Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 03-28-2013, 04:48 AM   #2161
DVD-fanatic-9
Tough Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated Prey View Post
No one said animation doesn't deserve respect or a space here, that's not this gripe is about. It's about shows geared towards ages 8 and younger.
Uh... my whole point is that the show has been hailed as breaking boundaries of pandering to age and gender demographics. This has happened. It's a thing. The majority does not agree with you that the show is just for children. The majority in fact believes it was made for a much wider audience and it has a very large heterosexual male fanbase.

And SpongeBob is friggin' genius. When was the last time you actually watched that show? Literally over 80% of the time the humor is geared towards a more mature audience. It's downright existential a great portion of the time. After The Simpsons, it is likely the most intelligent animated program to come down the pike. Even in its weaker seasons (4 and after), it still manages to come up with something that makes me grab my head and say: "how did they come up with that?!" (Latest example, since I'm re-watching the show: Season 4's "Chimps Ahoy," specifically the gag dealing with Sandy's nut-related inventions.) It's comedy royalty. It's in the history books. It's a classic. Case closed.

Quote:
Remember, this is not what My Little Pony is about fellas
For some reason, that reminds me of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk9z1Emv0kQ

Don't know why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Crist View Post
Doesn't E.G. Daily do one of the voices for POWERPUFF GIRLS? What more could you want?
Yes, she's Buttercup, the green one with black hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
Plus, it's created by Lauren Faust, wife of Powerpuff Girls, Foster's, and (coming soon to airwaves) Wander Over Yonder creator Craig McCracken.

Thanks for standing by me. You know, I'm a big fan of animation myself (including Spongebob).
You got it.

I actually haven't seen a lot of animated shows over the decades. Like a lot of kids of the 90's, I did Disney afternoon and Nickelodeon for a while. But I fell out of being really into it when Aah! Real Monsters and Hey Arnold! debuted. Then Disney started doing Aladdin, Lion King, and Little Mermaid as series and I didn't watch any of them. Then Recess, Pepper Ann (?), Wild Thornburys, and All Grown Up were farmed out to ABC (?) and I lost all interest. But I did start watching SpongeBob and was impressed enough to get into Fairly Odd Parents for a short while. That show definitely had its' moments of brilliance (especially the gags mocking the FCC) but it went really deep into recurring characters they invented in their own universe. You couldn't just walk in fresh and start enjoying it- you had to know who Chip and Veronica, etc, were and what had happened to them X-many episodes ago even though this carried no dramatic weight. But some of the jokes were killers.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:39 AM   #2162
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
Uh... my whole point is that the show has been hailed as breaking boundaries of pandering to age and gender demographics. This has happened. It's a thing. The majority does not agree with you that the show is just for children. The majority in fact believes it was made for a much wider audience and it has a very large heterosexual male fanbase.
Where are you getting these stats Guy? Large hetero male fan base? Cmon, how old are they, 5 and younger? I don't believe that for a second. I don't care what happens outside this site. I'm talking about this particular thread. And as for my question about where you are getting the stats - I actually don't want to know to be honest. Sounds weird and scary.

Quote:
And SpongeBob is friggin' genius. When was the last time you actually watched that show? Literally over 80% of the time the humor is geared towards a more mature audience. It's downright existential a great portion of the time. After The Simpsons, it is likely the most intelligent animated program to come down the pike. Even in its weaker seasons (4 and after), it still manages to come up with something that makes me grab my head and say: "how did they come up with that?!" (Latest example, since I'm re-watching the show: Season 4's "Chimps Ahoy," specifically the gag dealing with Sandy's nut-related inventions.) It's comedy royalty. It's in the history books. It's a classic. Case closed.
Alright, settle down Crabby Patty. No one is ragging on SpongeBob. While both shows are for children (not saying adults can't enjoy it) I can respect that SpongeBob is actually trying to be comedic and silly. However, My Little Pony has got to be like watching the Snuggle Fabric Softener Bear giggle and go lala for 30 min - kill me now. Don't give me that case closed crap Horror Digital's "Mr. Answer to a Question No One Asked."

Quote:
For some reason, that reminds me of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk9z1Emv0kQ

Don't know why.
Yikes!
I was actually thinking of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icIwKaci3MI

Here is a much cooler avatar for you...
Old 03-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #2163
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Spongebob is indeed great. No argument there.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #2164
DVD-fanatic-9
Tough Lover

^

Quote:
Where are you getting these stats Guy? Large hetero male fan base? Cmon, how old are they, 5 and younger?
Well, you asked for it: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1196695.html (it's not complete until you watch the video)

Here's a tip: When I say "it's a thing" and "it's happened," take my word for it.

Quote:
I don't believe that for a second.
That's right. People usually mount conventions over things that don't exist.

It's good for business.

Quote:
Alright, settle down Crabby Patty. No one is ragging on SpongeBob. While both shows are for children (not saying adults can't enjoy it) I can respect that SpongeBob is actually trying to be comedic and silly.
You're not really going to get away with that. The show has been designed to take the humor and writing into broader, meta, existential, and intellectual territories under the guise of simplistic storylines. You might not want to accept that, but it's like trying to say you don't have to pay taxes if you're not a billionaire. Wishful thinking will not stop a moving train.

As for Friendship is Magic, shockingly, I don't really care either. I haven't seen the show yet and might not even like it. But I do consider it inspiring to see adults actually think the show is good for children to watch and think it's a positive thing in our culture to see something defended as breaking boundaries and bucking expectation. Much as I may have nostalgia for the stuff I grew up with (should I actually try and watch it again), I don't really see many scholars praising animated series like Muppet Babies, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Tail Spin, EEK! The Cat, Biker Mice from Mars, Rude Dog and the Dweebs for being intentionally written so a wider age range can instantly enjoy it guiltlessly.

On that note, when was the last time anyone here sat down for Garfield & Friends? When I watched the bonus features on the Animaniacs collections, they made a point to criticize the state of television at the time they made the show because apparently, parents were arguing all over the place that the shows had no educational value... I thought it was bullshit because this is kinda why they invented PBS (decades ago). And Disney had shows like Under the Umbrella Tree and Nickelodeon had stuff like Eureka's Castle. Even by episode 3 or 4, the Power Rangers were shoving uplifting messages down kids' throats. And that didn't stop 200 or so more episodes down the pike. And, of course, the original purple menace himself: Barney! G&F did a whole episode about it with Binky the Clown being fired because throwing pies wasn't a morally redeeming act.

Quote:
Yikes!
I was actually thinking of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icIwKaci3MI
I'm not impressed.

Now, if they'd played Donna Summer over the stereo system we'd be in business.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #2165
MorallySound
There is no magic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohnuyqJyEW0

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:49 PM   #2166
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Quote:
Well, you asked for it: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1196695.html (it's not complete until you watch the video)

Here's a tip: When I say "it's a thing" and "it's happened," take my word for it.

That's right. People usually mount conventions over things that don't exist.

It's good for business.
Bronies? LOL. That is the saddest thing I have ever seen. If those doods are not gay, then they are asexual. I stand by my thoughts.

Mmmmmm kay. Yeah, that guy is straight.

Quote:
You're not really going to get away with that. The show has been designed to take the humor and writing into broader, meta, existential, and intellectual territories under the guise of simplistic storylines. You might not want to accept that, but it's like trying to say you don't have to pay taxes if you're not a billionaire. Wishful thinking will not stop a moving train.
It's a children's show my Brony friend. Doesn't mean you can't like it, nor does it mean just cause you may find it intellectual others will agree.

Back to the main point, now that you're out of the closet on so many fun little shows, I really think you guys should start you're own thread for "Shout! Adolescents" or "Shout! Animation" or something of that nature to make this site easier to search certain topics (I'm being serious, not trying to poke fun - I love animation, don't get me wrong). Digging through pages of the crap we're taking about right now is annoying. When you go to "HorrorDigital" and you see a simple thread called "Upcoming Shout! Releases" or whatever I would assume most folks are not expecting to read about Muppet Babies and shit
Old 03-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #2167
DVD-fanatic-9
Tough Lover

Get out of the cave, man. Oh, and... you've never seen this documentary, have you?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsqtJOHLiYc

Good video, Morally!

Last edited by DVD-fanatic-9; 03-28-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #2168
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorallySound View Post
1:36 - 1:44

Quote:
I was just sitting here...I was just living day to day. I didn't really have anything to look forward to. As soon as Ponies came into my life, I was like "Wow, I never want this day to end."
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #2169
DVD-fanatic-9
Tough Lover

As much as that did make me almost want to laugh, you do have to admit things fucking still suck in the world. The economy is still close to the brink of collapse, politicians are still working overtime to rob us of all our civil rights, and entertainment and commercial culture hasn't slowed in bringing the oncoming Idiocracy (as Movie 43 - the new incarnation of Epic Movie and that ilk - proves). You have to put this kind of thing in context.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #2170
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Quote:
Get out of the cave, man. Oh, and... you've never seen this documentary, have you?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsqtJOHLiYc
What Cave yo?

Great clip. "Dear Mr. Campbell - I think I need to get a life. I am mailing a non-popular actor about a non-popular movie."

I think it's great that all folks can have a hobby, or find their "thing" if you will. Whatever makes you happy and gets your through the day. You Ja-Brony
Old 03-28-2013, 11:51 PM   #2171
X-human
I ate my keys

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:57 PM   #2172
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Are you a Broney Homey?
Old 03-29-2013, 12:51 AM   #2173
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:11 AM   #2174
DVD-fanatic-9
Tough Lover

Very illuminating, Chomp.

Really.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:31 AM   #2175
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Please DVD-fantatic…tell me more about the coming of age effect My Little Pony has on sad and pathetic individuals who still live in their parent’s basement. It’s all very intriguing.

I don’t mind the My Little Pony DVD updates, but I think the whole pony talk has gotten a little out of hand.

Somebody start talking about Cropsy killing hookers.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote