Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 06-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #46
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshed View Post

I think Ash28MNOPQRTSUV did something similar a few years back, but I appreciate that you are willing to do the calculating yourself. Bold!
I saw a bunch of lists but none done the same way. And they are all at least 3 years old.

I see this where everyone just added one movie to the list.

http://www.horrordigital.com/vb3foru...&highlight=100

And this where people could vote on and off a film which just started fights.

http://www.horrordigital.com/vb3foru...&highlight=100

I personally think the way this one is set up will better represent everyone's opinion without (Hopefully) creating a fight.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast

Last edited by spawningblue; 06-06-2013 at 11:06 PM.
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:44 AM   #47
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

There will be fights. And there will be blood, oh yes.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:03 AM   #48
msw7
Morso a morte

Ok, I misread the original post, so here is an updated list to reflect the movies that instilled a love of horror in me, from my childhood and teen years, mostly.

1. King Kong (1933)
2. Godzilla movies (no specific one)
3. Matango (1963)
4. Dressed to Kill
5. The Shining
6. The Omen
7. Re-animator
8. Evil Dead 2
9. Return of the Living Dead
10. Dawn of the Dead (1978; saw it when I was 13, my friend puked )
11. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
12. The Thing
13. The Incredible Shrinking Man (spider fight)
14. Psycho
15. Poltergeist
16. Angel Heart
17. Friday the 13th part 3
18. Nightmare on Elm Street
19. Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959; for the monsters)
20. Foul Play (w/Chevy Chase; albino and dwarf scared the hell out of me as a child)

/still not in any particular order
msw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #49
spawningblue
Deadite

I could probably fill this list with just Friday and Nightmare movies, since those were the horror movies I mostly watched when I was younger.

1. Jaws
2. Halloween (1978)
3. Friday the 13th Part 6: Jason Lives
4. The Monster Squad
5. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
6. Halloween 2 (1981)
7. Friday the 13th
8. Child's Play 2
9. Poltergeist
10. Dolls
11. Army of Darkness

I didn't fully get into horror until I was older, so the rest of my list is when I got back into it.

Suspiria
The Exorcist
An American Werewolf in London
The Howling
Creepshow
Phantasm
Black Christmas (1974)
My Bloody Valentine (1981)
The Thing (1982)

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:25 AM   #50
DVD-fanatic-9
Tough Lover

I'm going to break the format a little bit, just look over at my DVD collection, and rank the sets and editions I have based on how excited I was to actually buy them or watch the new bonus features (no remakes):

1. Friday the 13th (Paramount franchise, as a group)
2. Killer Klowns from Outer Space
3. The Evil Dead
4. Phantasm
5. There's Nothing Out There
6. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
7. Gremlins
8. Phenomena
9. An American Werewolf in London
10. Halloween
11. The Silence of the Lambs
12. Dust Devil (1992)
13. Carnival of Souls
14. Suspiria
15. Gremlins 2: The New Batch
16. The Last House on the Left
17. Dawn of the Dead
18. Piranha
19. Scream
20. Creepshow (then the awful video transfer let me down)
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:40 AM   #51
zompirejoe
Maniac

These are in no particular order.

Phantasm
Night Of The Living Dead
Halloween
Deathdream
The Thing
Dawn Of The Dead
The Evil Dead
The Creature From The Black Lagoon
Jaws
Piranha
Count Yorga Vampire
An American Werewolf In London
The Howling
The Fog
Let's Scare Jessica To Death
Psycho
Carrie
Creepshow
The Exorcist
Phenomena

These are the films that really made me love the genre. I really miss the glory days of late night horror shows, mom and pop video stores, and theaters being loaded with stuff that would more than likely go direct to video today.
zompirejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:57 AM   #52
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zompirejoe View Post
These are the films that really made me love the genre. I really miss the glory days of late night horror shows, mom and pop video stores, and theaters being loaded with stuff that would more than likely go direct to video today.
Preach it, brutha! People born in the late 80s to the present don't fully realize what they missed out on. I was young but I at least still got to experience the death knells of drive-in movies theaters, car hops, roller discos, and the like. Also, movies that would stay at the cineplex for months on end rather than come and go in a fortnight. Lines would be practically around the block. Videos wouldn't be released for almost a full year (sometimes longer) as opposed to only a few short months. When I was a kid I went to the movies every week for 2-3 bucks and I didn't need adult supervision to see things like Amityville 2 or Halloween III (an adult buying the ticket was good enough). If I didn't go to the movies there always seemed to be good horror movies on basic, $5/month television on the weekends. In a small town of 13,000 people you could have 5 video stores, not counting the corner markets that also rented films.

Today you have Netflix. And yeah, I admit that is cool to have so many films so easily at your fingertips. But still....I miss the days when people had a reason to leave their homes. It's far too easy to behave like a misanthrope when you never have to associate physically with others.

Last edited by maybrick; 06-14-2013 at 05:24 AM.
maybrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #53
ThisEvilBastard
Banned Mofo

For me it's:
From Dusk till Dawn (my favorite film)
Creepshow
A Nightmare on elm Street
Friday the 13th
Halloween
Psycho
The Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness
Cabin in the Woods
Dracula 2000
Donnie Darko
Maniac
ThisEvilBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #54
ThisEvilBastard
Banned Mofo

Funny Games remake
Alien
Aliens
I Spit on your grave original
Behind the Mask
Planet Terror
Death Proof
Jaws 3
ThisEvilBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #55
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
Preach it, brutha! People born in the late 80s to the present don't fully realize what they missed out on. I was young but I at least still got to experience the death knells of drive-in movies theaters, car hops, roller discos, and the like. Also, movies that would stay at the cineplex for months on end rather than come and go in a fortnight. Lines would be practically around the block. Videos wouldn't be released for almost a full year (sometimes longer) as opposed to only a few short months. When I was a kid I went to the movies every week for 2-3 bucks and I didn't need adult supervision to see things like Amityville 2 or Halloween III (an adult buying the ticket was good enough). If I didn't go to the movies there always seemed to be good horror movies on basic, $5/month television on the weekends. In a small town of 13,000 people you could have 5 video stores, not counting the corner markets that also rented films.

Today you have Netflix. And yeah, I admit that is cool to have so many films so easily at your fingertips. But still....I miss the days when people had a reason to leave their homes. It's far too easy to behave like a misanthrope when you never have to associate physically with others.
I feel very nostalgic for that time in my life too. And there were no cell phones so when you left the house - you wouldn't always be connected and bothered but could enjoy the moment you were in.
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:38 AM   #56
zompirejoe
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post

I totally agree with all of that. I was born in 1971, but I was able to see a lot of crazy stuff in the theater and the drive in. Up until the early nineties our local theaters used to do midnight showings of all kinds of retro horror films. It was a sad day for me when that ended. There just seemed to be so much more to do back then as well. Even the music had so much more going for it. The video stores were a treasure chest of some of the best worst films of all time. Those were great times. Now, both of my sons are nearly young adults and they laugh at the movies I show them. We watched Deathstalker a few weeks ago, and they could not believe I saw it in a movie theater. Is it a good movie ? Not really. Was it a lot of fun back then (and even now) ? Hell yes !

Now I am just glad my kids are interested in the good old stuff. We find a lot of cool stuff on Netflix as well, but I always find them rooting through my collection and asking me for a recommendation. A lot of the stuff on the list I posted are well loved by the boys and their friends now. Even though I long for the old days, I get a lot of satisfaction from just knowing that.
zompirejoe is offline   Reply With Quote