Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > Laserdisc

Old 04-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #31
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post
Do you know of any horror dvd-r bootleg sites? Maybe I can find The Encyclopedia of Horror on there.
No sorry. I'm making my own DVR's from LD's that I own for my own enjoyment.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #32
Paff

I thought Dave had a copy of Encyclopedia of Horror, as he reviewed it here on the site. And actually, it may not even be "bootlegging" to get a DVD-R of it. Don't quote me, but there's this thing called the "Berne Act" where if a movie is not released in the US, it's essentially considered public domain and free to be copied. I'm probably murdering the legal definition of the Berne Act there, but it's something like that. I think that's one of the reasons (there are others) they created region coding in the first place. So that even if a movie fell under the Berne Act, people couldn't just get import copies. I dunno, I'm kinda guessing at that.

I do remember that back in the early 90s, there were a lot of people making tapes of laserdiscs of foreign movies. That was where you got your Argento, Fulci, and Hong Kong flicks. The reputable sites would remove titles from their catalogs the moment an official US release came out.

Which by the way, brings up another bonus of laserdisc: No Macrovision or HDCP in place to prevent copying! Not that I advocate bootlegging discs, but making your own copies onto DVD for personal use is perfectly legal.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:56 PM   #33
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
I thought Dave had a copy of Encyclopedia of Horror, as he reviewed it here on the site. And actually, it may not even be "bootlegging" to get a DVD-R of it. Don't quote me, but there's this thing called the "Berne Act" where if a movie is not released in the US, it's essentially considered public domain and free to be copied. I'm probably murdering the legal definition of the Berne Act there, but it's something like that. I think that's one of the reasons (there are others) they created region coding in the first place. So that even if a movie fell under the Berne Act, people couldn't just get import copies. I dunno, I'm kinda guessing at that.

I do remember that back in the early 90s, there were a lot of people making tapes of laserdiscs of foreign movies. That was where you got your Argento, Fulci, and Hong Kong flicks. The reputable sites would remove titles from their catalogs the moment an official US release came out.

Which by the way, brings up another bonus of laserdisc: No Macrovision or HDCP in place to prevent copying! Not that I advocate bootlegging discs, but making your own copies onto DVD for personal use is perfectly legal.
I think the Berne Convention Implementation Act of 1988 was actually intended to have the opposite effect. Before the act was implemented the US only offered full copyright protection to US citizens and residents.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:37 AM   #34
startide
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
Paff has answered every laserdisc question I have ever had. He is the reason I own the player that I do.
No, I was referring to the LD you bought for the non existent Romero interview!!
startide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:53 AM   #35
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by startide View Post
No, I was referring to the LD you bought for the non existent Romero interview!!
My apologies. This semester is ending and my brain is mush. I paid $25 for it. It's fine, I already made a DVD copy of it. I also own four other versions of Dawn on laserdisc. All transfered to DVD. I need help.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #36
startide
Stalker

Quote:
My apologies. This semester is ending and my brain is mush. I paid $25 for it. It's fine, I already made a DVD copy of it. I also own four other versions of Dawn on laserdisc. All transfered to DVD. I need help.
LOL indeed. Do you wanna see my Prom Night collection? I actually don't know how many copies I have of that film, all up. DVD, LD, VHS, beta... I'm really bummed it was never released on CED. Can you believe that? (And laserdisc never even took off here! I have a vintage video magazine with reviews of the format. I had no idea it was here that early! That shows you how popular it was! )
startide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #37
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by startide View Post
LOL indeed. Do you wanna see my Prom Night collection? I actually don't know how many copies I have of that film, all up. DVD, LD, VHS, beta... I'm really bummed it was never released on CED. Can you believe that? (And laserdisc never even took off here! I have a vintage video magazine with reviews of the format. I had no idea it was here that early! That shows you how popular it was! )
That's cool, I'm the same way with Romero's initial zombie trilogy. I have ten different copies of NOTLD on blu-ray (not counting the TT '90 remake), four different versions of Dawn and of Day on blu-ray. Also, countless versions of all three on DVD. It's nice to have movies that we just cannot get enough of.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #38
Paff

Quote:
That's cool, I'm the same way with Romero's initial zombie trilogy. I have ten different copies of NOTLD on blu-ray (not counting the TT '90 remake), four different versions of Dawn and of Day on blu-ray. Also, countless versions of all three on DVD. It's nice to have movies that we just cannot get enough of.
I probably pimped this in the other thread, but did you get the Elite Special Edition of Night of the Living Dead? The two-disc set, with Ben on the cover. That disc has a ridiculous stills gallery (many in full color) not on any DVD.

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 04-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #39
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
I probably pimped this in the other thread, but did you get the Elite Special Edition of Night of the Living Dead? The two-disc set, with Ben on the cover. That disc has a ridiculous stills gallery (many in full color) not on any DVD.
Not yet, but I know the one you mean. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:19 AM   #40
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Bought for $16. Thanks again Paff!
Old 05-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #41
It's me, Billy
Maniac

I've noticed that Criterion released Halloween on LaserDisc twice, first in 1994 (spine # 247) and again in 1996 (#310). What's the differences?
It's me, Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:08 AM   #42
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's me, Billy View Post
I've noticed that Criterion released Halloween on LaserDisc twice, first in 1994 (spine # 247) and again in 1996 (#310). What's the differences?
One version is loaded with extras and was in CAV, the other was movie-only and CLV. Don't know which is which but I can check as I do have the one with the extras.

Wanna hear something funny? The extras-loaded version listed at $100, the bare bones edition was $50. Try charging $50 for a movie-only version nowadays.

Buck: What did you think of that Night of the Living Dead disc?

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 05-13-2013, 03:16 AM   #43
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Buck: What did you think of that Night of the Living Dead disc?
It's awesome, thank you! The photos are fantastic. I started capturing it in order to transfer it to DVD. Thank you very much. I have five different versions of Dawn of the Dead and the Elite NOTLD. If there are any others from the the original trilogy that you recommend, please let me know.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:39 PM   #44
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

Yesterday afternoon Scarecrow Video in Seattle posted on their Facebook & Twitter feeds that they had found a few Laserdisc players in their back room and had them for sale for very cheap prices. So right after work I headed over there and bought a Pioneer CLD-1070 (with remote and all cables) for $25. I then went to a used movie/music store in the area called Silver Platters and grabbed a copy of the E.T. Signature Edition LD set. I had seen it in the store years ago and just lucked out that they still had it. I'm currently watching the old 1996 documentary found on the set. It was great to finally see the alternate ending and Harrison Ford scene in full.

I'm interested in building my LD collection, with a focus being on widescreen films only available in fullscreen on VHS or DVD and sets with exclusive bonus features. Off the top of my head I know I want to grab Elite's Nightmare on Elm Street set and Criterion's edition of King Kong '33, but am unsure of other sets which would fit into what I am looking for. I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death, but do you LD collectors have any recommendations for me?

Last edited by fattyjoe37; 02-14-2014 at 05:41 PM.
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:38 PM   #45
Dave
Pimp

Join lddb.com and the Laserdisc Forever newsgroup. Lddb.com message forum has a thread about lasers or extras that aren't on DVD.

Most are on DVD or blu now but I still enjoy collecting. I swear the format is going through a resurgence right now. I dont think we will ever see new discs pressed due to cost, but who knows.

I just got the Phantasm box.....autographed limited edition. Yum!