Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 03-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #46
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattapooh View Post
Glad to see positive reviews for these!

Still going nuts for a Phantasm Blu, though. That's one of my must-haves.
Scream Factory just announced some kind of collection for Halloween, with a title that has never been released to blu. I'm holding off on Phantasm II just in case it's a Phantasm set they're talking about.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #47
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
Scream Factory just announced some kind of collection for Halloween, with a title that has never been released to blu. I'm holding off on Phantasm II just in case it's a Phantasm set they're talking about.
they did say A title that had never been on BD. If it were the phantasm series, there would be more than one title to fit that category.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #48
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
they did say A title that had never been on BD. If it were the phantasm series, there would be more than one title to fit that category.
That isn't exactly what they said. They said that one of them has been requested repeatedly (that would be the first Phantasm. The 3rd and 4th have been requested considerably less). The comment that it had also never been on blu ray seems only to be an afterthought. The others in the collection could still be considered new, just not as well loved.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:16 PM   #49
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Maybe I missed it, but can someone substantiate the claim on amazon.com that Phantasm II Blu-Ray is an edited version?
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #50
eric_angelus
Testacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropophagus View Post
Maybe I missed it, but can someone substantiate the claim on amazon.com that Phantasm II Blu-Ray is an edited version?
Thats just someone crying because it is the R Rated theatrical version (aka the only version ever legally released) that has always been available on all formats.
eric_angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:30 PM   #51
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_angelus View Post
Thats just someone crying because it is the R Rated theatrical version (aka the only version ever legally released) that has always been available on all formats.
Oh ok, thank you then, won't let it deter me from buying it eventually.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:45 PM   #52
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
I'd love for it to be true but they really shot themselves in the foot w/ their PII blu-ray if it is. Although the PII blu-ray has trailers for Phantasm I and III - they also specify that these releases will not be released by them.

I've heard some speculate it's an Amityville I-III boxset.

The Phantasm II blu-ray on its own is pretty sweet though - lots of special features!

Last edited by deepred; 03-27-2013 at 11:57 PM.
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #53
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

I watched the From Beyond BD this weekend…very pretty. Even on DVD the color scheme looked fantastic, but the neons really pop well in HD. It’s a really nice horror BD to have. The movie itself is awesome as everybody knows…I think I may even prefer From Beyond to Re-Animator…not sure entirely though, still holding off on buying it on BD. Extras are cool…I love listening to Band talk about Empire Pictures.

I really hope we see more Empire Pictures stuff from Shout!. I really want Mutant Hunt and Necropolis to at least receive admirable DVD releases. I know they both have pretty nice full screen transfers available on Netflix…I think Necropolis might have even aired on MGMHD. So hopefully its in the works.

I also watched the Phantasm II BD. This one I didn’t enjoy as much as I did when I first saw it. The transfer looked fine to me, but then again I’m not going to be that picky when it comes to films in the same caliber range as Phantasm II. If DNR was used, I didn’t even pay attention to notice it.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #54
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Pretty comprehensive review of PHANTASM II at DVD Drive-In:

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/n...asmIIblu88.htm
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #55
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

And a belated FROM BEYOND review (but it's a good one):

http://dvddrive-in.com/reviews/e-h/frombeyond86blu.htm
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:23 AM   #56
Zollman
Victim

Buzz is accumulating that Phantasm II is an Upscale.

Kentai seems to think so.

http://www.kentaiblo...6e9be7310ba856c

Caps-A-Holic seems to corroborate that viewpoint.

http://caps-a-holic....on.php?cID=1675

How is this possible?
Zollman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #57
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zollman View Post
Buzz is accumulating that Phantasm II is an Upscale.

Kentai seems to think so.

http://www.kentaiblo...6e9be7310ba856c

Caps-A-Holic seems to corroborate that viewpoint.

http://caps-a-holic....on.php?cID=1675

How is this possible?
Your links appear abbreviated and do not work. Here are the working links:

http://www.kentaiblog.com/2013/05/phantamsagorier.html

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleich...n.php?cID=1675

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado

Last edited by MorallySound; 05-08-2013 at 05:26 PM.
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #58
Jimmy S
Stalker

Couldn't care less about what a blogger can wrote when I read that:

" I don't own Scream Factory's new Special Edition Blu-ray release of PHANTASM II. I've actually never seen the sequels to Phantasm"

"I really can't comment on the disc proper, and as such you should take anything I have to say as the word of a casual observer looking at other people's examples."

Random screen capture posted on whatever forum prove nothing. You must see by yourself to know how something look, it's easy to show whatever you want to show if your setting is badly adjusted. Anyway looking at the random forum captures the blu-ray look better (as usual AB had used a blue filter on the DVD)...
Jimmy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #59
JeffCostello
Stalker

Just (finally) watched my Phantasm II blue. Sad to say but this one really didn't hold up to my teen eyes. Even my wife who I have to use all my diplomatic skills on to watch horror movies because she is so easily scared thought this was a silly mess.
JeffCostello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #60
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Not trying to stir up trouble or cry afoul on the Phantasm II release. Overall, I thought it was a great disc. The extras were far more entertaining than the film itself. I spent probably two hours watching the extras and I still didn't make it through them all. There's way more on there than what's listed on the case.

But... did anyone else notice what looked like tracking lines at the top of the frame? They would peek in occasionally throughout the movie, it was pretty hard to miss. Not overly obtrusive or distracting, but definitely noticeable.

Obviously they weren't "tracking lines" per se, but that's the only way I knew how to describe them. It's definitely what it looked like.

It was definitely part of the transfer, so it's not a faulty disc or anything. Did anyone else see this?
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote