Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 06-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #31
mlock
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
For those who are interested in the Don May B-roll stuff here is some additional info with a couple screenshots:

http://www.ohmb.net/showthread.php?t=9201&page=13

It's important to note that there are no deleted scenes, as Carpenter has stated many times. These are pure outtakes (like the shot of Nick Castle rising from the ground and dancing) and alternate takes of scenes in the finished film.

I'd obviously love to see all of the B-roll footage. But that's not a requirement for me to double-dip. This disc will be a day one buy for me as long as it has the correct, Cundey-approved color timing. As impressive as the detail is on the Anchor Bay BD the film doesn't feel the same to me without the orange daytime tints and the deep, rich nighttime blues. Don May confirmed the strong blue tint is present on the original camera negatives:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topi...978/?p=3134016

Here's hoping they bring Cundey back for another go-round.

Thanks a bunch for that link! I had no idea Don may had access to this material for so long already. And while I agree that bringing Cundey back to work on the color timing would be fantastic, I'm a little confused. I realize he was involved with the 2000 Anchor Bay release, and it looked great, but isn't the director responsible for arranging the color timing for their films? Either way, weather Carpenter and/or Cundey are involved with the 35th Anniv edition, it will be mine!

xboxlive: TwitchofDethNrv
mlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #32
mlock
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Horror View Post
Maybe Don will put the footage in a steelbook, limit it to 500 copies and sell it for $100.
OUT-FUCKIN'-STANDING!!!!

Old 06-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #33
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlock View Post
And while I agree that bringing Cundey back to work on the color timing would be fantastic, I'm a little confused. I realize he was involved with the 2000 Anchor Bay release, and it looked great, but isn't the director responsible for arranging the color timing for their films?
Based on everything I've read and heard the "look" of Halloween was a collaborative effort between Carpenter and Cundey. But I tend to think Cundey probably had more influence. He made some movies without Carpenter that look like Carpenter films (Halloween II and III especially). And most of Carpenter's efforts without Cundey don't really seem to have the Carpenter signature. That's strictly my opinion of course.

Regardless, Cundey's involvement in the THX DVD edition resulted in the most accurate presentation of the film on digital media to-date. His involvement with this release would guarantee that the anniversary Blu-ray would be the best reproduction of the theatrical experience yet. I'm crossing my fingers.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #34
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Dean Cundey supervising the transfer confirmed!!!:

http://halloweenmovies.com/?p=1550

"Trancas International Films, Compass International Pictures, and Halloweenmovies.com are proud to announce award winning cinematographer Dean Cundey is supervising the new high definition transfer of John Carpenter’s Halloween for the upcoming 35th Anniversary Blu-ray!"
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #35
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
"Trancas International Films, Compass International Pictures, and Halloweenmovies.com are proud to announce award winning cinematographer Dean Cundey is supervising the new high definition transfer of John Carpenter’s Halloween for the upcoming 35th Anniversary Blu-ray!"
Thanks to all of you guys for posting these updates. I'm going to officially start rejoicing!

This is really an enormous announcement. Dean Cundey isn't the kind of guy to take a check and say "call me when you're done." He was apparently there to assist with the color timing of every scene for the THX transfer. Follow this link and scroll down to the 11-12-05, 04:42 AM post by Terrell to give yourself a warm and fuzzy feeling.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/archive/t-444830.html

Until someone invents a time machine this release should easily become the best possible way to see Halloween.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:42 AM   #36
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
I'm a little confused. I realize he was involved with the 2000 Anchor Bay release, and it looked great, but isn't the director responsible for arranging the color timing for their films?
A director like Carpenter is responsible for the color timing in the sense that a director is responsible for everything else in the movie from the acting to the catering. Obviously they delegate just like your boss delegates to you. You wouldn't say your boss does your job but ultimately your boss is responsible for it.

As the Director of Photography Cundey was tasked in achieving that color. His profession is knowing how to achieve that color. He's the best man for the job, even over Carpenter. That's why Carpenter hired him.

It should be noted that the original color timing Cundey did on the Halloween DVD is probably a bit over saturated compared to theatrical prints. This was the first time Cundey did digital colorizing (as opposed to in a lab) and it was on small tube TVs. They somewhat over compensated for the analog format which was common at the time as VHS and NTSC has a much weaker color spectrum.

We'll have to see how this HD remastering turns out. Cundey is more familiar with the digital process now, they don't need to overcompensate for bad home video and a more true to film color is much more possible now

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:38 AM   #37
mlock
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
A director like Carpenter is responsible for the color timing in the sense that a director is responsible for everything else in the movie from the acting to the catering. Obviously they delegate just like your boss delegates to you. You wouldn't say your boss does your job but ultimately your boss is responsible for it.

As the Director of Photography Cundey was tasked in achieving that color. His profession is knowing how to achieve that color. He's the best man for the job, even over Carpenter. That's why Carpenter hired him.

It should be noted that the original color timing Cundey did on the Halloween DVD is probably a bit over saturated compared to theatrical prints. This was the first time Cundey did digital colorizing (as opposed to in a lab) and it was on small tube TVs. They somewhat over compensated for the analog format which was common at the time as VHS and NTSC has a much weaker color spectrum.

We'll have to see how this HD remastering turns out. Cundey is more familiar with the digital process now, they don't need to overcompensate for bad home video and a more true to film color is much more possible now
Thanks for the clarification. What caused me to ask the question is that Carpenter mentioned on the older commentary track is that his film owes a lot to Dario's film SUSPIRIA, which made me wonder if it was in fact his decision to ask Mr. Cundey to use specific colors and hues for specific scenes during post.

As for the confirmation that Mr. Cundey is in fact personally overseeing this hi-def transfer is fantastic news indeed! Time to sell my AB copy

Old 06-12-2013, 07:47 AM   #38
Dobby
HackMaster

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. What caused me to ask the question is that Carpenter mentioned on the older commentary track is that his film owes a lot to Dario's film SUSPIRIA, which made me wonder if it was in fact his decision to ask Mr. Cundey to use specific colors and hues for specific scenes during post.

As for the confirmation that Mr. Cundey is in fact personally overseeing this hi-def transfer is fantastic news indeed! Time to sell my AB copy

Nothing more I can add I humbly agree with my friend mlock.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #39
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
It should be noted that the original color timing Cundey did on the Halloween DVD is probably a bit over saturated compared to theatrical prints.
There's no doubt that technology has improved. And Blu-ray is capable of much more accurate color reproduction than NTSC DVD. But Don May of Synapse has disputed claims that the THX DVD is oversaturated. Here's an excerpt from one of the links I posted above:

"Well, you don't have to worry about the claims being dubious... I have hours of the original 35mm camera neg for HALLOWEEN (all the b-roll stuff... hours of it) and of the reels I've taken a look at (within the past year or so, mind you), all the blue lighting is definitely there, in full-force.

The negatives were untouched and stored in air-tight containers and the images on the b-roll looked like they were shot yesterday. Nothing was faded and the blue was there. One of the shots I looked at was a scene where nancy Loomis is stuck in the window and little Kyle Richards comes into the laundry room. The blue was so rich, bright and vivid coming through the windows it looked surreal. So, on the original untimed negatives, they had the blue lights blaring!"

It will definitely be interesting to compare the new transfer with the THX version. But based on what Don has repeatedly said I think it's possible that the colors will be even stronger on the new release.

I can't wait to find out.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:59 AM   #40
ImmortalSlasher
Stalker

I hope this is the version to own. As much as I love Halloween, I don't own it. I've read the reviews here of different versions and cinematography. And as networks usually show Halloween all the time in October. That's my fix for the year. But I look forward to finally having Halloween and a complete Friday the 13th collection on my shelf at the end of the year.
ImmortalSlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:06 AM   #41
ronnie21
HackMaster

I will only get this if the blue color timing is back. no other way will I get it. if its the same as the divimax one.
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:55 PM   #42
rijir
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
Unfortunately it doesn't look like it will be.

From Bluray.com,

"Mr. Kirkus just replied to me and stated Trancas isn't interested in the extra footage he has and he and Don May Jr. worked on, so it will not be in the new release."
Well Trancas, I could care less about your Bluray release then. You obviously don't care what fans want. I won't double dip again unless it is worth it.
rijir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:15 AM   #43
othervoice1
HackMaster

I skipped on the first Halloween blu release so if the transfer is improved with decent extras Ill pick it up - Will still keep my limited edition dvd in case the tv version isnt included on this new blu ray
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:25 AM   #44
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Thanks a bunch for that link! I had no idea Don may had access to this material for so long already. And while I agree that bringing Cundey back to work on the color timing would be fantastic, I'm a little confused. I realize he was involved with the 2000 Anchor Bay release, and it looked great, but isn't the director responsible for arranging the color timing for their films? Either way, weather Carpenter and/or Cundey are involved with the 35th Anniv edition, it will be mine!
Technically, the director tells the DP what he has in mind and wants, and then the DP tries to fulfill that goal.

what dos that have to do with the 1999 edition?
Old 06-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #45
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Release Date: 9/24:

http://videoeta.com/movie/products.html?id=356
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote