Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 06-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #16
fceurich39
HackMaster

also do u think it will include the extended version?????
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #17
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fceurich39 View Post
also do u think it will include the extended version?????
The TV version? Who knows. Even if they just recycled the SD 16x9 transfer of that from the '99 DVD release, it would be a nice addition.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #18
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
The TV version? Who knows. Even if they just recycled the SD 16x9 transfer of that from the '99 DVD release, it would be a nice addition.
I actually bought that DVD and put it in a 2-disc blu-ray case so it would be like SF's Halloween II.

I would be down with a new release - I just wished I had Carpenter, Loomis and Soles sign that future blu-ray cover.

That's the problem w/ getting cover art signed, you have to hold onto it when the new edition shows up.
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #19
fceurich39
HackMaster

yep I got both the oop extended edition dvd and vhs and also the limited edition 2 disc holo/lenticular cover from 1999 dvd #29456
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #20
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fceurich39 View Post
and also the limited edition 2 disc holo/lenticular cover from 1999 dvd #29456
I snagged mine for under $10 years ago. #0880

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:10 AM   #21
mlock
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepred View Post
I actually bought that DVD and put it in a 2-disc blu-ray case so it would be like SF's Halloween II.

I would be down with a new release - I just wished I had Carpenter, Loomis and Soles sign that future blu-ray cover.

That's the problem w/ getting cover art signed, you have to hold onto it when the new edition shows up.
I like that idea! Like getting the best of both worlds by making your own set. Where's a good place online to buy blu ray cases? I can think of a few titles in my collection I'd like to do that too.

xboxlive: TwitchofDethNrv
mlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #22
shape22
HackMaster

For those who are interested in the Don May B-roll stuff here is some additional info with a couple screenshots:

http://www.ohmb.net/showthread.php?t=9201&page=13

It's important to note that there are no deleted scenes, as Carpenter has stated many times. These are pure outtakes (like the shot of Nick Castle rising from the ground and dancing) and alternate takes of scenes in the finished film.

I'd obviously love to see all of the B-roll footage. But that's not a requirement for me to double-dip. This disc will be a day one buy for me as long as it has the correct, Cundey-approved color timing. As impressive as the detail is on the Anchor Bay BD the film doesn't feel the same to me without the orange daytime tints and the deep, rich nighttime blues. Don May confirmed the strong blue tint is present on the original camera negatives:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topi...978/?p=3134016

Here's hoping they bring Cundey back for another go-round.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #23
SickNick89
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
Unfortunately it doesn't look like it will be.

From Bluray.com,

"Mr. Kirkus just replied to me and stated Trancas isn't interested in the extra footage he has and he and Don May Jr. worked on, so it will not be in the new release."

I wouldn't be surprised if the team that did Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy and the upcoming Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of Friday the 13th do a new 7 hour Halloween doc. and include the footage there. It really is our only hope!

As for this release, all I want are the colours to be fixed, the TV cut, all the extras including those missing from the last Bluray release, and maybe some new extras, which it looks like we will at the least be getting a new commentary! Either way, this is one of my favourite films of all time and I have held off grabbing the last Bluray waiting for this so hopefully it delivers! Now where is the Dawn Ultimate Edition and Phantasm series Anchor Bay!
Arrrg.. This kind of thing really annoys me. The finding of that footage is probably one of the biggest finds for any genre film ever. Nothing warrented a new release more than the opportunity of including that footage on a disc. Halloween has been my favorite film for 25 years and the idea of there being tons of alt/behind the scenes footage was simply amazing! So now that the time has come for a new release with "exciting extras" instead of that footage being the very first thing to start working on (which is should be) we will most likely get the same type of talking heads featurettes spewing the same information over and over. Hey guys did you know the movie was orginally called The Babysitter Murders?? I'm sorry there is nothing left to say about Halloween we haven't heard a million times before at this point. Give the fans somthing exciting, interesting and that they actually want to see. I really wish someone with some heart would put this out.

My DVD Collection:
http://sicknick.dvdaf.com/

Last edited by SickNick89; 06-10-2013 at 04:33 PM.
SickNick89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #24
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

Maybe Don will put the footage in a steelbook, limit it to 500 copies and sell it for $100.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #25
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

Agree 100% with SickNick89. This will more than likely just be "a new transfer" (yawn) and more featurettes (bigger yawn). What does Akkad's son say about all this? What about JC - shouldn't he have any say in any of this? It's because of him that there's even a franchise to speak of. This regurgitation of the same old stuff is really getting old. They probably won't even include the TV edit, which would be a big mistake. Count me out.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #26
SaviniFan
I Have A Fetish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Horror View Post
Maybe Don will put the footage in a steelbook, limit it to 500 copies and sell it for $100.

PS3 Gamer Tag: SaviniFan Steam Gamer Tag: ToastyBuffoon

My DVD Profiler
SaviniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #27
Nailwraps
HackMaster

From Halloweenmovies' Facebook:

"How amazing would it be to have cinematography extraordinaire, Dean Cundey, come back and personally oversee the new digital transfer for the upcoming 35th Anniversary Halloween BluRay???"

My answer would be an obvious: "AMAZING!!!"
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #28
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
From Halloweenmovies' Facebook:

"How amazing would it be to have cinematography extraordinaire, Dean Cundey, come back and personally oversee the new digital transfer for the upcoming 35th Anniversary Halloween BluRay???"

My answer would be an obvious: "AMAZING!!!"
That's news I need. After the color timing debacle on the first Blu-ray release it would be inexcusable not to involve Cundey in the new transfer.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:25 AM   #29
Dobby
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
That's news I need. After the color timing debacle on the first Blu-ray release it would be inexcusable not to involve Cundey in the new transfer.
Oh yeah that's right I recall they took out the blue tones!
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:35 AM   #30
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
Oh yeah that's right I recall they took out the blue tones!
They incorrectly used a more naturalistic, neutral color timing that destroys the stylized look of the film. But it's not just the nighttime blues. A bunch of day scenes are missing the ruddy orange cast that helped create the "fall in Illinois" illusion. The grass and trees look way too green (though less green than they look on the Divimax DVD edition).

I can't imagine how incredible this film would look with a from-scratch higher resolution transfer with the correct color timing. I'm not going to get my hopes up until there's an official press release confirming Cundey's involvement.