Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 03-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #16
baggio
HackMaster

How long into the series will it be until the mom starts banging Norman?

Judging by that first episode, you know that's coming.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:12 AM   #17
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

The second episode improved by leaps and bounds for me, it's obvious now they are just taking some of Bloch/Hitchcock's basic ideas and having them evolve into something loosely based on the original book/films while going on tangents that are completely unexpected but nonetheless quite riveting and original.
I found the brother added some much needed tension, also the episode produced some genuinely unsettling moments like Norma's questioning of Emma and her stripping down in front of Norman.
Giving the town its own creepy backstory was something I had not anticipated but definitely keeps things interesting and unpredictable.
I'm pretty much hooked at this point, and I seldom watch tv except for American Horror Story.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #18
Paff

I'm with Anthropopop.....Anthrosnuphalufugus....fuck it, Grim Reaper here. I liked the second episode more (which kind of goes away from what other online communities are saying), enough that I'm probably in for the duration. Maybe I should delete The Following from my DVRing on Mondays, 'cause that has turned to total shit, and it wasn't that good to begin with.

I'm liking it more than I want to admit, because I simply despise the "prequel" concept. They start out being painted into a corner, as already know the eventual outcome. And more often than not, the explanation behind the "origin" is often a disappointment. Darth Vader, the most badass evil man in the history of fiction is really just a whiny brat who misses his mommy? I could have lived my whole life without knowing that.

Prequels tend to be cloying in their way of showing how something started. I'm reminded of a Simpsons episode where they flashed back to summer camp, and a young Moe Syslak gets some phone call he doesn't want, and shouts into the phone "If I ever find you I'll rip out your eyes.....etc etc", then looks directly at the camera and says "And that's the origin of THAT bit". Most prequels do this with about the same level of subtlety, and I for one am fucking tired of it.

That said, I like where Bates Motel is going. Sure, there's a lot of the cloying "origin explanation" I just mentioned, like seeing Norman's squeeze being heavy into taxidermy, and also knowing she's doomed by CF. But the stuff intriguing me is the town itself, which is quite wealthy despite the lack of any kind of business or manufacturing, the way they "solve their own problems" (often resorting to violence, apparently), and whatever it is that Norman and Emma are investigating.

Of course, it helps that Vera Farmiga is a very good actress, and I'm also excited that her little sister is returning to American Horror Story next season.

Good god, is it possible that the best horror right now is on fucking TELEVISION?? (Bates, AHS, Walking Dead)

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #19
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Nice, glad you guys liked it. I personally haven't watched it yet, but it is DVR'd. Perhaps this evening. Been catching up on Walking Dead episodes from Season 1 I missed since they've been doing a marathon all week on AMC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
I'm with Anthropopop.....Anthrosnuphalufugus....fuck it, Grim Reaper here.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:11 PM   #20
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Quote:
I'm with Anthropopop.....Anthrosnuphalufugus....fuck it, Grim Reaper here.
Can't remember when I laughed that hard. Thanks!!
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #21
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

I liked episode 2 more than 1. However it seems like this show will barely be horror oriented.
17thJuggalo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #22
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Maybe I should delete The Following from my DVRing on Mondays, 'cause that has turned to total shit, and it wasn't that good to begin with.
i started out enjoying it as well, but my interest has waned over the last few episodes. i can't put my finger on why, exactly. perhaps just story fatigue. that happens with most tv shows, i find. the same story stretched over as much time as possible eventually just ends up being like The Fugitive (will he find the man with one arm this week?! whoops, looks like he juuuuuust slipped through your fingers. again. better luck next week, Dr. Kimble).

Last edited by dave13; 03-27-2013 at 08:48 PM.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #23
Steel76
Maniac

Quote:
Darth Vader, the most badass evil man in the history of fiction is really just a whiny brat who misses his mommy? I could have lived my whole life without knowing that.
BAH! I have almost deleted the prequels from my memory, and the REAL origin story about Darth Vader, that I had in my head BEFORE I saw the prequels, are back in place, and he was a mean motherfucker who kicked puppies and ran over old ladies with his speeder
Old 03-27-2013, 11:49 PM   #24
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thJuggalo View Post
I liked episode 2 more than 1. However it seems like this show will barely be horror oriented.
Yeah, I don't think so either....the horror elements will be far behind Walking Dead and American Horror Story.

But also, Hitchcock wasn't the Master of Horror, he was the Master of Suspense (I don't know how much Psycho compares to Bloch's original novel). Psycho and The Birds were as close as Hitch got to the genre. So I'm not really disappointed if Bates Motel doesn't pile on the horror element so much. I just hope everything happening in the town doesn't become conspiracy/mystery shit like a lot of shows do

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 03-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #25
baggio
HackMaster

So far I really like the show. There's a bunch of mysteries/questions in just the first 2 episodes. Besides the Norman/Mother first episode "event", there is two other things going on. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out, and how they connect to the Bates family.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #26
deepred
Maniac

I really loved the 1st season and can't wait for season 2! I was apprehensive at first though.

For those that commented about how there are a lot of vintage cars, tvs and the like clashing with the iphones and internet that was intentional on the creator's part. They wanted to have Norma and Norman surrounded by all this nostalgic stuff so it would show just how out of step they are with the world around them.

Did anyone else finish the 1st season?
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:14 PM   #27
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepred View Post
I really loved the 1st season and can't wait for season 2! I was apprehensive at first though.

For those that commented about how there are a lot of vintage cars, tvs and the like clashing with the iphones and internet that was intentional on the creator's part. They wanted to have Norma and Norman surrounded by all this nostalgic stuff so it would show just how out of step they are with the world around them.

Did anyone else finish the 1st season?
I did. Can't wait for the second season myself. The show really took a lot of interesting turns.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:38 PM   #28
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggio View Post
I did. Can't wait for the second season myself. The show really took a lot of interesting turns.
Yeah, I like that they are mixing it up a bit and doing their own story instead of retreading what we've already seen. The show is not only inspired by Psycho but Twin Peaks as well which isn't a bad place to get inspiration from!
Old 06-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #29
Paff

Enjoyed it quite a bit, and also glad I stopped wasting my time with The Following. Emma's quite the cutie, even lugging around that oxygen tank.

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 06-07-2013, 10:56 PM   #30
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Enjoyed it quite a bit, and also glad I stopped wasting my time with The Following. Emma's quite the cutie, even lugging around that oxygen tank.
Emma is cute, especially after that pot cupcake.

I think Vera Farmiga is AMAZING as Norma - a very complex and layered performance. And the actor who plays Norman does a good job making him both sympathetic and creepy.