Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > Slashers

Old 06-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #31
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
The fantastic dark and stormy atmosphere keeps it from being boring IMO. The movie is creepy and the unseen killer in the shadows was great. Unlike today's (no talent daddies money paid my film school) digital dork filmmakers this was actually shot on 32mm film.
I probably just need to sit down and watch the film again some dark night. I haven't watched the Vipco DVD in a while... I just wish there was a better transfer of it out there.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #32
Dobby
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
Yeah, shooting on film is expensive, so if you were going to make a movie back then, you had to take it seriously. Which is why '80s films in general are so far above and beyond what's being made today.

Now someone can buy a cheap digital camera, shoot something in their backyard with a group of friends, and get it distributed. Which is great for them, but bad for those who end up watching it. The horror market is currently way over-saturated with this stuff. There's a difference between "indie" and "home movie".
The thing that always wins me over with the Slayer is it was filmed during the heyday of slasher movies. I know it's not a masterpiece I am not denying that at all. I agree with the directors having to take making a film seriously back in the day. That is why there is so many awesome horror films made in the 80's. All we got now is a bunch of rich geeky dorks running around with a digital camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
I probably just need to sit down and watch the film again some dark night. I haven't watched the Vipco DVD in a while... I just wish there was a better transfer of it out there.
Not sure if you read my previous comment from earlier today. I have the better transfer but it's a digitally filtered hot mess.

Quote:
The video file is 1.25 GB and after grabbing the movie off youtube it's a disaster. All they did was run digital filtering through the movie. The image is very pixelized and extremely blocky ugly even the lip syncing is off. I used keepvid to grab the movie and it's awful looking. The reason it looks so good on youtube is cause it condensed into a tiny viewing box. Anyway the image sucks lots of ghosting effects when people or objects move. Best option is just to rip the movie from the original VHS masters that were released in the 80's. As far this movie ever getting an official DVD release I doubt it will ever happen. Anyone know who owns the right to this film???
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #33
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

Quote:
Not sure if you read my previous comment from earlier today. I have the better transfer but it's a digitally filtered hot mess.
I read it, but it sounds like it's not worth messing with if it has so many problems.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #34
Dobby
HackMaster

Quote:
I read it, but it sounds like it's not worth messing with if it has so many problems.
Well it's only noticeable if your a quality freak like me. Still i'm sure most people wouldn't pay the digital effects any attention. if you decided to grab it off youtube just use keepvid. there is no program to download it's just a tiny website. The file is about 1.25GB so you can rip it to DVDr easily. Also the transfer blows away the vipico release but it's still a mess.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:12 PM   #35
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

Quote:
Well it's only noticeable if your a quality freak like me. Still i'm sure most people wouldn't pay the digital effects any attention. if you decided to grab it off youtube just use keepvid. there is no program to download it's just a tiny website. The file is about 1.25GB so you can rip it to DVDr easily. Also the transfer blows away the vipico release but it's still a mess.
Is it this link? Yeah, I can easily see the problems just by playing it for a couple of minutes.

I just use a free browser plugin to download YouTube videos, one click simplicity.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #36
Dobby
HackMaster

Quote:
Is it this link? Yeah, I can easily see the problems just by playing it for a couple of minutes.

I just use a free browser plugin to download YouTube videos, one click simplicity.
Yeah that's it like I said a digital mess filtering doesn't work or fix shit.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #37
Eddyw78
Stalker

Quote:
The guy who uploaded that remastered Slayer on Youtube has said he is doing it again, this time in HD and matting of the top and bottom for widescreen instead of that fake widescreen look he used before. Will have to wait and see if its any better. Would love to get a really good copy of this in DVD or BD(which I doubt!!). Love this movie. Surely one day I can toss out my Vipco disc.
Eddyw78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:31 PM   #38
Dobby
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyw78 View Post
The guy who uploaded that remastered Slayer on Youtube has said he is doing it again, this time in HD and matting of the top and bottom for widescreen instead of that fake widescreen look he used before. Will have to wait and see if its any better. Would love to get a really good copy of this in DVD or BD(which I doubt!!). Love this movie. Surely one day I can toss out my Vipco disc.
Yeah and yes I know he is giving it another shot. However you can not take a VHS rip and digitally filter it to HD. Doesn't matter it will still be a big freaking digital mess. <----- X infinity smileys
Old 06-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #39
Eddyw78
Stalker

Quote:
Yeah and yes I know he is giving it another shot. However you can not take a VHS rip and digitally filter it to HD. Doesn't matter it will still be a big freaking digital mess. <----- X infinity smileys
Oh yes. Only way would be to go back to the original 35mm or similar. Itll look ok for Youtube and nicer than the Vipco DVD but far from definitive. He also cropped the far right of the frame to eliminate some fading which isnt ideal. Just out of interest i take it the Vipco release was open matte(the credits would indicate it was)as i have always matted it off. I always thought the compositions looked better that way.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:59 PM   #40
booper71
HackMaster

I use the FreeMake Video Downloader and grabbed the 720p mp4 file off of youtube. It plays great on my Samsung Bluray via USB stick.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:13 PM   #41
Eddyw78
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by booper71 View Post
I use the FreeMake Video Downloader and grabbed the 720p mp4 file off of youtube. It plays great on my Samsung Bluray via USB stick.
I take it that was the remastered upload we are talking about? Did you change the aspect ratio? That squashy widescreen would have driven me insane.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:30 AM   #42
Dobby
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by booper71 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyw78 View Post
I take it that was the remastered upload we are talking about? Did you change the aspect ratio? That squashy widescreen would have driven me insane.
It's all the same file 720 MP4 1.25GB and like I said it looks like digital filtered poop.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #43
Stige
HackMaster

I have the vipco....is this even worth bothering with?
I also saw demented there and was tempted, bought the video but it goes tracking crazy ever time I use it, FINALLY managed to use a dvd burner to make a halfway decent version but it still stinks.
Stige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #44
Eddyw78
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stige View Post
I have the vipco....is this even worth bothering with?
I also saw demented there and was tempted, bought the video but it goes tracking crazy ever time I use it, FINALLY managed to use a dvd burner to make a halfway decent version but it still stinks.
Isbit worth bothering with? Probably not unless you watch it on the small Youtube screen or your smartphone. Anything larger and it all gets abit smudgy.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #45
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Watched this the other night and thought it was good but the ending is a real letdown. If they wanted to shock the viewer then fine but I had no idea what I was looking at and why it was there. Plus the two minute scene afterwards only further confused me.

Spoiler:
Was the whole movie a dream/premonition or was that last bit a flashback?

I would have preferred a bit more screen time with the killer. It looked interesting and I think it's a shame we never really saw it throughout the film. I'm also surprised this hasn't had a proper release yet. I'd sit though it again with a decent transfer.