Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 06-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #46
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post
Fuck arrow video!
Why?

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #47
JimSmith
Banned Mofo

Because we in the United States have Scream Factory and what's with the colors down at the bottom of the front covers of arrow videos releases?! They're just pretentious! They goofed up the beginning of The Beyond too! They need to ditch the damn rainbow of colors and the white background on the front covers too! It's hideous! A lot of people on here incessantly whines about the newly-commissioned artwork on Scream Factory's releases. Just take a look at arrow videos artwork. You want to talk about some shit! Scream Factory's artwork looks comic book-ish, lots of excitement and energy, arrow videos artwork just looks lame and lazy!
JimSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #48
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Because we in the United States have Scream Factory and what's with the colors down at the bottom of the front covers of arrow videos releases?! They're just pretentious! They goofed up the beginning of The Beyond too! They need to ditch the damn rainbow of colors and the white background on the front covers too! It's hideous! A lot of people on here incessantly whines about the newly-commissioned artwork on Scream Factory's releases. Just take a look at arrow videos artwork. You want to talk about some shit! Scream Factory's artwork looks comic book-ish, lots of excitement and energy, arrow videos artwork just looks lame and lazy!
Not everyone here lives in the United States. And there are plenty of Arrow releases that trump other versions, even if they do have a few transfers that might be better on US releases (and The Beyond still has no American Blu-ray out as of present although coming sometime via Grindhouse). And your real dislike is because you don't like their packaging scheme for the most part, calling it pretentious? Packaging and cover art is a nice bonus when it looks good, but to blatantly dismiss an entire label because of a personal taste of their design scheme (which offered reversible original artwork far before Shout! or Scream Factory did) is a little tough to swallow.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #49
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
01- The colors on the bottom of the Arrow releases are a "color bar generator test signal". It is presented in all their releases except steelbooks. Since Arrow is foremost a label directed to cult releases this is something of old school color tv.

02- They didnīt goofed up the beginning of The Beyond. It was a lab mistake and every label could make one. When they released the corrected version, they offered free replacements for those "wrong" discs.

03- Clearly you talk without knowing because, starting with "Motell Hell", the artwork now occupies the full front of the cover, meaning no white borders anymore.

04- A lot of people may whine about the newly-commissioned artwork on Scream Factory's releases, but also, a lot of people just loves the newly-commissioned artwork on Scream Factory's releases. The same thing happens with Arrow releases, some liked them, and some hate them.

05- I donīt tend to favor Arrow or Shoutīs, or any other release for that matter. I just want great editions of the movies I love, going to some extend to even buy more than one edition of the same movie.

06- I could be wrong but by your remarks your seem to had some issues with Arrow in the past.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #50
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoni View Post
starting with "Motell Hell", the artwork now occupies the full front of the cover, meaning no white borders anymore.
thats disappointing, i like the white borders. it made their releases distinctive.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #51
deepred
Maniac

My only complaint for Arrow was when they were saying their special features would be in 1080P and then they were not which caused compatibility issues for some Region 1 players. Tenebre was a release that was like this.

But they don't seem to have anything region-free anymore. I'd love to have their releases of Spider Baby, Black Sunday and Black Sabbath.

I also liked their old covers. It was cool to have 4 options to choose from.
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:53 PM   #52
Dobby
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
thats disappointing, i like the white borders. it made their releases distinctive.
I honestly have shied away from buying their product anymore. Not over any cover changes but the DNR crap killed the deal.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:34 PM   #53
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
I know itīs just an opinion but I think the releases are better the new way.

Their most recent steelbook is also a beauty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepred View Post
My only complaint for Arrow was when they were saying their special features would be in 1080P and then they were not which caused compatibility issues for some Region 1 players. Tenebre was a release that was like this.

But they don't seem to have anything region-free anymore. I'd love to have their releases of Spider Baby, Black Sunday and Black Sabbath.

I also liked their old covers. It was cool to have 4 options to choose from.
I cannot speak for non European territories as Iīm region B myself but on my player their extras show in 1080p. Sure, there is a feel to the image that tells me itīs not completely HD but surely it is not an upscale.

I enjoyed their option of providing 4 covers but I didnīt like that process as a whole because with time my display cardboard started to get loose. Iīm opting to sell their old editions whenever an unlimited combo is available.

Last edited by Demoni; 06-24-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #54
JimSmith
Banned Mofo

arrow video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoni View Post
01- The colors on the bottom of the Arrow releases are a "color bar generator test signal". It is presented in all their releases except steelbooks. Since Arrow is foremost a label directed to cult releases this is something of old school color tv.

02- They didnīt goofed up the beginning of The Beyond. It was a lab mistake and every label could make one. When they released the corrected version, they offered free replacements for those "wrong" discs.

03- Clearly you talk without knowing because, starting with "Motell Hell", the artwork now occupies the full front of the cover, meaning no white borders anymore.

04- A lot of people may whine about the newly-commissioned artwork on Scream Factory's releases, but also, a lot of people just loves the newly-commissioned artwork on Scream Factory's releases. The same thing happens with Arrow releases, some liked them, and some hate them.

05- I donīt tend to favor Arrow or Shoutīs, or any other release for that matter. I just want great editions of the movies I love, going to some extend to even buy more than one edition of the same movie.

06- I could be wrong but by your remarks your seem to had some issues with Arrow in the past.
Actually I've never bought any of their DVD's/Blu-rays before. I do know about the screw-up over The Beyond and that damn artwork is just hideous. I'm actually glad they got rid of the white background on the front cover. Horror movies should always be/associated with dark, have a dark or black background, you get the idea. I still hate those "color bar generator test signals"!
JimSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #55
hots4
Stalker

all this hatred, god what is wrong with everyone, i'm sure there are more serious things in peoples lives to get upset about !!!!! We should all be happy (i know i am), that we are in a position where companies are releasing genre films on blu, let's be honest we are getting a ton of stuff at the moment, what would you prefer no releases.
hots4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #56
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hots4 View Post
all this hatred, god what is wrong with everyone, i'm sure there are more serious things in peoples lives to get upset about !!!!! We should all be happy (i know i am), that we are in a position where companies are releasing genre films on blu, let's be honest we are getting a ton of stuff at the moment, what would you prefer no releases.
It's the new Horrordvds for 2013, a bunch of whiny bitches with too much time on their hands, working alongside alienated drama queens and armchair psychologists.
When was the last time you read a completely positive thread on here? No wonder this site attracts mostly fucking weirdos now.
Compare this site to that of 2004, 2008, 2010 and it's pathetic.
If you hate Shout! or Arrow, here's an idea-form your own distribution company and release stuff that is up to your lofty standards. People feel they are entitled to have the most obscure of films in top quality with eleven hours of supplemental material and then are disappointed when they fall short.
Drama-Queen-Die seems like Gandhi compared to most of the lurkers on here now.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #57
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Damn.....when is the release date for that The Beyond steelbook?
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #58
dave13
HackMaster

Is it for sure that the two commentary tracks on the Arrow Lifeforce BD are the same as those on the Scream Factory disc? I just finished listening to Tobe Hooper's track, and it was a real disappointment. It seems pretty evident that he doesn't remember a single thing about the making of the movie. The majority of the track ends up being the moderator making a lot of not-especially insightful remarks about the lighting and the effects and the score with Hooper giving answers like "Yeah...yeah."

Fortunately, the movie itself was a lot of fun, and looked and sounded really great. I hadn't seen it since I was a kid watching it on VHS, and about the only thing I remembered was Matilda May. She's certainly amazing, but the rest of the movie is an interesting mishmash as well. I can understand why it wasn't a huge success, though. There are so many different characters in it, and none of them are ever really fleshed out. Even Steve Railsback, the lead, is absent from the film for almost an hour at the beginning.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #59
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropophagus View Post
It's the new Horrordvds for 2013, a bunch of whiny bitches with too much time on their hands, working alongside alienated drama queens and armchair psychologists.
When was the last time you read a completely positive thread on here? No wonder this site attracts mostly fucking weirdos now.
Compare this site to that of 2004, 2008, 2010 and it's pathetic.
If you hate Shout! or Arrow, here's an idea-form your own distribution company and release stuff that is up to your lofty standards. People feel they are entitled to have the most obscure of films in top quality with eleven hours of supplemental material and then are disappointed when they fall short.
Drama-Queen-Die seems like Gandhi compared to most of the lurkers on here now.
I don't know. I've been here an awfully long time and maybe it isn't the board that's changed, its you. You seem to think that you are superior to everybody else here now so maybe its time to take your hotshot marketing job and move on with your life. You've clearly "outgrown" the rest of us. Just my two cents.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #60
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
Damn.....when is the release date for that The Beyond steelbook?
It's another Zavvi exclusive release: http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/the-bey.../10826321.html

I'd put in your pre-order now if you really want it. Some of their LE exclusives do indeed sell out.

Katatonia is online now   Reply With Quote