'll look to pick this up when it gets a bit cheaper. It's currently $35.00 not including shipping on Amazon.uk. Speaking of Amazon.uk and Hammer blu's, I'm still waiting for Dracula. I hope it gets here today.

Awesome! No sooner did I write this the post office truck pulled up with my copy of Dracula!
I bet i know what your watching this evening! Enjoy. I hope to have a look at my copy of Dracula also. As for Curse becoming cheaper its actually getting more pricey. A good 10 more than I paid for it on Amazon.co.uk a few months back.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #34
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:

damn you Americans and your Saturday mail! I was expecting mine to arrive yesterday, but no dice. Now I've got to wait until Monday (hopefully).
dave13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #35
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyw78 View Post
I bet i know what your watching this evening! Enjoy. I hope to have a look at my copy of Dracula also. As for Curse becoming cheaper its actually getting more pricey. A good 10 more than I paid for it on Amazon.co.uk a few months back.
Crap, you're going to make me order this. I'm halfway through Dracula. It looks the way it's supposed to look. Those that are fans of this and other Hammer films will be very pleased.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #36
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
damn you Americans and your Saturday mail! I was expecting mine to arrive yesterday, but no dice. Now I've got to wait until Monday (hopefully).
Well, we are supposed to lose Saturday deliveries with the exception of packages. Now my copy of Dracula arrived from Amazon.uk in an envelope (with no padding). I don't know if that qualifies as a package or not. The post office is strange. I ordered yet another Dawn of the Dead laserdisc which shipped a few days ago from the next state over and as of today it hasn't even left the state.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #37
Eddyw78
Stalker

Quote:
Well, we are supposed to lose Saturday deliveries with the exception of packages. Now my copy of Dracula arrived from Amazon.uk in an envelope (with no padding). I don't know if that qualifies as a package or not. The post office is strange. I ordered yet another Dawn of the Dead laserdisc which shipped a few days ago from the next state over and as of today it hasn't even left the state.
I've always had an issue with Amazon UKs packaging. Just a card packet with no protection. My Blu of Django got damaged because of this.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #38
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
I've always had an issue with Amazon UKs packaging. Just a card packet with no protection. My Blu of Django got damaged because of this.
I've been very lucky with Amazon.uk. I ordered the Trilogy of the Dead on DVD from a third party from the U.K. It's been two weeks since it shipped. Damn customs. I just finished watching Dracula. I'm very pleased with the filn and it's extras.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #39
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
I've never really had any issues with Amazon UK's packaging arriving with anything damaged, and I order from them quite a bit.

An order from them is actually late now though. It's been 31 days since it shipped, but I chatted with support yesterday and they're sending a replacement and even refunded me the original shipping charge.

It's no surprise that it was a larger/heavier package shipped by DHL Global though...they suck ass. Royal Mail is much faster to arrive to the states.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:13 PM   #40
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

DVD Beaver reviews Curse of Frankenstein: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-r...in_blu-ray.htm
satans-sadists is offline   Reply With Quote