Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 04-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #31
Darga
Narcissistic Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaestheus View Post
Legend - well worth checking out. There are two versions available. The theatrical is shorter and has music by Tangerine Dream. The director's cut is about 20 minutes longer and has a score my Jerry Goldsmith. I'm in the minority that think the score by Tangerine Dream is better. But, I'd still recommend watching the director's cut. The extra scenes flesh out a couple of moral issues a lot better.

Prophecy - the film itself is probably a bit weak. But, man, the mythology and world of the whole thing is great. So many interesting ideas floating in the background of this one, that it should be highly recommended to anyone who has an interest in "biblical horror" or even a remote interest just in theology.
I watched The Prophecy the other night and agree with your opinion completely. It's one of those films that I just never figured was good enough to bother seeing. And that turned out to be true for the most part except for the angel mythology which is quite compelling.

And thanks for reminding me Peter Cook in Bedazzled. Definitely my favorite depiction of the Devil. Now that it's fresh in my mind I'm gonna have to watch that again some time this weekend.
Darga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #32
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darga View Post
I watched The Prophecy the other night and agree with your opinion completely. It's one of those films that I just never figured was good enough to bother seeing. And that turned out to be true for the most part except for the angel mythology which is quite compelling.
Glad you checked that movie out. Sorry to hear you didn't think it was a good movie (you just liked the concept) It's a hidden gem imo in terms of concept. That whole angel "story" is loosely derived from the bible. The war in heaven between angels vs the devil, fallen angels, etc...

It took many parts and twisted them around to make a more threatening story. Instead of Michael (they use Gabriel) , instead he's a bad guy looking for that soul to help him win that war. Really should be Michael & his Army of God fighting the devil & protecting a woman about to give birth to a savior. So that's where they probably got the little girl thing from. They made it that she has a special meaning to the war & protecting her from Gabriel and such. Something like that.

Last edited by baggio; 04-05-2013 at 07:53 PM.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #33
dave13
HackMaster

yeah, i love the whole mythology of The Prophecy films. I remember seeing it when it hit video in 95. I would have been 13, and in grade 8. I came to school and started telling all my catholic teachers about it - "It's about the angel Gabriel, but he's evil! And there's a second war in heaven, and some of the angels hate humans! While the war is happening, people don't go to heaven, they just lie in their coffins! And the devil is there, too! It's so cool!" They were pretty offended. It was wonderful. I picked up the double feature blu ray a few months ago. Nothing earth-shattering, but I'm happy to finally have an anamorphic copy of it.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #34
Darga
Narcissistic Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggio View Post
Glad you checked that movie out. Sorry to hear you didn't think it was a good movie (you just liked the concept) It's a hidden gem imo in terms of concept. That whole angel "story" is loosely derived from the bible. The war in heaven between angels vs the devil, fallen angels, etc...

It took many parts and twisted them around to make a more threatening story. Instead of Michael (they use Gabriel) , instead he's a bad guy looking for that soul to help him win that war. Really should be Michael & his Army of God fighting the devil & protecting a woman about to give birth to a savior. So that's where they probably got the little girl thing from. They made it that she has a special meaning to the war & protecting her from Gabriel and such. Something like that.
I definitely didn't dislike it- it had it's moments. I throughly enjoyed Christopher Walken and Viggo Mortensen, but I suppose I didn't care for Elias Koteas in the lead role. Virginia Madsen usually kind of bugs me for some reason too.

The whole concept of the war in heaven was fascinating though. I have next to no experience with the bible so I was curious as to how much of the mythology involved was original to the screenplay. Are there any other films that have approached this in a similar manner?
Old 04-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #35
Darga
Narcissistic Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
yeah, i love the whole mythology of The Prophecy films. I remember seeing it when it hit video in 95. I would have been 13, and in grade 8. I came to school and started telling all my catholic teachers about it - "It's about the angel Gabriel, but he's evil! And there's a second war in heaven, and some of the angels hate humans! While the war is happening, people don't go to heaven, they just lie in their coffins! And the devil is there, too! It's so cool!" They were pretty offended. It was wonderful. I picked up the double feature blu ray a few months ago. Nothing earth-shattering, but I'm happy to finally have an anamorphic copy of it.
If you did that at one of the Catholic schools my friends went to when we were kids you most likely would have gotten your ears boxed and then had your ass beaten bloody with a ruler!
Old 04-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #36
Paff

Quote:
If you did that at one of the Catholic schools my friends went to when we were kids you most likely would have gotten your ears boxed and then had your ass beaten bloody with a ruler!
You'd be lucky if that was the worst thing to happen to you at Catholic school! (sorry, that was just too easy...)

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #37
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
I definitely didn't dislike it- it had it's moments. I throughly enjoyed Christopher Walken and Viggo Mortensen, but I suppose I didn't care for Elias Koteas in the lead role. Virginia Madsen usually kind of bugs me for some reason too.

The whole concept of the war in heaven was fascinating though. I have next to no experience with the bible so I was curious as to how much of the mythology involved was original to the screenplay. Are there any other films that have approached this in a similar manner?
The only other one that comes to mind would be Legion (2010)

It has the whole evil angels coming to destroy the human race and wanting a particular woman's baby, that turns out to be the savior. Stars Paul Bettany as Archangel Michael to save the humans against Gabriel's army of angels. If I'm not mistaken from what I remember about the film, this army is sent by God to test his angels to destroy mankind, because he loses faith in humans. Which in "bible" theory makes no sense. It's like the opposite of The Prophecy. Prophecy is the war in heaven to save humans, because of God's love for us, etc .. etc... Also in Legion, Michael is the cast off from heaven, going against God's wishes. That's not in the bible ... I don't think.

But check it out, it has a lot of action, etc...

Last edited by baggio; 04-06-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #38
Anaestheus
HackMaster

Quote:
Most of the background is pulled from the "Book of Enoch" - an apocryphal text that describes the second fall of the angels. The second Prophecy movie pulls even more from this book. This book was also a big influence on the band Fields of the Nephilim.

The TV show Supernatural deals with this whole angels' war as a main plot line for the bulk of the show. And I highly recommend it, but it may not hook you in the first season. But by the start of the second season, they dig their heals into the story and really let it rip.

As for other similar movies, there's also The Seventh Sign, End of Days, and Constantine. But, I'd also argue that none of them are really as good or as well researched as Prophecy. Oh, and Kevin Smith's "Dogma" is another pretty good interpretation of this whole sort of thing. Even if it is played more for laughs, it is pretty well researched and thought provoking as well.

And, while it's not a horror story, the book "Good Omens" by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett is sort of a "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Apocalypse" that is very well researched, a very interesting take on the Revelations of John, and really damned funny. While I have no proof, I am pretty confident that whoever made Prophecy must have, at least, been aware of this book.

Last edited by Anaestheus; 04-06-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Anaestheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #39
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaestheus View Post
Most of the background is pulled from the "Book of Enoch" - an apocryphal text that describes the second fall of the angels. The second Prophecy movie pulls even more from this book. This book was also a big influence on the band Fields of the Nephilim.

The TV show Supernatural deals with this whole angels' war as a main plot line for the bulk of the show. And I highly recommend it, but it may not hook you in the first season. But by the start of the second season, they dig their heals into the story and really let it rip.

As for other similar movies, there's also The Seventh Sign, End of Days, and Constantine. But, I'd also argue that none of them are really as good or as well researched as Prophecy. Oh, and Kevin Smith's "Dogma" is another pretty good interpretation of this whole sort of thing. Even if it is played more for laughs, it is pretty well researched and thought provoking as well.

And, while it's not a horror story, the book "Good Omens" by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett is sort of a "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Apocalypse" that is very well researched, a very interesting take on the Revelations of John, and really damned funny. While I have no proof, I am pretty confident that whoever made Prophecy must have, at least, been aware of this book.
About a year before The Prophecy was released, I attended a horror convention where Gregory Widen (director/writer) was pushing the movie. He was on stage showing clips from the still unfinished film.

For the life of me I can't remember if he said anything about the Book of Enoch, just said stuff about the bible in general. Not saying for sure he didn't mentioned Enoch, it's that I just don't remember that part. I recall him turning the crowd AFTER he showed some small clips, because in the beginning of his presentation, the crowd imo didn't seem that interested in a biblical horror movie. Also I remember Widen being very enthusiastic about explaining the whole "perching" by the actors. Seemed very proud of that little addition to the movie. Too bad he never directed any more films. I thought he did a good job for a first movie. Just went back to writing where he was more comfortable I guess.

Last edited by baggio; 04-06-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:25 PM   #40
KGBRadioMoskow
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
The movie resembles NOTHING of its source materialÖin fact, itís almost as if itís creators never once opened a Hellblazer comic upon its production.
A boy faced dark haired Yank playing a weathered middle aged world weary Brit.

Fast action demon slaughter substituted for conniving bullshitting and double dealing.

Shit, they didn't even get the pronunciation of the main character's name right.
KGBRadioMoskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #41
unclefred
Victim

unclefred is offline   Reply With Quote