Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 11-04-2005, 09:40 PM   #16
indiephantom
Horny Spirit

Lot of discussion of Gordon and Lovecraft today...could it be in anticipation of the next "Masters of Horror" episode, "Dreams in the Witch House". You lucky americans get to check it out tonight, but I'll have bells on when Scream airs it tomorrow.

Oh, and "Castle Freak" is freakin' cool.

indiephantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 05:56 AM   #17
DrHerbertWest
For Your Health

I got Castle Freak at work today. If it's out of print, it isn't through my job. Since I got lucky with this, I am trying to order the Maniac (Limited Edition) DVD, which is still listed as in print according to us, and Meet The Feebles, which is out of print according to us but you never know.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:09 PM   #18
Crystal Plumage
Dig me..but don't bury me

I have seen Castle Freak many years ago on video and really liked it.
IIRC it had a very European feel to it.Might be because of the location.

I think I will pick it up soon since a new label here in Holland just released a fine DVD of it at the beginning of this year:

http://gorehoundcannedfilm.com/ffd/i...d=25&Itemid=44

Old 05-12-2008, 09:37 PM   #19
drown021

Interesting cover. I need to rewatch this one as it's been quite awhile since I've last seen it. I remember liking it though especially the part in the dungeon ( I don't know how to do the blue'd out thing for spoilers) where he doesnt have somethin' somethin'.That part was a little freaky.Anyway's,cool to see a re-release.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #20
Katatonia
Master of Doom

88 Films have released Castle Freak on DVD in the UK, and will also release it on Blu-ray in October.

The UK DVD literally blows away the old R1 DVD, which looks like a VHS tape in comparison.

The UK DVD is 16x9 widescreen and looks to be sourced from the original negative prints, and is also fully uncut. It includes the videozone, the Castle Freak trailer (also 16x9 and from a film source), and 10 other FM trailers. It also has reversible artwork.

Comparison review here.

The forthcoming Blu-ray should look fantastic...

Last edited by Katatonia; 09-08-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #21
Stige
HackMaster

If the puppetmaster blu from them is anything to judge the rest by than I am impressed with 88 films, will definitely buy castle freak
Stige is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:37 PM   #22
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
88 Films have released Castle Freak on DVD in the UK, and will also release it on Blu-ray in October.

The UK DVD literally blows away the old R1 DVD, which looks like a VHS tape in comparison.

The UK DVD is 16x9 widescreen and looks to be sourced from the original negative prints, and is also fully uncut. It includes the videozone, the Castle Freak trailer (also 16x9 and from a film source), and 10 other FM trailers. It also has reversible artwork.

Comparison review here.

The forthcoming Blu-ray should look fantastic...
I hope that blu is region free, there is no comparison on those dvd screens! Is the US dvd cut or not? I've read things saying both and although movie-censorship says the dvd is uncut, it still feels like it is trimmed in spots.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:20 AM   #23
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
I hope that blu is region free, there is no comparison on those dvd screens! Is the US dvd cut or not? I've read things saying both and although movie-censorship says the dvd is uncut, it still feels like it is trimmed in spots.
Their Puppet Master Blu-ray is region free, so the chances are good that the Castle Freak Blu-ray will be.

The US DVD is uncut, but many of the background details are often overly dark and can be more clearly seen on the UK DVD. I actually saw some things I could never recall seeing before, but checked them on the US DVD and they are there...just very dark and lacking detail.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:57 PM   #24
Demoni
HackMaster

NEWS FLASH!! According to their facebook page, Castle Freak blu-ray will be released by 88Films on 15/07/13.
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #25
myhorror
Victim

So what is the verdict on the Full Moon Blu Ray? Haven't really heard anyone talking about it and reviews are kind of hard to come by. I went ahead and ordered it but was wondering what people's opinion on picture quality etc. was.
myhorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #26
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhorror View Post
So what is the verdict on the Full Moon Blu Ray? Haven't really heard anyone talking about it and reviews are kind of hard to come by. I went ahead and ordered it but was wondering what people's opinion on picture quality etc. was.
Probably because it was only released early through Full Moons site, and even then most orders were apparently in backorder limbo for quite a while and people who ordered are only now receiving them. According to Amazon, it won't even be available until later this week if you are ordering through them.

This is the only thing I found with a some screen caps from the Full Moon release: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=218544&page=4

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #27
myhorror
Victim

Thanks for the info. I did notice it seemed to be backordered on most sites. Ordered mine through importcds...we shall see.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #28
Crystal Plumage

Only found this for ya:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPncZm0WNlY
Quote:
Stuart Gordon's Castle Freak is coming to Blu-ray for the first time and has been remastered with AMAZING Widescreen color correction, 5.1 surround sound, and an incredible amount of extras:

* NEW: Castle 'Speak' interview with Stuart Gordon
* Lost William Shatner Interviews w/ Stuart Gordon, Jeffrey Combs, and Barbara Crampton
* Original Castle Freak VideoZone
* Full Moon Trailers

Stuart Gordon takes you on a pulse pounding roller- coaster ride in Castle Freak... one of the most macabre thrillers you'll ever experience. John Reilly (Jeffrey Combs -- Re-Animator), Susan (Barbara Crampton -- Young & The Restless) and their daughter come face to face with terror when they travel to Italy to move into a castle they have inherited. They soon discover it is haunted by a relentless blood- thirsty creature. When mutilated bodies start turning up, John must uncover the Reilly family's dark secret to save his wife and child from the sadistic being.

FULL MOON ENTERTAINMENT Presents
A STUART GORDON Film "CASTLE FREAK"
Starring JEFFREY COMBS BARBRA CRAMPTON JONATHAN FULLER and introducing JESSICA DOLLARHIDE as "Rebecca Reilly"
Based on an original idea by CHARLES BAND
Story by STUART GORDON and DENNIS PAOLI
Director of Photography MARIO VULPIANI
Executive Producers ALBERT BAND CHARLES BAND
Art Director FRANCO VANORIO
Edited by BERT GLATSTEIN
Music Composed by RICHARD BAND
Screenplay by DENNIS PAOLI
Produced by MAURIZIO MAGGI
Directed by STUART GORDON

The remastered edition of Castle Freak looks better than ever!
Looks like a different matte (more on the sides and less on top an bottom). Whether or not you like the new look is up to the viewer I guess.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #29
myhorror
Victim

Thanks for the info!
Old 06-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #30
Crystal Plumage

Just in:
Full Moon - Region 0 - NTSC "Castle Freak" vs. 88 Films - Region 0 - PAL vs. 88 Films - Region 'B' - Blu-ray

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/dvd_r...stle_freak.htm