Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 05:11 AM   #31
Egg_Shen
broomhead
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,080
On another note, I still don't understand how they price their blu-rays. I went to Amazon expecting a $20.00 price tag like most others, and it's only $15.00. Obviously that suits me fine, but I don't see why they'd price it so much cheaper. Especially now knowing they've got a fine selection of participants for supplemental material.
Egg_Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #32
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster
 
elDomenechHDG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,069
More than anything, I want a great transfer, so this low price point, while nice, has me a little worried. This might mean they weren't able to secure the best source material and are using an older master. Not saying this is the case here, just that it's usually why certain titles are priced cheaper than others.
elDomenechHDG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #33
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA
 
bruce h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 2,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG View Post
More than anything, I want a great transfer, so this low price point, while nice, has me a little worried. This might mean they weren't able to secure the best source material and are using an older master. Not saying this is the case here, just that it's usually why certain titles are priced cheaper than others.
So far all of the MGM-sourced blu-only titles have had a price point of $20 -- ELECTRAGLIDE IN BLUE, THE VAMPIRE LOVERS, ROLLING THUNDER, etc. I wouldn't be worried.
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #34
Jimmy S
Stalker
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Province of Quebec
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egg_Shen View Post
On another note, I still don't understand how they price their blu-rays. I went to Amazon expecting a $20.00 price tag like most others, and it's only $15.00.
Don't quote me on that, but as they got only the blu-ray rights the licence fee must be lower wich means lower price.
Jimmy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #35
Egg_Shen
broomhead
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy S View Post
Don't quote me on that, but as they got only the blu-ray rights the licence fee must be lower wich means lower price.
Ah, interesting. See, I have no idea about that stuff.
Egg_Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #36
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA
 
bruce h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 2,257
DVD Drive-In with the review:

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/n...under77blu.htm

Sounds like another winner from Shout Factory!
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #37
Katatonia
Master of Doom
 
Katatonia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Missouri
Posts: 17,835
DVD Verdict review: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/ro...nderbluray.php
__________________
"We know nothing in reality; for truth lies in an abyss." - Democritus

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #38
Stige
HackMaster
 
Stige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stavanger,Norway
Posts: 1,496
so it's the same almost as the region B version I already have minus the commentary?
Stige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #39
fattyjoe37
HackMaster
 
fattyjoe37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: WA
Posts: 1,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stige View Post
so it's the same almost as the region B version I already have minus the commentary?
No. The featurette (which includes interviews with Tommy Lee Jones and Paul Schrader) is not on the region B release. This release does lose the commentary and interview from the region B version though.
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #40
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!
 
Myron Breck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 4,129
I am greatly disappointed by the loss of the commentary track, but the picture and doc both sound like winners. I'm really looking forward to seeing this one in proper form.
__________________
The reason I'm poor...

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #41
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA
 
bruce h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 2,257
The Beav on ROLLING THUNDER:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-r...er_blu-ray.htm
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #42
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster
 
elDomenechHDG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,069
Why is Amazon even bothering with the Rolling Thunder DVD-R, especially with that $20 price tag?? Who is going to buy a $20 MOD when there's a perfectly (more than) acceptable Blu-ray coming out for $5 less??
elDomenechHDG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #43
Jimmy S
Stalker
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Province of Quebec
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG View Post
Who is going to buy a $20 MOD when there's a perfectly (more than) acceptable Blu-ray coming out for $5 less??
Not everybody own a blu-ray reader... in fact the majority of Joe Public doesn't have one and is happy with their DVD reader.
Jimmy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #44
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster
 
elDomenechHDG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy S View Post
Not everybody own a blu-ray reader... in fact the majority of Joe Public doesn't have one and is happy with their DVD reader.

True that. But how is Joe Public going to react when he finds out he's being stiffed and actually being charged a premium for an inferior format? The "Joe Publics" of the world shop at Walmart (or online) for the lower prices

Last edited by elDomenechHDG; 05-22-2013 at 03:32 PM.
elDomenechHDG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #45
Jimmy S
Stalker
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Province of Quebec
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG View Post
True that. But how is Joe Public going to react when he finds out he's being stiffed and actually being charged a premium for an inferior format?
They won't care. Some of them are the same people who bought the fullscreen DVDs not that long ago even when a widescreen one was available and often release the same day. BTW DVD isn't an inferior format in any way for most people, even if I own a BR reader I continue to buy mostly DVDs as the format is perfectly fine for me. I'm not one of those blu or nothing kind of guy, that a film I'm interested in is release is the important fact for me (the format isn't important even if the release is an autorized DVD-R I won't pass).
Jimmy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1999-2014 Horrordvds.com

No text or images from this site may be reprinted or used elsewhere without express consent from Horrordvds.com