How do you switch characters?
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #47
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mok View Post
How do you switch characters?
You go into your journal (or whatever it's called) and you highlight the other survivors you met. Let's say there are three of them. One of them would be your "friend". When you highlight his/her profile, at the upper left (the space next to his/her carry inventory) you with see the x button(on the screen), it says switch. Hit that and it will switch to that character. The blue x button does not show for survivors that you can not switch to.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #48
Mok
HackMaster

Ah ok. Thanks!
Old 06-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #49
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
Ah ok. Thanks!
Anybody playing this game should post any tips while we play. Might be helpful. What weapons work better than others, etc...

Like that initial tree branch you get will 100% break soon into the game, in fact I picked up a metal bar (I think it was metal) that broke too. Which makes me not have confidence in other "metal" weapons I might find. I guess they don't last forever?

I never shot the rifle I found. I hear it's not easy to shoot at first, you have to hit the head to kill. Plus it brings more zombies around because of the noise.

I can tell you that the hide technique works. I was crouched and moved into some brush & a zombie horde walked by within a few feet.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #50
Mok
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggio View Post
Anybody playing this game should post any tips while we play. Might be helpful. What weapons work better than others, etc...
Will do. Let's also keep each other apprised of who dies just for shits and giggles.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:45 PM   #51
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
Will do. Let's also keep each other apprised of who dies just for shits and giggles.
Sounds good.

I found that (and I can't completely confirm this) but, when a weapon turns yellow in the inventory screen, it means it's getting damaged. And it said that if you put the weapon in the locker at your home base, it will be repaired somewhat the next or something like that. But there might be more to the repairing action, like building a workshop at your home base, but I'm not sure. I for one did not know about the yellow color warning. So this might have been obvious to others , but I didn't pay attention to that detail when I first started the game.

Also FYI, there is only one save slot. And the game auto saves. I wish it had at least 3 slots like Red Dead for example. I only mention this because its not total clear in this game. I know it says continue game & new game. But there was a curiosity in me that if new game would just be saved into a different section. I looked it up, and it's not, so don't try it.

Last edited by baggio; 06-06-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #52
baggio
HackMaster

Update on info from playing more Mok.

Answers to some of my own questions (a few posts ago)

The cars/trucks DO have different strength levels. Example - a small car I used started steaming after just running over zombies only. (not hitting anything else like trees, polls, other cars, etc) The truck I was using before , I was mowing down horde after horde with out doing much damage. Also, cars/trucks have infinite gas.

Tip - When searching & you find a item that results in a large rucksack. (the item that says hold button to take) If you DON'T break open the item & take the whole rucksack back to your home base, it will supply everyone at the base. But if you break open a find (example : breaking open shows 3 small items) then they go to you only. And you have to put them into your locker (at home base) individually. Instead the rucksack immediately disappears off your back when you enter the building at your home base. (supplying everyone) I'm pretty sure this to be true.

On the survivors front, I almost lost my first character Maya. Went for a supply run. (at night) Took a car half way to my destination. (wanted to go stealth the rest of the way) Searching the house, no zombies around, and on the last backroom dresser to search, I did a "fast search". It made a HUGE noise & zombies started flooding the house. I was stuck in the back room. (dam game doesn't allow you to go through a window, only board them up) Was getting my ass handed to me by the time I got out of the house. Exhausted & the car was still up the street. Zombies coming from everywhere. Barely made the car.

Also I still can't get that using an item move down pat. When I was getting hammered with Maya, I had a distraction item. For the life of me I couldn't throw it out. Maybe it was just me being stupid & panicking.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #53
baggio
HackMaster

I just read something (and it is indeed true) that is kinda pissing me off about this game.

Just learned that when you are not playing the game ... life in the games keeps continuing. In other words if you don't play it for a day, characters could be dead, morale lost at base camp, supplies dwindled, etc ... Hours in real time add up to hours in the game.

That just plain blows. If I knew that before, I probably wouldn't have bought the game. I want to play the game on my own time, not forced to check in to see whats going on.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #54
Mok
HackMaster

Played a lot this past weekend. Yes the game plays on while you are not present. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I went from having nearly 10 survivors to 3 + 2 that went missing. THAT pisses me off more than anything. Your dudes go off on their own and get themselves lost or killed. But lets face it, it's the ultimate zombie apocalypse simulator. Shit happens as though you were playing an rts and left it running unattended. I'm kind of worried about my little camp now The way I see it, if I lose everything, I'll be smarter on next play through.

Some things I found out:
- Fuel is only to run the generator back at your base. Cars don't seem to run out.
- As you mentioned events occur while you are away (including your selected character regenerating health + stamina)
- Zombies have varied amounts of health. Those bigger ones and the ferrel zombies can take a lot.
- Like an RTS game you can create and upgrade buildings that serve you in different ways.

I've had my controlled character die twice so far. Marcus got ripped in half by a fat bald zombie after getting cornered between a house and deck. Maya was killed in a house by a ferrel zombie (her belongings are glitched under the house ). Both instances I was trying to help strangers fend of invading zombies. I've figured out a good strategy in these instances is to lure the horde out and have a car ready to plough them over.

PS: Baggio, how do you "Fast search"?

Last edited by Mok; 06-10-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #55
baggio
HackMaster

To search faster you hold the Yellow Y (obviously) & the LB button at the same time. The same method when you want to run faster. But be careful, it can create a lot of noise (see my post about Maya) But sometimes it doesn't make too much noise.

There is a Patch coming this week sometime Mok.

"Here is what we've fixed:

NEW: Playable characters can no longer be killed by the simulation
Workshop now repairs weapons and vehicles at game dawn rather than the next real-world day.
Reduced cooldown times of commands in the Radio Menu, notably Words of Encouragement, Words of Inspiration, and Medical Advice.
NPCs no longer get stuck behind the counter or on the stairs at the gun shop in Spencer's Mill.
The "Too many infestations!" event will now only occur when there are too many infestations within 500m of your Home, rather than anywhere in the world.
UPDATED: The "Too many infestations" to-do item is now cleared when there is only one remaining infestation within 500m of your Home, rather than anywhere in the world.
You must now be close to the ranger station for the Memento mission scene to play. Previously you would be teleported to the station if you left before the end of the mission.
Community members will properly interact with Facilities in your home. Previously they would stop after a period of time.
Feral zombie now properly dodges vehicles approaching at an angle.
NPCs will now reliably reach warehouse between Mt. Tanner and Spencer's Mill when called to gather supplies.
You can now punch out through the windshield of a vehicle if both doors are blocked.
Zombies and NPCs no longer get stuck behind the grocery store in Marshall.
NPCs now properly move to the proper location during cinematic scenes.
Zombies no longer fall through floor in the Marshall courthouse.
Zombies can no longer get under porch or floor at the Wilkerson's farmhouse.
Fixed a few rare crash bugs.
Fixed various translations bugs."

So Mok, I not sure I want to play UNTIL the patch comes out.

Here's why:

You know how at your home base you have the survivors & one will man the watch tower. Well in my game the people STOPPED going up in Watch Tower. Even though it clearly says so & so is at guard duty, he wasn't at his post. Zombies were coming into the base. Nobody was shooting at them to keep them at bay. In the beginning of the game , there was always a person up at guard duty, not anymore. It's tough enough it's a learn as you go game, I don't need a major glitch like that.

See patch fix: Community members will properly interact with Facilities in your home.

Plus that fix should deal with your "belonging getting trapped under floorboards ... hopefully.

Last edited by baggio; 06-10-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #56
Mok
HackMaster

Cool, thanks for the info! I didn't realize the LB button applied to searching. And all those patches are welcome. Especially the Too Many Infestations. I was getting that come up and looking at the map only to see it was miles away and barely worth the time. Maya's belongings aren't really that big of a deal aside from the annoyance of seeing it on the map and know I can't remove it!
Old 06-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #57
baggio
HackMaster

Just curious. Where is your home base? Mine at this point is still the Church. And I'm not sure where I want to move if at all.

I hear there are better or rather bigger home bases in the map. There are apparently pros & cons to all of them. Like there is a farm that is supposed to be a more "secure" base but it's the furthest away from everything like supplies, etc... A lot a people talk about a warehouse. Because of it's size and upgrade ability, but it's cons are the fence around the base isn't the best. A must is statistically placed outposts around the warehouse.

I hear there is a Savini Residence. The name alone sounds like it could be cool. Yet nobody talks about setting up shop there. It's usually the Warehouse or the Farm. Also the other bases have "requirements". Like how many survivors, influence, building materials, etc... The Church is "free" from what I can gather.

Last edited by baggio; 06-10-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #58
Mok
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggio View Post
Just curious. Where is your home base? Mine at this point is still the Church. And I'm not sure where I want to move if at all.

I hear there are better or rather bigger home bases in the map. There are apparently pros & cons to all of them. Like there is a farm that is supposed to be a more "secure" base but it's the furthest away from everything like supplies, etc... A lot a people talk about a warehouse. Because of it's size and upgrade ability, but it's cons are the fence around the base isn't the best. A must is statistically placed outposts around the warehouse.

I hear there is a Savini Residence. The name alone sounds like it could be cool. Yet nobody talks about setting up shop there. It's usually the Warehouse or the Farm.
Still on the farm. You need like 8 people to move and I only have about 5 at this point. The warehouse looks way too big to keep track of everything. The house is located in a dense neighborhood too. So the farm may actually be the best bet. I don't mind a bit of a drive.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:49 PM   #59
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
Still on the farm. You need like 8 people to move and I only have about 5 at this point. The warehouse looks way too big to keep track of everything. The house is located in a dense neighborhood too. So the farm may actually be the best bet. I don't mind a bit of a drive.
When you say "Still on the farm" . You mean that's where you want to go, or that's where you actually are or were. And if you get survivors killed (under 8 req), does it kick you out?

P.S. - On a side note, where's fceurich39? He was all over this game before it came out, hasn't posted anything about the game since it came out. Like to hear his take on the game.

Last edited by baggio; 06-10-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #60
Mok
HackMaster

Sorry meant church