Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 02-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #31
dickieduvet
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post

And we were not fighting...I was obviously informing the uninformed.
Lol!! What. Uninformed my arse fella!

With close to 1500 Blu-Ray's in my collection and being 6 years into the format, I have a fair idea what, How and why digital tinkering can make or break a HD transfer.

Shout (Scream) Factory apply DNR to their transfers, Olive Films do not....This is fact. Deal with it!!!

If you're happy with the way they look, Good for you!!
dickieduvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #32
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Awww....ain't he cute?
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #33
dickieduvet
Maniac

Yes
dickieduvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #34
meljon
Victim

I've seen my copy of The Nest twice since tuesday and have only watched Ticks once since I got it. 80's over 90's always for me because Im old and it's the nostalgia factor. Also I'd love to have BUG(75) on bluray.
meljon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #35
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
This. I watched The Nest BD last night. The first half of the film is definitely drab but it certainly picks up towards the middle with some great effects. However, the Queen Cockroach didn't look as good as I had remembered it...that whole ending seemed a lot more colorful too. I guess that's primarily due to watching it so many years on VHS...its jump onto HD was pretty jarring for someone not used to the film looking that way. Lisa langlois is totally cute in the flick too. And Ticks may have Carlton, but The Nest has Homer!
Bummer about the end scene. I remember it looking pretty good effects wise. Can't say I remember it being colorful though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meljon View Post
I've seen my copy of The Nest twice since tuesday and have only watched Ticks once since I got it. 80's over 90's always for me because Im old and it's the nostalgia factor. Also I'd love to have BUG(75) on bluray.
I'm only 21 and it's still 80's over 90's for me
Old 02-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #36
skinnypuppy
Stalker

Well hopefully I made the right decision. I went ahead and bought Ticks. Luckily I still have some GiftCard money so I will pick up The Nest next time I see it. I would have picked it up yesterday, but it was sold out.

I'll let you all know what I think when I get a chance to watch it later this week.
skinnypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #37
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

I can probably count on one hand how many horror flicks from the 90's I actually enjoyed. It's by far my least favorite decade for horror (although the present is giving that time period a run for its money) I guess a lot of tastes depends on when you grew up. I was a child of the 80's so a lot of those movies are pure nostalgia to me. I love The Nest, but to be fair, I have yet to see Ticks. Have to check it out at some point.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #38
NaturesMistake
Stalker

Skeeter... lol jk... This should have had a poll. Never seen The Nest, Love Ticks though.
NaturesMistake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #39
shape22
HackMaster

I watched these 2 back-to-back last night in honor of this thread. I prefer Ticks--mostly because it knows what it is. It's a fun, goofy B movie that never aspires to anything more. The Nest takes itself a little too seriously at times--and it spends too much time trying to ape Jaws. It only serves to remind you of what an inferior rip-off it is.

The character backstories in both films are dull and ridiculously hackneyed. But Ticks spends a lot less time on those elements than The Nest. For a while The Nest seems like Melrose place with its love triangle and broken family plotlines. Ticks gets to the bug mayhem quickly and keeps the action coming.

Supporting performances are mostly terrible in both films--with Clint Howard and Terri Treas doing some of the worst work I've ever seen. Treas stands out more because of the semi-serious tone of The Nest. She's so inept that I'm surprised she ever worked again.

Neither film is boring or among the worst the genre has to offer. But I'd much rather re-visit Ticks.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:08 AM   #40
skinnypuppy
Stalker

Well, after months of putting off watching both movies, I have finally sat down to watch them.

I have to say TICKS won me over. I loved the movie. It's like what a few of you said - it knows what it is and doesn't try to be anything else. The Nest is fun too I just found it a little slow in parts. The cockroaches weren't really that fun to watch. I love the monster at the end. And the cool lighting in the cave.

Anyways, for anyone who hasn't purchased these movies, I suggest TICKS over The Nest.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:55 AM   #41
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

I almost ordered Ticks from importcds today, then I realized the full movie was on YouTube. I skimmed through it and it just seemed too stupid. I know that's not a fair assumption, so I do plan on watching it from beginning to end soon.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:32 AM   #42
skinnypuppy
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated Prey View Post
I almost ordered Ticks from importcds today, then I realized the full movie was on YouTube. I skimmed through it and it just seemed too stupid. I know that's not a fair assumption, so I do plan on watching it from beginning to end soon.
Don't get me wrong, it is pretty stupid, but it is so much fun.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:31 AM   #43
Franco
Weekender

Now that I just saw The Nest for the first time, and checked for details from the movie and actors, I see Heidi Helmer, the girl that performs as Jenny in it, had died at the age of 45

Here's her obituary:
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/chi...05#fbLoggedOut
Old 09-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #44
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco View Post
Now that I just saw The Nest for the first time, and checked for details from the movie and actors, I see Heidi Helmer, the girl that performs as Jenny in it, had died at the age of 45

Here's her obituary:
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/chi...05#fbLoggedOut
Yeah, really sad. I remember seeing that somewhere a couple years back.

She was also in Beach Balls and Porky's Revenge.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #45
thing
Maniac

Bug (Friedkin)