Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 06-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #16
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismac87 View Post
What's depressing as hell is that these lists are compiled of "essentials", yet the original NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD has yet to make anyone's list. Given that that film singlehandedly created the modern zombie - it's kind of hard to look at any of these lists without some objection.

Just my two cents since most of you have included the sequel which wouldn't have been made had it not been for the original, influential film, not to mention the other zombie films that y'all are listing.

If you're talking about essentials, or must haves, that one should be on everyone's list - not even at the top, but for crying out loud, somewhere.

Personal favorites, well, that's a whole other story now idn't it?
Excuse me, but most of you are missing the point and really not reading what I had posted. I'm sorry but I thought that I was being clear. I said formative. That means films that you saw at a young age that are still important to you as must haves. This has absolutely NOTHING to do with historical relevance. Night of the Living Dead is a great, important film, no doubt about it. But ultimately I only need one copy in my collection and my original Elite DVD is good enough for me because I simply do not revisit it often enough for it to justify a place in my personal top 20. But most importantly in relation to this list I also didn't see it until a bit later in life when I was ALREADY a confirmed horror fan. But Creepshow, man... I saw that at the right place and right time in life at 8 years old and it has stuck with me to this day. It's like the difference between the President of the US being a historical figure but your dad being just a bit more important. Can you dig it?

And with that, I'm going to replace Prince of Darkness (much as I love it, it doesn't fit with the list) with Time Walker.

As far as objecting peoples lists goes, you CAN'T do that because you are not in a position to judge. This isn't supposed to have historical relevance. Although I personally have a hard time believing that Fulci Zombie films are among some of the first horror movies you've ever viewed. Unless you're a late bloomer that is.

Last edited by maybrick; 06-06-2013 at 01:42 PM.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #17
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

Guys, it's a list of YOUR greatest horror films, not THE greatest horror films. You can't get offended if your personal favorites aren't on someone else's list. Have fun with it. It's all just personal opinion.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #18
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joltaddict View Post
Nobody put The Shining on a top 20 list of horror flicks?
Good call on The Shining. Just added (also replaced Motel Hell with Shock Waves). The Shining used to be on The Movie Channel and Channel 56 out of Boston all of the time back in the 80s (as were most of these films on my list). That movie freaked me out.

As an addendum to the list, I'd like to give a shout out to Channel 56's "Creature Double Feature" which introduced me to Universal Classics, 50's sci-fi, Hammer Horror, and Godzilla movies. That show, more than any one movie, made me the fan that I am today. None of those films made my list, but they were primordial in my consciousness playing every Saturday earlier in my life than I can even remember. I love ALL of those films, but I don't revisit as I do with Phantasm. Phantasm is like comfort food.

Last edited by maybrick; 06-06-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #19
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Horror View Post
Guys, it's a list of YOUR greatest horror films, not THE greatest horror films. You can't get offended if your personal favorites aren't on someone else's list. Have fun with it. It's all just personal opinion.
Exactly. Well not "exactly". As I've said, Prince of Darkness would definitely make my personal "greatest" horror film list, however it doesn't qualify for this one because it didn't help cement my love of the genre. Likewise, another film that did help cement my love of the genre was Watcher in the Woods, but it doesn't make the list on account that the lead actress is too irritating to suffer through now that I'm an adult.

These are supposed to be films that may or may not be good in the classical sense, but more important than anything nostalgia overrides all other criteria.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #20
hots4
Stalker

My list:

An American Werewolf In London
The Thing
Evil Dead
Exorcist
Halloween
The Burning
Friday The 13th
Video Drome
The Fly
Fright Night
Hatchet
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Inside
Bad Taste
Brain Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Zombie Flesh Eaters
Re-Animator
From Beyond
Day of the Dead

apart from american werewolf being my definate number 1, the rest are in no particular order.

Last edited by hots4; 06-06-2013 at 02:23 PM.
hots4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #21
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hots4 View Post
My list:

An American Werewolf In London
The Thing
Evil Dead
Exorcist
Halloween
The Burning
Friday The 13th
Video Drome
The Fly
Fright Night
Hatchet
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Inside
Bad Taste
Brain Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Zombie Flesh Eaters
Re-Animator
From Beyond
Day of the Dead

apart from american werewolf being my definate number 1, the rest are in no particular order.
You watched those as a kid?
Old 06-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #22
Amc888
Screamy Bopper

In no order:

1. Psycho
2. Suspiria
3. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
4. Re-Animator
5. Dawn of the Dead
6. Cannibal Holocaust
7. A Nightmare on Elm Street
8. Black Christmas
9. Zombie
10. The Thing
11. Halloween
12. The Beyond
13. The Exorcist
14. Inferno
15. City of the Living Dead
16. Deep Red
17. Videodrome
18 Cemetery Man
19. The Changeling
20. From Beyond
Amc888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #23
SaviniFan
I Have A Fetish

Edit: Ok, missed the "at a young age" part of this thread. I'll edit my list later to reflect that. Also, what is the cut off age? 13? 18?

As always, in no particular order:

Dawn Of The Dead '78
The Thing '82
Alien
Jaws
The Shining
The Descent
Let The Right One In
King Kong '33
Horror Express
The Exorcist
Psycho
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre '74
Videodrome
Invasion Of The Body Snatchers '78
Zombie (aka Zombi 2)
Gojira
The Fog
Scanners
Dellamorte Dellamore
Prophecy '79

PS3 Gamer Tag: SaviniFan Steam Gamer Tag: ToastyBuffoon

My DVD Profiler

Last edited by SaviniFan; 06-06-2013 at 03:03 PM.
SaviniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #24
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviniFan View Post
Edit: Ok, missed the "at a young age" part of this thread. I'll edit my list later to reflect that. Also, what is the cut off age? 13? 18?

As always, in no particular order:

Dawn Of The Dead '78
The Thing '82
Alien
Jaws
The Shining
The Descent
Let The Right One In
King Kong '33
Horror Express
The Exorcist
Psycho
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre '74
Videodrome
Invasion Of The Body Snatchers '78
Zombie (aka Zombi 2)
Gojira
The Fog
Scanners
Dellamorte Dellamore
Prophecy '79
Ooooo. Horror Express! I may have to re-re-edit my list to fit that one in somewheres. It's funny that I didn't even think about that one, seeing as how I'm waiting for the blu-ray to arrive from Deep Discount.

I guess that there is no real set age limit since people have introductions to the genre earlier or later than life depending on the strictness of their parents. Mine were incredibly lenient so I got a very early education with The Incredible Melting Man being my first true horror movie theatrical experience at age 5. Since you mention Prophecy '79, that as well as Dracula '79 were two others I saw at around the same time frame at the movies but for whatever reason they don't elicit the same sense of nostalgia that Melting Man does for me.

Last edited by maybrick; 06-06-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #25
deepred
Maniac

It's funny how much my horror taste has changed since I was a kid. I don't even own a lot of the movies I enjoyed as a kid - Leprechaun, The Seventh Sign, Mirror Mirror, The Kiss, Witchboard and a bunch of bad horror sequels. This list is a list of movies that I enjoyed by the time I was 16. If you are surprised there are a lot of classics missing that's because I discovered them later or wasn't infatuated with them at 16 or younger.

1. Alien
2. Black Christmas
3. The Changeling
4. The Exorcist
5. Halloween
6. Jaws
7. Nightmare on Elm Street
8. Phantasm
9. Poltergeist
10. Rosemary's Baby (I actually can't recall the 1st time I saw this so may not count but I feel like I've loved it since forever)
11. Scream
12. The Shining
13. Sleepaway Camp II (perfect movie that brings me back to renting a video on vhs over the weekend and getting a pizza and having a friend over)
14. Texas Chain Saw Massacre

Since I don't have 20 and stopped at 14, here are 6 random horror movies that have wow'd me as an adult that are not necessarily classics.

1. Italian Horror in general (Phenomena was my first at like 19 or 20 and I was hooked ever since. It really renewed my love for the genre.)
2. Deathdream
3. Who Can Kill A Child?
4. [Rec]
5. The Brood
6. Spider Baby

Last edited by deepred; 06-06-2013 at 03:55 PM.
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #26
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

1. Psycho
2. Piranha (1978)
3. The Fog
4. Octaman
5. Jaws
6. Alien
7. Halloween
8. A Nightmare On Elm St.
9. Scars of Dracula
10. Lust For A Vampire
11. Amityville Horror II: The Possession
12. Zombie
13. The Car
14. Night Of The Demons
15. Christine
16. An American Werewolf in London
17. The Creature From The Black Lagoon
18. Alligator
19. The Amityville Horror
20. Dracula 79

So many more....

EDIT: Just changed this a little to coincide with the 'films that made you a fan' angle.

Last edited by Anthropophagus; 06-06-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #27
Anaestheus
HackMaster

OK, trying to focus on films that I know I saw before I was 16. But that was so long ago...

1. Shining
2. Alien
3. Videodrome
4. Jason and the Argonauts (I know it's not horror - but it has monsters that blew my little mind)
5. Masque of Red Death
6. The Oblong Box (not the best of films - but images from this really stuck with me)
7. Deathmaster (man, this one did not hold up, but as a child, parts of it freaked me out)
8. Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster (Godzilla was a HUGE part of my childhood and this one gave me nightmares)
9. Horror of Dracula
10. Dracula (1931)
11. Count Dracula (1977) - the one with Louis Jourdan
12. Dracula (1978) - noticing a trend here?
13. Night of the Living Dead - this one somehow became a family tradition on Thanksgiving as soon as we had a VCR
14. Jaws
15. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (I may have been 16 on this one - but as a little kid, the radio ads scared me)
16. Halloween
17. Them (that damned sound they made)
18. Children of the Damned
19. Beneath the Planet of the Apes - also not horror, but the underground dwellers freaked me out
20. Evil Dead
Anaestheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #28
soxfan666
Maniac

Ok, I think I have mine and I won't put them into order. This is my childhood! These movies were ultra important to me then and are still today.

1. Poltergeist
2. Jaws
3. Halloween
4. Dawn of the Dead
5. The Shining
6. The Exorcist
7. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
8. Return of the Living Dead
9. Creepshow
10. Christine
11. Night of the Creeps
12. Zombie
13. Psycho
14. Evil Dead
15. Friday the 13th
16. A Nightmare on Elm Street
17. The Thing
18. Demons
19. Child's Play
20. Faces of Death
Old 06-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #29
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mok View Post
Ok so this is a selfish list? On that premise I gotta include recent favorites.
Well on that premise your list is invalid. Sorry, don't mean to be a jerk, but in school we all learned that if you don't follow the instructions then the teacher either fails you or you are asked to do the assignment over again. Is the idea behind this topic really that hard to grasp?
Old 06-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #30
Mok
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
Well on that premise your list is invalid. Sorry, don't mean to be a jerk, but in school we all learned that if you don't follow the instructions then the teacher either fails you or you are asked to do the assignment over again. Is the idea behind this topic really that hard to grasp?
I think it would have been clearer had you put it: Name the 20 films that made you a horror fan. This line: "No matter how often they get re-released, you MUST have (or are at least severely tempted) to have them in the best edition possible," implies a 20 film desert island list.

For example, Carpenter's Halloween should be on my list in this case, but I've only ever bought one version of it and barely watch it these days because I watched it to death as a kid. I've got three versions of Zombie's Halloween on the other hand.

Amending my list
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote