Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 06-20-2013, 09:33 PM   #76
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisEvilBastard View Post
But compaired to the Howling trilogy set this Blu-ray is like Transfromers 2
Donīt know whatīs point in comparing that... Everyone assumed first hand that the blu trilogy was going to horrible in the PD.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:17 AM   #77
Zollman
Victim

Heres why it's a disgrace.

-Same transfer as Studiocanal's blu ray without any attempt to correct the blacks or color.
-The 2.0 mix is mistakenly just a stereo downmix of the 5.1 track, the Studiocanal disc actually had the original mono track as 2.0 DTS HD Master Audio.
A simple QC of the disc's audio tracks would have revealed this error.

Packaging and slipcovers mean nothing.
Zollman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:17 AM   #78
JimSmith
Banned Mofo

The Howling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zollman View Post
Heres why it's a disgrace.

-Same transfer as Studiocanal's blu ray without any attempt to correct the blacks or color.
-The 2.0 mix is mistakenly just a stereo downmix of the 5.1 track, the Studiocanal disc actually had the original mono track as 2.0 DTS HD Master Audio.
A simple QC of the disc's audio tracks would have revealed this error.

You mean nothing.
JimSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:28 AM   #79
ThisEvilBastard
Banned Mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post
You mean nothing.
Just watch
Scream Factory's Halloween III Blu-ray and compaired it with their Howling Blu-ray and you'll be disappointed
ThisEvilBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:55 AM   #80
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zollman View Post
The "you only like it because it has a slipcover" argument doesn't work here. On the Scream Factory thread there are pages of people ripping into the new art on all the Scream releases. You can go get mad at the packaging obsessed over at Blu-ray.com if you want to try to get a rise out of people by saying artwork and slips mean nothing.
You want to know why I think The Howling is the best genre release on Blu-ray thus far this year? All of the DVD bonus materials are ported over, even an easter egg interview with Dick Miller (you'd be surprised at how often existing material doesn't get ported over), substantial new material is included (new commentary and 4 new featurettes), and footage that hasn't seen the light of day since Laserdisc is dug up for fans to enjoy (a featurette, extended deleted scenes, and deleted scenes commentary). That is what is important to me when it comes to a re-release. Looking and sounding better than my old DVD (which this does, even if its not the greatest transfer ever) and having the original poster art on the reverse side of the cool new artwork (I actually like a lot of Scream's commissioned artwork) is just gravy.
That's why people love Scream Factory, you can rip into them all you want (which I don't understand at all, the best company for catalog horror since early Anchor Bay and people feel the need to try to tear them apart?), but they give the fans a reason to upgrade, from fantastic new bonus features to simple things such as choice of artwork and retaining existing material as much as possible.

Last edited by fattyjoe37; 06-21-2013 at 09:07 AM.
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #81
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattyjoe37 View Post
The "you only like it because it has a slipcover" argument doesn't work here. On the Scream Factory thread there are pages of people ripping into the new art on all the Scream releases.
And I was probably the biggest anti-slipcover person in that conversation.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:28 PM   #82
JimSmith
Banned Mofo

The Howling

Quote:
The "you only like it because it has a slipcover" argument doesn't work here. On the Scream Factory thread there are pages of people ripping into the new art on all the Scream releases. You can go get mad at the packaging obsessed over at Blu-ray.com if you want to try to get a rise out of people by saying artwork and slips mean nothing.
You want to know why I think The Howling is the best genre release on Blu-ray thus far this year? All of the DVD bonus materials are ported over, even an easter egg interview with Dick Miller (you'd be surprised at how often existing material doesn't get ported over), substantial new material is included (new commentary and 4 new featurettes), and footage that hasn't seen the light of day since Laserdisc is dug up for fans to enjoy (a featurette, extended deleted scenes, and deleted scenes commentary). That is what is important to me when it comes to a re-release. Looking and sounding better than my old DVD (which this does, even if its not the greatest transfer ever) and having the original poster art on the reverse side of the cool new artwork (I actually like a lot of Scream's commissioned artwork) is just gravy.
That's why people love Scream Factory, you can rip into them all you want (which I don't understand at all, the best company for catalog horror since early Anchor Bay and people feel the need to try to tear them apart?), but they give the fans a reason to upgrade, from fantastic new bonus features to simple things such as choice of artwork and retaining existing material as much as possible.
Well said! :-) I have at least two friends on this forum now. Rhett and now you FattyJoe! :-)
Old 06-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #83
JimSmith
Banned Mofo

The Howling

Quote:
Just watch
Scream Factory's Halloween III Blu-ray and compaired it with their Howling Blu-ray and you'll be disappointed
Compaired?! Are you three years old?! It's compared not compaired!
Old 06-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #84
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
the best company for catalog horror since early Anchor Bay and people feel the need to try to tear them apart?
That's because cult film fans are a bunch of whiny bitches would rather cut off their nose to spite their face than shut up a be grateful for the gifts they've received. I am occasionally guilty myself.

95 posts from JimSmith and you'd think the guy owns this place. Does anyone else get the sense he's regular using a second account to troll?

Last edited by crikan; 06-21-2013 at 02:13 PM.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #85
JimSmith
Banned Mofo

The Howling

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikan View Post
That's because cult film fans are a bunch of whiny bitches would rather cut off their nose to spite their face than shut up a be grateful for the gifts they've received. I am occasionally guilty myself.

95 posts from JimSmith and you'd think the guy owns this place. Does anyone else get the sense he's regular using a second account to troll?
Yeah I'm the asshole here. Do you have a problem with me or what?!
Old 06-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #86
Matt89
HackMaster

You know what? After all it is only a blu-ray release of The Howling and NOT the end of the fucking world. If you have a problem with an otherwise awesome blu-ray release, don't fucking buy it. This is clearly the best The Howling has ever looked, regardless of the fact that Shout Factory used the same master as the StudioCanal release. They have to work with what they're given. After all, they don't OWN these movies. They're a distribution company, not a major studio.

~Matt
Old 06-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #87
Stige
HackMaster

I have the studiocanal and new release and thought both looked great.
lots of features etc "nope nothing wrong here"
Stige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:19 PM   #88
Katatonia
Master of Doom

I thought the Blu-ray looked pretty damned good. The questionable color timing is a minor issue, but this is definitely the best it's looked off screen and in the home.

It's not the first movie to have color timing issues, just look at Halloween, Road Warrior, etc.. and there is no guarantee that even a later re-release (i.e. Road Warrior) will correct these concerns. Either accept the faults, or don't buy it and remain happy waiting.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #89
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Were people this upset over the StudioCanal blu-ray?

Do you guys honestly think any other company would have created a brand new transfer?
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #90
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Just watch
I never understood why people point the pros and cons of a conversion comparing them to an unrelated movie conversion.

- Different movie
- Different original stock
- Different everything

The correct thing is to compare a conversion with another edition of the same movie.

In this case, picture wise, the only two editions that exist at the moment share the same print, going so far to say the same conversion.

I donīt intend to point the finger at anyone by saying this but... Overall, first we bitch that said movie in not on DVD, then if it is on DVD we bitch it is not on Blu, then if it in on Blu we bitch that it isnīt perfect... Humans are so hard to please.