Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 05-16-2013, 03:32 AM   #16
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

The official red band trailer has debut. Although it is making me really excited, I think it doesn't leave enough to the imagination.

Red Band Trailer
Old 05-16-2013, 03:55 AM   #17
soxfan666
Maniac

I was not a huge fan of the first, but though it was o.k., but that trailer got my interest!
Old 06-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #18
Dobby
HackMaster

Watched this and it blows the original fuckin' away. Normally I hate shit like this believe me I do. This is was filled with cheap scares but effective ones at that! I don't want to ruin this so do give it a view. This movie is really fucked up completely caught me off guard.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #19
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
Watched this and it blows the original fuckin' away. Normally I hate shit like this believe me I do. This is was filled with cheap scares but effective ones at that! I don't want to ruin this so do give it a view. This movie is really fucked up completely caught me off guard.
Agreed. I happen to be one of the few weird people who loved the first film, but wow, this is how you do a sequel. Plenty of action, gore, scares and clever storylines. Even if you hated the original, you will most defiantly love the sequel.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:40 AM   #20
Ash28M
HackMaster

Just checked out the sequel. Overall I didn't think it was as good as the first but It was definitely very good and a worthy entry to what is turning out to be an entertaining series. I thought Adam Wingard's segment was the best, the rest were good as well if not a bit uneven but still very watchable. The special effects were also top notch.

Last edited by Ash28M; 06-10-2013 at 01:43 AM.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:41 AM   #21
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

I didn't hate the first one, but it could have been a lot better. Will definitely watch the second!
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:41 AM   #22
MisterTwister
HackMaster

This one shits all over the original. A scary, intense and gory good time.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #23
Steel76
Maniac

Saw this last night, and it was VERY entertaining
It was also done a bit tongue in cheek, as I also got a bunch of laughs from it. It goes a bit over the top at times, but in a good way, that I REALLY enjoyed. Especially the third story that goes from really grim stuff to hilarity at the end

I didn´t find the wrap around or the first three stories to be THAT scary though, but the fourth by Jason Eisener, had some pretty damn intense moments. Both the creatures and the sound design in this one was great. This was the best part of the movie for me.

Except for the wrap around, which felt kinda pointless, I really enjoyed all of the stories, and it sure beats the crap of the original (even though some stories in the original was okey), so I´m really hoping for a third part, if the series will continue to improve like this.

Even if you hated the original, give this one a chance. It´s quality entertainment!

Last edited by Steel76; 06-10-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Steel76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #24
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I thought the first film was way better. The zombie and cult stories were really boring. The cult one just dragged on and on and on, I couldn't wait for it to end. I really liked the other two stories though.

It was much more polished, so it really lacked that dark, gritty feel of the first film. Only the first segment (the eye one) managed to recapture that feel of the original.

It was entertaining enough though, and if they keep making 'em, I'll keep watching 'em. I just hope they get a better line-up of director's next time.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #25
killit
Maniac

thought the movie was fucking terrible EXCEPT Safe Haven which was AMAZING.
killit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #26
MorallySound
There is no magic.

V/H/S/2 was miles better than the first film (which was one of the worst films I saw last year). I actually enjoyed all the "tales" this time around, although AGAIN none of the shorts actually appear to look like VHS... I have no problem that they are not shot on VHS, but if they are being played off of a VHS tape they better damn well look like VHS, and if widescreen should at least be letterboxed 4x3! It's an interesting format for an anthology, but it should be called P/O/V/2 instead of V/H/S/2 as virtually every story is either mainly or entirely shot from a first-person perspective. I'll try and review the "tapes" without any real spoilers, so here goes:

"Tape 49" (Wrap around segment) - Directed by Simon Barrett
The two private dicks are a lot less annoying than the idiot thieves from the first film, but it's still the weakest link of the stories and a rather disjointed wrap-around that's payoff is marred by the fact that if this wasn't broken up by the actual "tapes" it would have been a short loop with characters you don't care about what happens to them. 2/5

"Phase 1 Clinical Trials" - Directed by Adam Wingard
The director of the wrap-around from the first film opens the "tapes" with the story of a man with an injured eye (played by the director himself) who gets a new eye courtesy of a new technology where he's signed on as guinea pig. He can now see, but the catch is everything in his new camera eye is being recorded for data purposes and sent to the company. And it may have some glitches, such as being able to see ghosts. A few jump scares but not really inventive or engaging. 2.5/5

"A Ride in the Park" - Directed by Gregg Hale and Eduardo Sánchez
The producer and the director team up on this short, breezy "tape" involving a cyclist and his GoPro helmet camera as a leisurely morning bike ride has him encountering zombies. A refreshing dose of zombie carnage that's more rooted in black comedy than horror which pays off with its very interesting perspective. 3/5

"Safe Haven" - Directed by Gareth Evans and Timo Tjahjanto
A group of documentary filmmakers are granted access to the secured remote compound of a controversial and secretive Indonesian cult. The longest of the "tapes" and also by far the best, Safe Haven is an absolutely insane horror short that packs punch after punch that is gory, shocking, and expertly constructed. Evans and Tjahjanto manage to build characters, layer plot, and manage to both disturb and entertain. All the different camera perspectives work, and the outcome of its execution is a roller coaster that is probably the single-best "horror film" of the year so far. If this had some more room to breathe as a feature film this could indeed have been a modern horror masterpiece. 4/5

"Alien Abduction Slumber Party" - Directed by Jason Eisner
The title says it all. A group of kids with the house to themselves pull some slumber party pranks on each other, but in the middle of the night the prank is on them as a group of aliens decide to abduct them. The GoPro on the pet dog is an interesting perspective, but the strobing flashlights make things a little hard to see whereas instead of really seeing what is going on in the frenzy of the attacks we can only really piece things together from the sound design. It makes it chaotically intense, but not realistically sound. It's a touch too ADD filmmaking, although still a fun ride with some well placed laughs and jolts. 3/5

Overall, V/H/S/2 is a huge improvement over it's predecessor and pretty good overall, but it's still marred heavily by it's less-than-accurate title and portrayal of VHS. I'd be in for a third, but they really need to step away from the direct POV or "first-person-shooter" style of filmmaking. Somebody get these people a VHS camera and put it on their shoulder.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado

Last edited by MorallySound; 06-10-2013 at 08:01 PM.
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #27
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

A forgot to point this out. In regards to Wingard's segment, can anybody explain why:

Spoiler:
Fucking makes ghosts disappear? Secondly, how did that punk lady figure that even works? Good to know if I ever move into a haunted house I have an excuse to get laid on a dime!
Old 06-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #28
Dobby
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetwarrior View Post
A forgot to point this out. In regards to Wingard's segment, can anybody explain why
Not being snarky or rude but are movies made for entertainment proposes. As much as I have a love hate for the horror genre. Sometimes it's better to just turn your brain off.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #29
soxfan666
Maniac

This is playing at a festival in South Haven Michigan this weekend.

I am visiting for two days from Florida an just bought a ticket only $12!

Last edited by soxfan666; 06-14-2013 at 01:32 AM.
soxfan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:08 AM   #30
ReelFear
Maniac

Saw V/H/S 2 tonight. In a nutshell... The wraparound story stinks. The first segment isn't great, but it's short. The second segment is very good. The third segment is off the hook and should have been expanded to a feature film. The fourth part was well done. I had a feeling of being let down by the ending, but that will only work when the wraparound story works. Maybe part 3 will get it right. This was a huge improvement over V/H/S, so I would recommend part 2.
ReelFear is offline   Reply With Quote