Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 04-12-2013, 04:46 AM   #1
maybrick
HackMaster

Citadel (2012)

If you have Netflix streaming then I suggest that you check this movie out. I read about it in Horrorhound a while back and it sounded interesting, but a bit dirivative of modern kiddie killer films like THEM. Well all I can tell you is HOLLEEE ****!!!! This movie was amazing and absolutely what has been missing from modern films! Picture The Brood combined with elements of The Fog in a desolate urban location that is about as close to Silent Hill as you can get without going into Hell itself and you may get an idea. The atmosphere is blique as ****, there's no stupid Hollywood ******** climax upon climax ending or boss battle at the end. Just an extemely satifisying 85 minutes of tense, chilling terror! These have the first creatures in a long time to give me the chills.

**** the new Evil Dead and it's "The Most Frightening Film You've Ever Seen" ********. This film is ten times better. Can't wait to see it again!

*This post has been scrubbed, sanitized, and purged of it's foul and unclean language by order of Jebus Christ.

Last edited by maybrick; 04-12-2013 at 05:45 AM.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:46 AM   #2
eric_angelus
Testacular

I enjoyed this as well. Nice low key suspense with some very memorable moments.
eric_angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:49 AM   #3
ReelFear
Maniac

I was very excited for CITADEL. I wanted to love it. But for some reason I felt a little disappointed by the time it ended. I would still recommend seeing it, of course. Theres a lot of paranoia and terror, and you have to admire what was achieved on a low budget. Perhaps on a second viewing I may grow to like it even more.
ReelFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:08 AM   #4
Ash28M
HackMaster

Yeah I actually felt it was pretty bland. Didn't do much for me at all. It did have everything it needed to be good, it just never got there.

Last edited by Ash28M; 04-13-2013 at 04:11 AM.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:35 AM   #5
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash28M View Post
Yeah I actually felt it was pretty bland. Didn't do much for me at all. It did have everything it needed to be good, it just never got there.
Well then obviously it didn't have everything that it needed then, like outrageous gore and plotholes up the ying yang.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:13 AM   #6
BloodMan
Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Started off good...really good.... then got really lame... I'd prefer if it went full on bonkers gory with chainsaws and fire and blood rain..... but can't have everything.

If I Don't Have The Right To Torture You, Why Then Do You Have The Right To Torture Me By Taking Away The Pleasure That I Could Get From Torturing You?

Remember, one cannot make footprints in the sands of time by sitting on their butt, and who wants to leave butt prints in the sands of time?
BloodMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodMan View Post
Started off good...really good.... then got really lame... I'd prefer if it went full on bonkers gory with chainsaws and fire and blood rain..... but can't have everything.
Well I for one am glad that it didn't have any of that stuff. In horror films today, things like excessive gore, chainsaws, and blood rain are horribly, horribly cliched.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
scott71670
Maniac

Saw it this afternoon and really enjoyed it. I found it one of the more beautiful and life affirming stories I've seen when viewed with a Jungian perspective where the Father, the Hero and the Child were all parts of the main character... not literally, but in the symbolic processes.
scott71670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #9
Anaestheus
HackMaster

There certainly is a lot to praise about this film. The thing that I really held on to is how interesting and unconventional the story is. Yeah, it borrows a lot from The Brood, but one certainly can't say that it's well-worn ground there. And, they definitely took a lot of time with the atmosphere and the look of the film. In that respect it reminded me a lot of Let the Right One In.

But, for some reason, I just didn't get engaged in the story. There were definitely things that I wish had been done differently. As much as I loved the idea behind the traumatized main character, weak and crippled with agoraphobia, it was almost a bit too much. Particular when saddled with the overall message about fear and victimization, which was handled a bit heavily. Granted, I love that message, and even more love for the fact that the film actually was trying to say something, but it came up a bit too obviously.

I also really felt that something was missing with the kids. The background story is pretty well fleshed out, but they lacked a certain presence or menace. I can't quite put my finger on what was missing. And, I know it's not fair to say, but there was something about the kids in The Brood that really worked well and whatever that was was missing from Citadel.

Despite my negativity though, it was pretty good and definitely a breath of fresh air. It just left me wanting. Fans of The Brood will probably want to take a look though, just to see a different take on a similar story. And, I also think that those who appreciated the atmosphere of Let the Right One In will appreciate this as well.
Anaestheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
Katatonia
Master of Doom

It was an okay film, and did indeed have a few creepy parts, but I honestly didn't find it all that engaging. I think the film could have been executed far better, especially the pacing and characters.

It was worth the rental, but just wasn't a film I'll be itching to see again very soon.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:02 PM   #11
cjg
Maniac

I thought it sucked, now Amazon wont let me resell it along with some other blind buy crap I have bought recently like Presidents Day and Cherry Tree Lane which may be two of the worst Horror movies of the year.
cjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #12
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg View Post
I thought it sucked, now Amazon wont let me resell it along with some other blind buy crap I have bought recently like Presidents Day and Cherry Tree Lane which may be two of the worst Horror movies of the year.
Amazon would never let me sell HBO DVDs. Makes me regret blind-buying The Wire and Entourage, because they have no replay value.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote