Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > Laserdisc

Old 06-07-2004, 07:21 PM   #16
X-human
I ate my keys

My LD player doesn't have a remote either. I came accross one looking around the internet and the cheapiest I could find it was $79.99! But it was usually about $108! I'll have to find a universal remote because that's more than I paid for the LD player itself!

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 07:45 PM   #17
Paff

The thing with Universal Remotes is that very few of them (if any) have Laserdisc-exclusive functions, such as the L/R, Analog/Digital, etc.

I think there's a place called replacementremotes.com.
You could also consider E-bay, and just get any Pioneer Remote (as long as it has the functions you need)

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 02:48 AM   #18
NIN
Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
It's only a matter of time before everything comes out on DVD. Some may be further off, but the amount of LD-exclusives is going to approach zero. Sure, there will still be a few here and there, and some Lasers will have special features that aren't out on DVD. But that number will be so small, it's kind of hard to justify getting into the format at this time.

I know this is a old thread but that is just what makes it little funny. Still today, 2006, there are hundred after hundred movies not released on DVD anywhere, that are released on LD. I'm doing a list of LD's not on DVD and I would guess that it's over 1000 movies on LD that are not on DVD yet. I would guess a couple of 1000 music videos/consert disc only on LD and rather much LD's that have better PQ, AQ or just different version/extras.

So, as with VHS, LD can still be a good investment for people that like horror, b-action, trash and odd movies.
NIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:42 PM   #19
buck135
The Duke of New York

Hey guys I have a couple of questions. First off, my first LD player (Pioneer CLD-D503) has a few options for audio. Since I'm primarily using it to rip LD's to DVD, I'm unclear which setting I should use. There is an Audio button on the player and on the remote which display 1/L 2R or 1L or 2R. I'm assuming that the option 1/L 1R will be the best option, but I need clarification.

Secondly, I just purchased a Dawn of the Dead LD from Image/HBO Video (the one with the three-headed picture of zombified Roger on the cover). It contains an exclusive interview with George Romero which I cannot find. It's not on any of the three sides (the B side of disc two has no data on it, I checked). I contacted the seller on eBay and he told me that certain players will and will not play additional content. I have had no issues with bonus content on any of the other LD's I own. Any advice guys?
Old 04-22-2013, 01:47 AM   #20
Paff

Audio on Laserdiscs is all confusing. There's Digital, Analog, and that L/R thing you've noticed. Even stranger, the Digital is not digital like we know now, where some kind of decoder is needed.

As for Dawn of the Dead, I looked it up on lddb.com, and it said this:
"Package states interview with George Romero, but disc has none"

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:54 AM   #21
booper71
HackMaster

I had one called the Pioneer Laseractive, it was a top notch LD player that also had Sega Genesis functionality.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:15 AM   #22
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Audio on Laserdiscs is all confusing. There's Digital, Analog, and that L/R thing you've noticed. Even stranger, the Digital is not digital like we know now, where some kind of decoder is needed.

As for Dawn of the Dead, I looked it up on lddb.com, and it said this:
"Package states interview with George Romero, but disc has none"
As always, thanks Paff. I'll keep toying with the audio to see if there's a difference.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:08 AM   #23
startide
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
As always, thanks Paff.
Ouch!! Hope you didn't outlay that much buck!
startide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #24
JimSmith
Banned Mofo

I have a question. Is there any all-region laserdisc players out there? And if there is which one would pay both sides of a laserdisc without having to flip it over? I've for some time now wanted to buy a laserdisc player and buy the japanese laserdisc set of The Encyclopedia of Horror (Stephen King's This is Horror).
JimSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #25
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by startide View Post
Ouch!! Hope you didn't outlay that much buck!
Paff has answered every laserdisc question I have ever had. He is the reason I own the player that I do.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #26
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post
I have a question. Is there any all-region laserdisc players out there? And if there is which one would pay both sides of a laserdisc without having to flip it over? I've for some time now wanted to buy a laserdisc player and buy the japanese laserdisc set of The Encyclopedia of Horror (Stephen King's This is Horror).
I will quote Paff's answer to my questions which were quite similar:

"OK, first of all, one great thing about LD: NO REGIONS!! If you have a laserdisc, and a laserdisc player, it will play. Doesn't matter where the disc came from.

Now, if you're only going to be ripping the content of the LD, you have a little more leeway. You can buy a single sided player (when the disc gets to the end, 30 minutes for a "CAV" disc, 60 for a "CLV" disc, you have to manually turn the disc over. AKA, "flippers". All LDs are flippers if you have a single sided player.

If you're going to be integrating it into your home theater and actually watching the movies, you'll want a double sided player. This one automatically plays the other side of the disc, and you'll only have to get up if there's a disc change.

Stick with Pioneer players. Look for a CLD-Dxxx, or CLD-Sxxx if you only want a single sided player ("D" and "S" are for Double or Single sided player). The "xxx" will be a 3 digit number. Higher the number, better the player. I use a CLD-D704, one of the best players made short of the "Elite" line (which is a whole new ball game, but a lot more $$$). A 502, or 406 will suit you fine.

Finally, MAKE SURE IT HAS A REMOTE! If you're going to access commentary tracks, you have to change from the digital soundtrack to the analog, and that's a function specific to LD. You won't find it on any universal remotes.

If you find some players that interest you, post 'em here and we can comment on 'em."
Old 04-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #27
JimSmith
Banned Mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
I will quote Paff's answer to my questions which were quite similar:

"OK, first of all, one great thing about LD: NO REGIONS!! If you have a laserdisc, and a laserdisc player, it will play. Doesn't matter where the disc came from.

Now, if you're only going to be ripping the content of the LD, you have a little more leeway. You can buy a single sided player (when the disc gets to the end, 30 minutes for a "CAV" disc, 60 for a "CLV" disc, you have to manually turn the disc over. AKA, "flippers". All LDs are flippers if you have a single sided player.

If you're going to be integrating it into your home theater and actually watching the movies, you'll want a double sided player. This one automatically plays the other side of the disc, and you'll only have to get up if there's a disc change.

Stick with Pioneer players. Look for a CLD-Dxxx, or CLD-Sxxx if you only want a single sided player ("D" and "S" are for Double or Single sided player). The "xxx" will be a 3 digit number. Higher the number, better the player. I use a CLD-D704, one of the best players made short of the "Elite" line (which is a whole new ball game, but a lot more $$$). A 502, or 406 will suit you fine.

Finally, MAKE SURE IT HAS A REMOTE! If you're going to access commentary tracks, you have to change from the digital soundtrack to the analog, and that's a function specific to LD. You won't find it on any universal remotes.

If you find some players that interest you, post 'em here and we can comment on 'em."
Would you happen to have the japanese laserdisc of The Encyclopedia of Horror? That would be the first thing I would buy on laserdisc! :-) Great documentary with great artwork! :-)
Old 04-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #28
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post
Would you happen to have the japanese laserdisc of The Encyclopedia of Horror? That would be the first thing I would buy on laserdisc! :-) Great documentary with great artwork! :-)
I don't have that LD, but I do have the Japanese Dawn of the Dead Perfect Collection. It works like a dream.

http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/00189/...llection-(1978)
Old 04-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #29
JimSmith
Banned Mofo

Do you know of any horror dvd-r bootleg sites? Maybe I can find The Encyclopedia of Horror on there.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #30
f.ramses
Maniac

Although there were no regions for LD, one could still be limited to what they could play because different countries use different signals. There were NTSC, PAL, and, I think, SECAM LDs just like we had with VHS tapes and most players were not multi-system.