Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #31
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal
 
Workshed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,511
Quote:
These are the formative films in your creation as a horror junkie.
In no particular order:

1. Waxwork
2. Waxwork II: Lost in Time
3. Sundown: the Vampire in Retreat
4. Dagon
5. Evil Dead II
6. Dawn of the Dead ('78)
7. Cat People (1942)
8. Army of Darkness
9. Ginger Snaps
10. Bride of Frankenstein
11. Fido
12. The Monster Squad
13. Night of the Creeps
14. Gremlins
15. The Exorcist
16. The Shining
17. Alien
18. John Carpenter's The Thing
19. Videodrome
20. The Evil Dead (original)
__________________
*Films watched in: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #32
deepred
Maniac
 
deepred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshed View Post
In no particular order:

1. Waxwork
2. Waxwork II: Lost in Time
3. Sundown: the Vampire in Retreat
4. Dagon
5. Evil Dead II
6. Dawn of the Dead ('78)
7. Cat People (1942)
8. Army of Darkness
9. Ginger Snaps
10. Bride of Frankenstein
11. Fido
12. The Monster Squad
13. Night of the Creeps
14. Gremlins
15. The Exorcist
16. The Shining
17. Alien
18. John Carpenter's The Thing
19. Videodrome
20. The Evil Dead (original)
Waxwork is a movie I'd like to see a nice release of.
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #33
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal
 
Workshed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepred View Post
Waxwork is a movie I'd like to see a nice release of.
Agreed! The shabbiness of my Artisan two-for flipper kinda adds to its charm, but yeah, would love a full-fledged release without ghosting or stuttering, etc. I know there's an international edition, but....
__________________
*Films watched in: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:19 PM   #34
maybrick
HackMaster
 
maybrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Keene, NH
Posts: 9,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mok View Post
I think it would have been clearer had you put it: Name the 20 films that made you a horror fan. This line: "No matter how often they get re-released, you MUST have (or are at least severely tempted) to have them in the best edition possible," implies a 20 film desert island list.

For example, Carpenter's Halloween should be on my list in this case, but I've only ever bought one version of it and barely watch it these days because I watched it to death as a kid. I've got three versions of Zombie's Halloween on the other hand.

Amending my list
Yeah, but how could you read that bit, but NOT the line that preceded it: "These are the formative films in your creation as a horror junkie"? That makes no sense to me.

I would if I could, but we can't edit and rename threads. Hindsight is always 20/20.

This list isn't supposed to be about just what you watched as a kid, but about what you still watch to this day. I used to love Dawn of the Dead as a teen but I hardly ever sit through it anymore. I usually fall asleep to it when I do, so I didn't add it to my list. I was brought up on Hammer and Vincent Price AIP films but I watched them to death as a teen. Same with David Lynch films. With very few exceptions I'm fine with what I have of those films on DVD so I left them off. If you don't watch Halloween anymore or upgrade it then I'd personally leave it off, but that's just me.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #35
Mok
Helena Harper
 
Mok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
Yeah, but how could you read that bit, but NOT the line that preceded it: "These are the formative films in your creation as a horror junkie"? That makes no sense to me.

I would if I could, but we can't edit and rename threads. Hindsight is always 20/20.

This list isn't supposed to be about just what you watched as a kid, but about what you still watch to this day. I used to love Dawn of the Dead as a teen but I hardly ever sit through it anymore. I usually fall asleep to it when I do, so I didn't add it to my list. I was brought up on Hammer and Vincent Price AIP films but I watched them to death as a teen. Same with David Lynch films. With very few exceptions I'm fine with what I have of those films on DVD so I left them off. If you don't watch Halloween anymore or upgrade it then I'd personally leave it off, but that's just me.
Ok I'm not playing anymore.
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #36
maybrick
HackMaster
 
maybrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Keene, NH
Posts: 9,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mok View Post
Ok I'm not playing anymore.
AW, COME ON!
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #37
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal
 
Workshed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,511
I'm just surprised that anyone on this board wants to do another BEST HORROR MOVIES EVAR thread again. Really, guys? You really want to debate the historical merits of NOTLD? Again?

I think this is a cool thread, and I'm glad I actually took ten seconds to read the first post.

edit: this post is typed with gentle joking implied, in case no one actually reads the smilies.
__________________
*Films watched in: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:33 PM   #38
maybrick
HackMaster
 
maybrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Keene, NH
Posts: 9,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshed View Post
edit: this post is typed with gentle joking implied, in case no one actually reads the smilies.
I can relate. It's very difficult to moderate this thread/list/game whatever it is without sounding like a dictator. I just want everybody to understand the rules, to not have it devolve into a generic "Best of" list where everybody's choices are all the usual suspects, and that it's all in good fun.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:06 PM   #39
Kim Bruun
HackMaster
 
Kim Bruun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1,116
As a list of movies formative to my horror movie fandom, my 20 in no significant order would be:

1. Halloween II (1981)
2. City of the Living Dead
3. Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III
4. Link
5. Squirm
6. Cujo
7. Haute Tension
8. Halloween (1978)
9. The Burning
10. Poltergeist
11. Alien
12. Aliens
13. Jaws
14. The Car
15. C.H.U.D.
16. Friday the 13th (1980)
17. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
18. The Fly (1985)
19. Black Christmas (1974)
20. Carrie

Some are movies I was exposed to at a fairly early age, some are movies that for some time were Holy Grails for me. And some are just favourites, plain and simple.
Kim Bruun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:44 PM   #40
chrismac87
Zombie Eater
 
chrismac87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
Yeah, but how could you read that bit, but NOT the line that preceded it: "These are the formative films in your creation as a horror junkie"? That makes no sense to me.

I would if I could, but we can't edit and rename threads. Hindsight is always 20/20.

This list isn't supposed to be about just what you watched as a kid, but about what you still watch to this day. I used to love Dawn of the Dead as a teen but I hardly ever sit through it anymore. I usually fall asleep to it when I do, so I didn't add it to my list. I was brought up on Hammer and Vincent Price AIP films but I watched them to death as a teen. Same with David Lynch films. With very few exceptions I'm fine with what I have of those films on DVD so I left them off. If you don't watch Halloween anymore or upgrade it then I'd personally leave it off, but that's just me.
I do have to apologize because I did misread. The title of the thread is what threw me off - because it sounds like you're naming essential horror films every horror fan should see/own. Not a list that say help shaped you as a horror fan or are personal favorites that made you a horror fan.

If we were talking absolute essential horror films - I think we can all agree on that NOTLD would be on many lists if not all - yes? No?
__________________
Creep Show Radio
chrismac87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #41
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal
 
Workshed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismac87 View Post

If we were talking absolute essential horror films - I think we can all agree on that NOTLD would be on many lists if not all - yes? No?
No one would ever agree that that logic, you illiterate!
__________________
*Films watched in: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:51 PM   #42
spawningblue
Deadite
 
spawningblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshed View Post
I'm just surprised that anyone on this board wants to do another BEST HORROR MOVIES EVAR thread again. Really, guys? You really want to debate the historical merits of NOTLD? Again?
Actually...

http://www.horrordigital.com/vb3foru...133#post737133



And to be fair, as far as I know, we have never done it this way before. I think this will be more interesting then how we have done it before, and hopefully less arguing and complaining!
__________________
"First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me. Blow."

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #43
chrismac87
Zombie Eater
 
chrismac87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshed View Post
No one would ever agree that that logic, you illiterate!
Don't make me sick the people of Nilbog on your ass...
__________________
Creep Show Radio
chrismac87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #44
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal
 
Workshed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
Actually...

http://www.horrordigital.com/vb3foru...133#post737133



And to be fair, as far as I know, we have never done it this way before. I think this will be more interesting then how we have done it before, and hopefully less arguing and complaining!


I think Ash28MNOPQRTSUV did something similar a few years back, but I appreciate that you are willing to do the calculating yourself. Bold!
__________________
*Films watched in: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:55 PM   #45
booper71
HackMaster
 
booper71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ohio (Cincinnati)
Posts: 1,043
Still mulling over my list, having a hard time numbering them and really wanting to limit franchise entries in top 20 to one each.
__________________
Slow posting tenderness since 2002.
booper71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1999-2012 Horrordvds.com

No text or images from this site may be reprinted or used elsewhere without express consent from Horrordvds.com