Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 06-13-2013, 01:40 AM   #31
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
That's because I'm a fan of slashers. Not sure what is classify this as
I just call this one the movie with the "caked-on makeup" witches. This is perhaps the first movie where the makeup looked more fake than the CGI!

I didn't think it was very good either. Not bad per se... but a popcorn movie to see once, and that's all.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:05 AM   #32
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
I just call this one the movie with the "caked-on makeup" witches. This is perhaps the first movie where the makeup looked more fake than the CGI!

I didn't think it was very good either. Not bad per se... but a popcorn movie to see once, and that's all.
Exactly. I was going to say that the witches looked ridiculous. The one witch at the start was ok but the others looked like glamorous goths dressed up for Halloween. I wanted to see more candy houses, more traps and witches that looked like old hags, not models.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #33
MisterTwister
HackMaster

I was surprised how much I enjoyed this. A lot of fun.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #34
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
Also $13 in stores (if they have any, word is these digibooks are kinda scarce although my Target had 3 copies of 2d and 3 3d books. 3d book is $22.99, but 2d is $13). I picked one up from what's been said here, but after reading some other reviews around the web I'm scared to open it. I'm either gonna love or hate it, no middle ground. Went to Redbox it instead of waiting for a library copy (insanely long list, still 150 people in front of me and I requested weeks ago when it was pre-order), but RB only has the R cut on blu (at least from the specs listed on screen at the RB, if it's really unrated please say so). I'm torn, half of me wants to rip it open and watch it, but the other half wants to take it back and wait for the library disc. But if I love it I'd want the digibook, and it's doubtful to impossible I'll get through the 150 people on the library list within the 90 day return window.

What's the runtime on the Redbox BD (if anyone took this route)? Should be easy to tell if unrated or not. Under 90 is R, around 98 is UR.
If you bought the 3D Digibook and you don't like it I'll buy it off you for full price. We didn't get the 3D Digibook here in Canada and I want one badly!

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:09 PM   #35
crikan
HackMaster

I don't know how anyone that saw the trailer for HANSEL & GRETEL WITCH HUNTERS and thought "that looks really awesome", walked away unsatisfied. I just got done watching it and, wow that is a fun ride. I was shocked by how unflinching the violence and gore was. It's a fantastic action flick that really delivers on that trailer. I can't think of one criticism. A+

Thanks for the heads up on the Target digibook. That was the price I was waiting for.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #36
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikan View Post
I don't know how anyone that saw the trailer for HANSEL & GRETEL WITCH HUNTERS and thought "that looks really awesome", walked away unsatisfied. I just got done watching it and, wow that is a fun ride. I was shocked by how unflinching the violence and gore was. It's a fantastic action flick that really delivers on that trailer. I can't think of one criticism. A+
I agree, although I can think of one criticism: The actor playing Hansel is considerably older than the one playing Gretel (by 15 years) so it's really hard to believe they are brother and sister.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #37
crikan
HackMaster

^^ The Danish Laserdisc has a deleted scene that shows Hansel is a heavy smoker and that caused him to age much quicker.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #38
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
If you bought the 3D Digibook and you don't like it I'll buy it off you for full price. We didn't get the 3D Digibook here in Canada and I want one badly!
Nope, just the 2D as the 3D book was $10 more and I don't have a 3D TV or player. I ended up opening my 2d book and pretty much loved it anyway. Great mindless fun! I'll look at Target for ya during my rounds today, but highly doubt any are left.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #39
Buechlers_beard
Stalker

Watched this the other day. I suppose it was better than Van Helsing (what isn't?).

It may have had some over the top violence and a bit of swearing, but it really seemed like a kids movie to me. The idea was great in theory, but I think they should have halved the budget and recast.... Everyone.

I did like the witches flying in brooms though. Very nicely done.
Buechlers_beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #40
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTwister View Post
I was surprised how much I enjoyed this. A lot of fun.
Thought the same thing.
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #41
Ash28M
HackMaster

Checked this out and it's pretty much the type of horror film I try to avoid. I kind of expected it after watching the trailer but the hype drew me in. It's pretty much Val Helsing with witches. Way too many action sequences with no substance behind them. It's just frivolous junk. I kind of liked the idea of being back the look of witches from folklore though instead of the romanticized look. To bad they wasted it on this film.

Last edited by Ash28M; 06-23-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #42
Buechlers_beard
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash28M View Post
It's pretty much Val Helsing with witches.
Ah yes, Valerie Helsing. Not many people know about her heh heh!

Seriously though. Yes, you're spot on!

Buechlers_beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:16 AM   #43
maybrick
HackMaster

It definitely has a lot in common with Van Helsing, no doubt about it. But where Van Helsing fails miserably, Hansel and Gretel succeeds by:

1) Not taking itself seriously at all!

2) Not relying completely on CGI. There are tons of practical effects and real world location work on display here. Van Helsing felt like all of the acting was in front of a green screen for the entire time.

3) Having a likeable cast.

4) Keeping the script simple and straight forward by focusing solely on witches. Van Helsing, in comparison, was completely convoluted with the need to throw every well known Universal Monster into the mix. It was just sensory overload and flat out didn't work at all.

5) Not having a legacy behind it. In the end this may be what damned Van Helsing the most. It took the Universal classic monsters we all grew up with as it's inspiration and then pretty much set upon bastardizing them by making the film an action film rather than a horror movie like it should have been. Hansel and Gretel in comparison is allowed to be it's own thing because it wasn't held to any real expectations of what it "should" be.

Last edited by maybrick; 06-24-2013 at 01:54 AM.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:26 AM   #44
Ash28M
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buechlers_beard View Post
Ah yes, Valerie Helsing. Not many people know about her heh heh!

Seriously though. Yes, you're spot on!

You've never heard of Van Helsing's long lost sister?
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:50 AM   #45
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
It definitely has a lot in common with Van Helsing, no doubt about it. But where Van Helsing fails miserably, Hansel and Gretel succeeds by:

1) Not taking itself seriously at all!

2) Not relying completely on CGI. There are tons of practical effects and real world location work on display here. Van Helsing felt like all of the acting was in front of a green screen for the entire time.

3) Having a likeable cast.

4) Keeping the script simple and straight forward by focusing solely on witches. Van Helsing, in comparison, was completely convoluted with the need to throw every well known Universal Monster into the mix. It was just sensory overload and flat out didn't work at all.

5) Not having a legacy behind it. In the end this may be what damned Van Helsing the most. It took the Universal classic monsters we all grew up with as it's inspiration and then pretty much set upon bastardizing them by making the film an action film rather than a horror movie like it should have been. Hansel and Gretel in comparison is allowed to be it's own thing because it wasn't held to any real expectations of what it "should" be.
Totally agree! I loved this film. I wanted so badly to like Van Helsing. I don't hate it, but I don't like it either!
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote