Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 03-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #31
Mikey Horror
Maniac

Still hard to tell if I'll like it or not. I'll hold off and get it used from Game Stop. They give you 7 days with it in which you can still get your money back so I think I'll go that route.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #32
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

No official reviews yet, but I've been reading a few user reviews, which I trust more anyways... Looks like the game might be about average...at least they say its better than Colonial Marines.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/67646...tinct/65709409
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #33
fceurich39
HackMaster

wow check this video out it has fallout 3 rpg elements and stuff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXDGZ0vgzSc
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:40 PM   #34
Mikey Horror
Maniac

Those graphics look bland to me. hardly any detail at all. Bear in mind I just finished the new Tomb Raider which has some of the most amazing graphics I've seen to date. *sigh*, My wait for and open world Fallout type zombie apocalypse RPG continues.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:30 AM   #35
fceurich39
HackMaster

yep i got it today with the cool little walker ear keychain and am having a blast playing it so much fun yes the graphics arent great but everything else is
Old 03-20-2013, 01:55 AM   #36
Mikey Horror
Maniac

I'll save my money and get State of Decay instead whenever that decides to come out.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:35 AM   #37
Chomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by fceurich39 View Post
yep i got it today with the cool little walker ear keychain and am having a blast playing it so much fun yes the graphics arent great but everything else is
Whoa....where did you get the keychain?

My copy should be on my doorstep. Probably won't play it till Friday night when I get a couple of brews and people over. Should be cool.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:39 AM   #38
fceurich39
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
Whoa....where did you get the keychain?

My copy should be on my doorstep. Probably won't play it till Friday night when I get a couple of brews and people over. Should be cool.
gamestop if u pre ordered and also the herd mode dlc that is available to every one in mid april
Old 03-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #39
Mok
Helena Harper

I got the dlc from gamestop but no keychain.
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:23 AM   #40
fceurich39
HackMaster

here is a positive review from dread central http://www.dreadcentral.com/reviews/...nct-video-game
Old 03-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #41
Mok
Helena Harper

I played this for like 5 minutes last night. Herd Mode. It's waves of zombies coming at you while you scavenge for weapons. I was impressed with the graphics considering I'd heard they were terrible. Zombies aren't easy to kill with a knife. It reminds me a lot of Dead Island only it's far more difficult to kill the zombies. I only jumped on for a sec before Coronation Street came on.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #42
Mok
Helena Harper

I completed this over the weekend. It took me probably only 5 or 6 hours. That is short by most game standards, but in this case, it felt appropriate. The game didn't wear out it's welcome and although I was left wanting more, There was still herd mode to spend some time on. There were 3 (maybe 4) instances in the game where you could pick between two levels (towns/locations to travel to). So another play-through would be needed to see everything.

It's an addictive game. By the end of it, you'll have become a seasoned zombie-killer ready to infiltrate zombie-filled locations like the characters in the show. The game succeeds brilliantly at achieving the right feeling. You have to watch your ass, constantly. Think you cleared out that alley you want to back into as a bunch of zombies bears down on you? You can guarantee there will be one fucker that wondered-in behind you to ruin your shit (they generate sparingly). You respect the dead. There is no room for Rambo in this game. Sure there will be moments where you have to dish it out with a shotgun. But that's only because you really have to. More than one zombie means you're probably going to want to use a gun, so you have to be smart because you learn quickly that ammo is a scarce asset (although by the end of the game, I had a few guns I never used). Some levels I pretty much didn't see half of what they have to offer because I was out of ammo and there were just too many zombies out to explore it all.

There are other aspects of the survival feel that work to some extent, but not as solidly as the actual game play. You can help people throughout the game and some you can bring along with you. They can scavenge (off camera) during the levels. Their success depends on how many survivors you assign, what weapon they prefer and their health. You'll actually welcome their help because not only can they provide extra ammo, but you'll also need gas (to travel from level to level) and food (to heal) to survive. There are mini-levels in between the primary ones where you can go scavenge yourself. These levels add a nice random encounter aspect to the game although they can repeat from time to time which does take something away.

Norman Reedus and Michael Rooker's voice acting is awesome. If you like them in the show, you'll like them here. You get some insight into how things unfolded when the zombie outbreak first hit them.

One thing that bothered me was that some doors can be opened, some not. Why not show them boarded up? And I guess I've been trained that in video games, you should be gaining levels through experience. Here there is no reward aside from staying alive, in killing the zombies. Maybe that makes it more real? I guess that's up for debate.

I'd venture to say this is one of the better zombie games out there, even though I'm probably in the minority on that one. It gets the nuances of zombie survival nearly perfect - at least as far as what TV and film has taught me. It's fun to explore the levels and find resources and collectables and it's fun to kill zombies, especially when shit hits the fan. There is a real sense of horror in it, so much so, my wife enjoyed watching me play and was hoping I'd start it again when I was done.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #43
Chomp

I played about an hour of this, and killing zombies already seems tedious. Seriously, 4 machete wacks to the head to take down a zombie? I thought you were going to be able to hack the limbs off the zombies? I’m sitting there hacking away on a zombie’s legs for 5min straight, and it did nothing. What the hell? Headshots are fun though…but only useful when you are in a confined space without a lot of zombies to pop out from, otherwise you’re going to get swarmed.

The voice acting is probably the best part of the game…Michael Rooker’s performance as Merle is every bit as entertaining as the show.

Man, all I asked was for this to be at least as entertaining as Dead Island, which isn’t a perfect game by ANY means. But killing zombies isn’t even fun. In Dead Island I wouldn’t even do any missions in that game…I’d just walk up and down the beach chopping zombie’s heads off as they’d run towards. I couldn’t get enough of it. In the Walking Dead game, it’s like they want you to stay away from the zombies. Which I guess is the point, but where is the fun in that?
Old 03-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #44
Mok
Helena Harper

I found the key is executions. Bumper-push the zombie to knock it off balance, circle, stab. Once you get Daryl's crossbow, it's a whole different story.

I forgot to mention the soundtrack. Really amazing. Film quality and creepy.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #45
fceurich39
HackMaster

I like this game more than the 2 left 4 dead games which I bought for single player which in those game were made for multiplayer also I liked it more than dead island the buggest/glitchiest game I have ever played!!!

but they did rush the game and now I can see why after last night's emotional episode of the tv show!!! it would be awesome if Merle side story dlc comes out!