Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 03-23-2007, 04:53 PM   #31
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

Good news from Coscarelli! Nice to see that, unlike some of the more commercially successful horror directors who came out of the 70s (you know who you are!), Don is actually looking at his films as pieces of art that he created and that should stand the test of time instead of a cash cow that can/should be sold-out. I wish more franchise owners were filmmakers instead of businessmen.

Cinema has gone soulless. Keep up the good fight, Don!!!

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:13 PM   #32
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Breck View Post
Good news from Coscarelli! Nice to see that, unlike some of the more commercially successful horror directors who came out of the 70s (you know who you are!), Don is actually looking at his films as pieces of art that he created and that should stand the test of time instead of a cash cow that can/should be sold-out. I wish more franchise owners were filmmakers instead of businessmen.

Cinema has gone soulless. Keep up the good fight, Don!!!
I salute Coscarelli's stance. He obviously doesn't think like John Carpenter these days.
satans-sadists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:47 AM   #33
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

They could always get Kane to play the tall man.
17thJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:53 AM   #34
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thJuggalo View Post
They could always get Kane to play the tall man.
Michael Caine would do a better job playing The Tall Man than Kane!
satans-sadists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:40 AM   #35
Katatonia
Master of Doom

I just rewatched the entire Phantasm series recently, and I'm dying for a fifth film!

I'm glad that the chances of a remake are nil, it's utterly pointless!!!

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:29 PM   #36
Peter Vincent

The word about Bruce Campbell being on board...I'll believe it when I see it.

I got ragged on by him when I asked him during a Q&A here in Tampa...asked him if he was in the next Phantasm and he was like "where did U hear that?" and like a dumbass, the only word I can say was "the internet"...I forgot what he said after that, but he pretty much let me have it & had the audience rolling!

Still, I'm down with a new trilogy. So R we talking whole new cast here? Liek a "remake" trilogy or what? Not that I DON'T want the original cast back (Angus Scrimm is the Tall Man...PERIOD), I'm just saying, it isn't very "Hollywood" of New Line to have a full cast of what is considered by many to be "B" movie actors.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:58 PM   #37
DEADCHRIST

No No No No No
Old 03-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #38
deepred
Maniac

2013 and no Phantasm V - I say bring on the remake w/ Don Coscarelli helming it. I miss the Phantasm world and think it's a fun series that deserves a long overdue comeback.

For those complaining about a remake - doesn't the series already remake itself?

Phantasm I - story of a boy and the going-ons of a cemetery/mausoleum
Phantasm II - 1st was a dream but wait it is happening, here is a girl and the going-ons of a cemetery/mausoleum
Phantasm III - might as well hit restart again, the lead girl of the second one and the idea of others being linked to tall man is aborted, Timmy plays a reimagined Mike character, identical scenarios of I and II are repeated and a dash of brains in spheres and possible previous life connection of Mike/Tall Man
Phantasm IV - Further explores the Mike/Tall Man relationship while Reg plays out the II-III scenario over again.

Their biggest hurdle will be recasting Angus though. I think it CAN be done but a lot of these remakes cast actors that make you wonder what were they thinking?! Please do not cast Jackie Earle Haley as the Tall Man regardless of how GOOD of an actor he is or how creepy he was in Little Children. I've heard people throw out Bill Nighy as a alternate actor for the Tall Man which I thought could be interesting.
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #39
Steel76
Maniac

Yeah, by this point Iīll rather see a reboot of some kind, as itīs too late for a part 5, just as with Ghostbusters 3, Evil Dead 4 and lots of other movies that have been promised sequels for decades now.

To be honest, Phantasm part 3 and 4 was pretty disappointing for me.
And I just donīt understand why he left a cliffhanger at the end of part 4, when it was supposed to be the last one. They should just have defeated Tall Man at the end.

Coscarelli should stay behind the directorīs chair, but do something fresh and different with the Phantasm universe, but keep the core of it...And of course the balls
Old 03-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #40
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepred View Post
Their biggest hurdle will be recasting Angus though. I think it CAN be done but a lot of these remakes cast actors that make you wonder what were they thinking?! Please do not cast Jackie Earle Haley as the Tall Man regardless of how GOOD of an actor he is or how creepy he was in Little Children. I've heard people throw out Bill Nighy as a alternate actor for the Tall Man which I thought could be interesting.
My vote goes to Julian Richings. Not exactly a household name, virtually an unknown, but well liked by many fans of Supernatural as the living embodiment of Death.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #41
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
My vote goes to Julian Richings. Not exactly a household name, virtually an unknown, but well liked by many fans of Supernatural as the living embodiment of Death.
I've never watched Supernatural (maybe I should check it out?) but I looked him up on IMDB and he has a neat otherwordly appearance that I think would definitely work.

I wish modern horror movies cast unknowns more often.
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:00 AM   #42
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepred View Post
I've never watched Supernatural (maybe I should check it out?) but I looked him up on IMDB and he has a neat otherwordly appearance that I think would definitely work.

I wish modern horror movies cast unknowns more often.
I'd definitely check out Supernatural and I'm sure many on this board would agree. The only things that betray it are that lack of a budget for some of it's concepts, and the occasional lackluster episode, but it has a lot of the same mixture of horror and humor that made Buffy the Vampire Slayer the cult show it was.

The thing that I like about Julian Richings is that just like Angus Scrimm he has the ability to be menacing yet strangely still likeable. He's very talented.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:15 AM   #43
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel76 View Post
And I just donīt understand why he left a cliffhanger at the end of part 4, when it was supposed to be the last one. They should just have defeated Tall Man at the end.
No offense intended, but that opinion pretty much betrays that you don't quite get the central conceit of Phantasm. The series is meant to be ethereal like a dream, where things don't make a whole lot of sense. Things begin, end, begin again, people die then come back. Some characters disappear seemingly from existence, then reappear as if they never left. Michael's face changes for an entire film! You never are really supposed to know what's up or down because ultimately none of that really matters. It's all about the atmosphere. And just like a dream, it ends unexpectedly. How Coscarelli finished it was absolutely perfect. The Tall Man wasn't defeated because The Tall Man CAN'T be defeated. He's a pan dimensional being and if you manage to destroy one of his bodies then an alternate version of The Tall Man comes through the Gate. Trying to win against him is a futile act. The only thing you can do is hope to wake up from the nightmare.

Last edited by maybrick; 03-28-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:29 AM   #44
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
My vote goes to Julian Richings. Not exactly a household name, virtually an unknown
I wanted him to be Ichabod Crane after seeing him in Urban Legend. Now, of course, he's too old to ever be Ichy. But... I can't believe he's not a horror legend yet. He's got all the makings of a horror icon.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote