Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 04-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #16
Darga
Narcissistic Personality

De Niro in "Angel Heart" popped into my head first.

I've never seen either "Legend" or "The Prophecy" but it sounds like maybe I should check 'em out.
Darga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:29 AM   #17
Anaestheus
HackMaster

Peter Cook in Bedazzled is probably my favorite. I like the pettiness of the whole thing. And his monologue about how he "fell" is great. But, mainly, I like the idea that he is really motivated by his love of God and desire to win back God's favor. For a film that is as silly as it is, it's a pretty complicated look at the whole role of evil and problem of free will.

Most of my other favorites have already been mentioned.

Curry and the make-up in "Legend" is probably the best visual representation. "Haxan" and whoever was in the goat mask in "Devil Rides Out" get serious nods as well.

Performance wise, yeah, Mortensen in "Prophecy" is pretty awesome. I too am fond of Savalas in "Lisa and the Devil"

I've also really liked Peter Stormare in "Constantine" - a very underrated film.

And Ray Wise made a pretty awesome Satan in "Reaper"

Was suitably less impressed with Pacino and Nicholson in their respective films. They all struck me as just a bit too human.
Anaestheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:35 AM   #18
Anaestheus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darga View Post
I've never seen either "Legend" or "The Prophecy" but it sounds like maybe I should check 'em out.
Legend - well worth checking out. There are two versions available. The theatrical is shorter and has music by Tangerine Dream. The director's cut is about 20 minutes longer and has a score my Jerry Goldsmith. I'm in the minority that think the score by Tangerine Dream is better. But, I'd still recommend watching the director's cut. The extra scenes flesh out a couple of moral issues a lot better.

Prophecy - the film itself is probably a bit weak. But, man, the mythology and world of the whole thing is great. So many interesting ideas floating in the background of this one, that it should be highly recommended to anyone who has an interest in "biblical horror" or even a remote interest just in theology.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:45 AM   #19
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

Ron Jeremy as Satan in Devil in Miss Jones 2. LOL Actually, I would have to go with Tim Curry in Legend. He scared the shit out of me when I was a kid.
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:02 AM   #20
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaestheus View Post
I've also really liked Peter Stormare in "Constantine" - a very underrated film.
Not to go off topic, but how is it underrated? The movie resembles NOTHING of its source material…in fact, it’s almost as if it’s creators never once opened a Hellblazer comic upon its production. It’s a visually appealing film sure, with one or two OK performances, but other than that,… not good. Plus it has Shia LeBeouf in it…no thanks.

They should have just called it a Prophecy remake and been done with it.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:45 AM   #21
allmessedup
It's beer time.

I like the more comic ones...Gael Garcia Bernal in DON'T TEMPT ME [the English title]
and also Danny Elfman in FORBIDDEN ZONE.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:02 AM   #22
Anaestheus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
Not to go off topic, but how is it underrated? The movie resembles NOTHING of its source material…in fact, it’s almost as if it’s creators never once opened a Hellblazer comic upon its production.
I do wholly agree with that. And, I'll admit that I really didn't care that much for the film when it first came out. But, I've grown to distance the film from the source material and have really started to like it a lot more.

Yeah, Keanu is really miscast. (I know that Constantine is supposed to look like Sting, but I always that that Gabriel Byrne would have been a perfect choice) But, I will stand by the statement that it is one of Keanu's better performances, limited as that may be.

Things I liked: The supporting cast is immensely interesting. The pacing is actually really really good. It's faint praise, but the film really knows when to just quiet down a bit and take some time with the story. And, much like Prophecy, the world is pretty well fleshed out and interesting. And, yeah, the visuals are wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
They should have just called it a Prophecy remake and been done with it.
That probably would have been a much better approach.

I'm certainly not holding it up as some neglected gem. I just think it's a lot better than its reputation. I certainly think it's better than Devil's Advocate or any of the Matrix sequels, compared for obvious reasons.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:30 AM   #23
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

Definitely Tim Curry in Legend. That was the first thing that came to my mind.

He wasn't technically "The Devil" per se, but close enough.

Katatonia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:25 AM   #24
Erick H.
HackMaster

Nicholson in WITCHES OF EASTWICK is a lot of fun as is Von Sydow in NEEDFUL THINGS.ANGEL HEART is rather chilling.Tim Curry is probably the coolest looking evil one yet and I too appreciate Hammer's goat headed Satan in THE DEVIL RIDES OUT.Perhaps one of the creepiest to me though is the brief,dreamy "rape'' commiting Devil in ROSEMARY'S BABY,which was simply star John Cassavettes in a bit of makeup.The nightmarish quality really seels it .
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:37 AM   #25
X-human
I ate my keys

Tom Waits is surprisingly good in The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus and is probably closest to how I'd imagine the devil would be if you bumped into him on the street. The play between him and Christopher Plummer is the most redeeming thing about that film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
Danny Elfman in Forbidden Zone?
YES! I'd forgotten that, which is idiotic of me as I often play his song.

I love the old school red tights and devil horns stereotype. The ultimate culmination of that has to be Pitch from the Mexican Santa Claus. Old Nick in a battle of wits with St. Nick? It doesn't get any better than that for me.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #26
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaestheus View Post
Yeah, Keanu is really miscast. (I know that Constantine is supposed to look like Sting, but I always that that Gabriel Byrne would have been a perfect choice) But, I will stand by the statement that it is one of Keanu's better performances, limited as that may be.
Which is funny because Gabriel Byrne was the devil in End of Days. His performance was pretty good too.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #27
ImmortalSlasher
Stalker

The Ninth Gate.
Spoiler:
I'm not sure if Emmanuelle Seigner is supposed to be The Devil or his guardian. I need to watch the movie a few more times. Each time I see something different.

Last edited by ImmortalSlasher; 04-06-2013 at 12:06 PM.
ImmortalSlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #28
Erick H.
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
Emmanuelle Seigner in The Ninth Gate. Although, I'm not sure if she's supposed to be The Devil or his guardian. I need to watch the movie a few more times. Each time I see something different.
I think that movie is underrated,has a bit of an Argento vibe to it.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #29
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Spoiler:
Emmanuelle Seigner
in The Ninth Gate.
Spoiler:
Although, I'm not sure if she's supposed to be The Devil or his guardian.
I need to watch the movie a few more times. Each time I see something different.
Yes, I always supposed
Spoiler:
she probably was based on the reveal.
And come to think of that this is a bit of a spoiler... So if you could edit your post with [ spoiler ] your words inbetween [ /spoiler ] with all the spaces taken out between the spoiler brackets that'd be appreciated by more than one on here I'm sure.

That reminds me that Dark Angel: The Ascent is rather good addition to the discussion too. The ladies love it so I found it to be a good way to expose them to b grade horror.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #30
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
Emmanuelle Seigner in The Ninth Gate. Although, I'm not sure if she's supposed to be The Devil or his guardian. I need to watch the movie a few more times. Each time I see something different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick H. View Post
I think that movie is underrated,has a bit of an Argento vibe to it.
One of my favorite films. I could see the Argento touch in it.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote